Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 127 YYZ-YVR departing 2105 has a full meal in J.

A similar length flight at that time on US airlines would have:

UA (p.s.): Hot snack
UA (other routes): Snack basket

AA: Can't find official info but looks similar to UA based on FT thread.

DL: Looks pretty good actually (I believe there's a full meal)

So there's an objective assessment where AC hands-down beats 2 of the 3 big legacies in the US.

You want to talk about service, wine quality, etc., fine. But don't say they're not "at or near the top in anything".
you need to review your info. Because how can AC beat hands down 2 out of 3 when you UA info is WRONG, and you don't know what DL is by you own admission.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit
you might want to review you post, 2 of the # and your WRONG on UA, saying ps is a hot snack and you don't know what Delta is.
so your post is like Skytrax, BS.
I need to run so I can only respond to UA. DL I can look into later.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

I've attached a screenshot in case you have trouble scrolling.

p.s. flights departing "9:01pm, or later" get "Snack, which includes a hot sandwich and chocolate truffle"

My YYZ-YVR departing at 2105 (i.e. 9:05pm) gets a full PLH meal.

You might want to actually check your facts before calling BS.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
I need to run so I can only respond to UA. DL I can look into later.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

I've attached a screenshot in case you have trouble scrolling.

p.s. flights departing "9:01pm, or later" get "Snack, which includes a hot sandwich and chocolate truffle"

My YYZ-YVR departing at 2105 (i.e. 9:05pm) gets a full PLH meal.

You might want to actually check your facts before calling BS.
so you admit UA has a hot meal on some PS flights, and you don't know what DL does, and so 2 out of 3 were wrong or unknown.^

oh internet is brutal here, so yes I do have trouble scrolling.

Also what AC serves as a hot meal is NOT food. you need to try airlines that don't send out emails for happy customers to fill out glowing reports.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Delta is much better than AC. Delta has better customer service and is less stingy about handing out compensations and refunds.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Delta is much better than AC. Delta has better customer service and is less stingy about handing out compensations and refunds.
Delta is subject to oversight by a regulatory agency with teeth. Air Canada like other Canadian airlines can still do as it pleases in the Canadian market.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Delta is subject to oversight by a regulatory agency with teeth. Air Canada like other Canadian airlines can still do as it pleases in the Canadian market.
Nevertheless. Let me give an example: when was the last time that AC provided free snacks and water in the boarding area for a delayed flight? I see it all the time from DL and UA. Who offers you a pre-departure drink in J? Not AC. UA and DL do. Who consistently has fresher food served in J meals and Y snacks. Not AC again. Who has cleaner cabins? Who is upgrading their luggage space to accommodate bags placed on their side (even on some older aircraft)? When was the last time an AC FA removed your jacket from the overhead bin and hung it in the closet without being asked? Who has a custom cocktail to choose from (in Y) in addition to the standard beer, hard alcohol, etc.? Whose miles post to your account overnight? Whose app consistently loads all flights booked and not just some of them? Who provides a bottle of water to every pax in domestic J as part of the pre-boarding prep? Who provides both a pillow and a blanket to every pax in J on narrow body aircraft? Who is better at using their app to notify flyers of a delay?

AC doesn't win even one of those comparisons. Not one.

Don't get me wrong. It is not like AC is a 1 and DL is a 10. It is (for domestic Y and J) probably more like a 7 for AC and a 9 for DL and 7+ for UA in my opinion. I am not saying AC sucks and DL or UA is amazing. It is sort of close. But it in the end, it is no contest, and nobody that regularly flies AC, DL, and UA could possibly conclude that AC is the better airline overall. That is just stupid.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Its insanely stupid to not focus on economy class experience as they represents most of the air travel.
Here is a list of NA airlines that are OBVIOUSLY better than AC for most of the pax.

Porter
Jet Blue
Alaska
Virgin America
Southwest
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
when was the last time that AC provided free snacks and water in the boarding area for a delayed flight?
That I've experienced? Sometime since 2014 on YVR-SFO. It was basically a cart from Y of everything that's free in Y. Pretzels, water, soft drinks, etc.

I see it all the time from DL and UA.
I've never seen it on UA for my delayed flights - mechanical delay, and they refused to do anything because it was under 3 hours (2.5). I haven't flown DL enough to comment on them.

Who offers you a pre-departure drink in J? Not AC. UA and DL do.
Who offers you a drink departing Ontario? Not UA.

I suspect this is largely tax related, though I agree it shouldn't matter.

Who provides a bottle of water to every pax in domestic J as part of the pre-boarding prep?
Certainly not UA.

Who provides both a pillow and a blanket to every pax in J on narrow body aircraft?
Certainly not UA.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
That I've experienced? Sometime since 2014 on YVR-SFO. It was basically a cart from Y of everything that's free in Y. Pretzels, water, soft drinks, etc.

I've never seen it on UA for my delayed flights - mechanical delay, and they refused to do anything because it was under 3 hours (2.5). I haven't flown DL enough to comment on them.

Who offers you a drink departing Ontario? Not UA.

I suspect this is largely tax related, though I agree it shouldn't matter.

Certainly not UA.

Certainly not UA.
DL does all those things.

UA some.

AC almost none.

