Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mapleg
I pony up my own money if I fly in a premium cabin. In fact, in any cabin it is my own money since I don't travel on business at all.

Don't golf either.
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
You are amongst a small minority in this forum in both regards!
Count me in as part of that small minority. On both counts.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Skimmed article... thread tldr...
  • AC FA right for protecting J from abuse.
  • AC FA wrong for not recognizing a medical situation, resulting in an unsafe situation for Y pax seated immediately behind child.

Grandma, likely not a frequent flyer, didn't know to say "Sorry for intrusion. This is urgent; child must go now, access to other lav blocked by service. Recommend action?"

If this happened, AC FA very much at fault. Otherwise, was likely just 3 strikes, you're out.. FA too lazy to ask what the issue is, which is more related to customer service, I suppose another issue.

Ticketing agent is stupid, clearly. Long term solution? Eliminate J like WS.

Edit: If I was sitting in 7K or 7A (say on dreamliner) AND I complained, then FA is totally right. =) But come on, in J you're preoccupied with kitkats, food, IFE, etc, etc... oh, and scotch.

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Jun 19, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
You are amongst a small minority in this forum in both regards!
There are more of us than you think.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It seems pretty clear that grandma wasn't prepared for any hiccups.

If there had been turbulence and the seat belt sign had come on early, the little girl wouldn't have been able to get up and use the toilet.

If the little girl had suddenly decided she had to go (again) during final descent and taxi, she would not have been able to get up and use the toilet.

Grandma was pretty lucky, all things considered. I've struggled when we've been #26 to takeoff and I was ready to explode by the time we took off, reached 10K and the pilot finally shut the sign off.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
What about it actually 'bothers' you? Does it bother you if you are in row 1 and someone with bladder control in row 3 has to go multiple times in a flight? What if I am with my 3yr old in row 3 and she needs to pee a lot? Does that bother you?
If you want to use the J lav 3 times in the first half of the flight, pay for J.

Otherwise, use the Y lavs.

I pay for J for a more relaxed environment. Less traffic in the aisle. Less-used (so shorter/no line, and cleaner) lav.

If you have paid for J, fine. But I have never seen a flight where ONE person from Y uses the J lav. It's either zero or many.

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Skimmed article... thread tldr...
  • AC FA right for protecting J from abuse.
  • AC FA wrong for not recognizing a medical situation, resulting in an unsafe situation for Y pax seated immediately behind child.

Grandma, likely not a frequent flyer, didn't know to say "Sorry for intrusion. This is urgent; child must go now, access to other lav blocked by service. Recommend action?"
Or she'd already used that excuse the first two times?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
I'm sure if she had explained to the FA working the cart that it was an emergency and her granddaughter needed to use the restroom, they would have pulled the cart up past their seats to allow the adult/child to pass.

But.... another reason to ban children from aircraft.
Some awful people in all of this, but the thought of banning children just for your convenience sickens me the most.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Some awful people in all of this, but the thought of banning children just for your convenience sickens me the most.
For everyone's convenience, not just my own. Kids running around the aircraft like it's a playpen at McDonalds, kicking seats or jumping around like it's a jungle gym, screeching like banshees... They don't have to be banned on all flights, keep one per route that allows kids.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
What about it actually 'bothers' you? Does it bother you if you are in row 1 and someone with bladder control in row 3 has to go multiple times in a flight? What if I am with my 3yr old in row 3 and she needs to pee a lot? Does that bother you?
If you paid for a seat in J, by all means use that lavatory as many times as you want. You paid for the privilege.

Sitting in Y? Use the lav you paid for. You have to share it with 30 other rows because that's the fare you chose. You don't get to go to a Michelin star restaurant and only pay the cost of a happy meal just because McDonalds is "inches away" next door.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by kb9522
Sitting in Y? Use the lav you paid for. You have to share it with 30 other rows because that's the fare you chose. You don't get to go to a Michelin star restaurant and only pay the cost of a happy meal just because McDonalds is "inches away" next door.
Bingo.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

I am an older women. As happens, we frequent need to pee, frequently! I fly J. Minimal to no lines is one of the reasons. I would be beyond furious if I stood, painful,waiting for grandma and toddler to finish.

That being said, why can't I sit in the front of Y and use the business bathroom. I bet my bladder muscles are only negligibly stronger than the kids.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
AC FA wrong for not recognizing a medical situation
I don't recall reading the youngster had to go potty due to a medical condition but I may be wrong.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I am an older women. As happens, we frequent need to pee, frequently! I fly J. Minimal to no lines is one of the reasons. I would be beyond furious if I stood, painful,waiting for grandma and toddler to finish.

That being said, why can't I sit in the front of Y and use the business bathroom. I bet my bladder muscles are only negligibly stronger than the kids.
One time, sitting in 1D on a 320, the cart was in the aisle, and Y pax started lining up in J for the lav. The SD had to kick them out of the galley.

Then one person's butt got way too close to my face for comfort (1D is right on the aisle), so I grabbed my empty glass, walked to the galley, and mentioned 3 things:

1. I'd like a refill
2. There are a bunch of Y pax in the J aisle. (cart blocking the way, blah blah)
3. One of them has her butt in my face. (SD said she'd deal with it)
4. I have to pee.

For #4 , she held the line and let me go next
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tcook052
I don't recall reading the youngster had to go potty due to a medical condition but I may be wrong.
It's certainly not in the CBC article.
------

Otherwise.....

These quotes from the grandma tell me that she is a poor planner and has her own sense of entitlement.

"Ruby had finished potty training months earlier, so Osmond did not think to have a diaper on hand. She says she didn't have a change of clothes ready either, because she hadn't flown with a small child in about 15 years."

Once back in Calgary, Osmond says Air Canada offered her a 25 per cent discount off her next flight, a $200 voucher and some toys for Ruby, but the 44-year-old says she's looking for a full refund and she'd like to hear from the flight attendant directly.

I'd like her to have to call and apologize and maybe she'll think twice about how she acts in the future," Osmond said."

---

Well, I'd like to have Grandma Osmond call me.

And I'd like her to apologize for publicly showing how poorly organized she is to fly across the country with a 2 year-old.

I'd like her to apologize to Air Canada and the flight attendant for the ridiculous self-absorbtion she has that a flight attendant should call her to apologize.

While we're at it, she can apologize to FB, FT, and all the other media and readers who are arguing about this.

Oh, and many of you know what I mean, but apologies to any of you who may have missed my shot.

<I feel better now>
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Perhaps these issues could be avoided if Air Canada undertook an education effort. It need not be extensive, but could focus on some simple explanations in a clear manner. Instead, Air Canada like many other North American carriers, confuses customers and fosters unrealistic expectations.

Look at the food references;
Meals & Beverages - Air Canada Café
Satisfy your cravings with a snack, a light