As I said, my point wasn't to slam AC. It was to point out, for those that don't have the opportunity/reason/curse to fly US airlines much that there is a difference. I have said many times that I get really good in flight service from AC. And I do.

Having said all that I find the notion that they are no 1 in NA just absurd. Absurd in the way that the only way you could think that true is if you didn't fly the others. Heck, AC isn't bad. (Well HD TPAC or TATL is, but in NA they aren't bad.) And I can see why if you only flew with them you might think: "Hey, this isn't bad at all!" And most of the things I pointed out are little things. But many little things add up. And I just don't get how anybody that flies a lot on a bunch of different airlines could believe they are no. 1. Absurd.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by flybit
you need to review your info. Because how can AC beat hands down 2 out of 3 when you UA info is WRONG, and you don't know what DL is by you own admission.
In all fairness when you don' t take into account IROPS handling , overbooking, tickets being cancelled for no reason or the sched. changes that involve Aeroplan tickets Air Canada has a pretty good hard product when compare to US carriers. Us carriers for the most part don't have seat back entertainment, meal service on short transborder flights ( i.e YUL-ORD ) or access to lounges when travelling on domestic flights ( or transborder in the case of AA).

It' s ( at least to me) in service recovery that US airlines ( and their employees) win hands down. For example, DL will re-route me on AF or KLM during IROPS, AA will do the same with BA. Try getting AC to re-route you on their partners UA or LH and they are very reluctant to do it, even on a full J . Too much effort for them.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Its insanely stupid to not focus on economy class experience as they represents most of the air travel.
Here is a list of NA airlines that are OBVIOUSLY better than AC for most of the pax.

Porter
Jet Blue
Alaska
Virgin America
Southwest
Southwest? No. Porter? Maybe - Porter has 34" pitch because they fly out of YTZ which is the same reason the Q400s on AC Express have 34" pitch. It is not out of the kindness of their CEO.

The other airlines - yes, I would agree with that.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
You know, threads about rankings and comparisons always ended up being a "Mine is Bigger" debate.

Does it really matter?

This is some ranking and survey info from the Skytrax site. (bolding mine)

"The survey is not restricted to member airlines or a pre-selected choice of airline, and any airline in the world can be nominated. A key directive of the survey is for customers to make their own, personal choices as to which airline they consider to be the best, underlining the brand as the Passenger's Choice Awards."

These are a few of the items listed under Methodology:

RESPONDENT NATIONALITIES
A total of 105 customer nationalities participated in the survey.

RESPONDENT NUMBERS
19.87 million eligible survey entries counted in the final results.

SURVEY LANGUAGES
Customer surveys were provided in English, Spanish and Chinese.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...thodology.html

Being ranked number 1 in North America only means something to the airline. I would like to know how many people who go to buy a ticket think, oh, I should fly AC because of their ranking on Skytrax.

And seriously, it's North America we're talking here.

I did not see Air Canada or any of the U.S. 3 on the list of the 20 best airlines in the world

Many of these are competitors to AC on an international level. Maybe AC should aspire to be on this list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-be...6/#20-asiana-1
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
What I don't understand is why people are writing which airlines are better, but basically have never flown them. I have a rule, if you have not flown a airline a min of 5x in a year, don't write about them. Airline websites are not a good measuring stick at all.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Why?

In Y, only thing that matters is price, price, price.

OK, maybe that's why people like AC Y?

Makes them feel they paid the right price. Cheapest. Hence the good rating. Satisfied customers.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: HH Silver
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...ne-Awards-2018

Air Canada named Best Airline in North America at the Skytrax World Airline Awards 2018

MONTREAL, July 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada was named Best Airline in North America for the second consecutive year at the 2018 Skytrax World Airline Awards ceremony held today in London. It is the seventh time in the past nine years the carrier was selected as the best in North America by the World Airline Awards, which are based on passenger satisfaction surveys of approximately 20 million global travellers.

"We are very pleased that Air Canada has again been recognized as the Best Airline in North America by the highly respected Skytrax World Airline Awards. This is the seventh time in nine years Air Canada has been honoured with this award, demonstrating our successful transformation into a leading global carrier. I thank our 30,000 employees who are the true winners of the Skytrax Award, for delivering superior service while transporting more than 48 million customers a year safely to their destinations," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive Officer of Air Canada.

"This award shows that our customers, whom we thank for their continued loyalty, appreciate the investments Air Canada is making to deliver service that is the best in North America and increasingly recognized as industry-leading globally. This includes ongoing investments in customer service training, as well as our fleet renewal program, our strategic global network expansion, and the recent launch of Air Canada Signature Service, an end-to-end premium travel experience," said Benjamin Smith, President, Airlines and Chief Operating Officer at Air Canada. "I also thank our employees for their unwavering commitment and together, we look forward to introducing further enhancements for customers, such as the current roll-out of satellite Wi-fi on our widebody fleet, the delivery of the new Airbus A220-300 (formerly known as the Bombardier C Series) aircraft next year, and beyond that the launch of our new loyalty program, which will offer additional earning and redemption opportunities through an advanced digital experience."

Edward Plaisted, CEO of Skytrax, said: "Air Canada achieved a remarkable success winning this top accolade as the Best Airline in North America for the seventh time. Air Canada demonstrates that it is truly a passenger favourite as it continues to receive such a vote of confidence from customers."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.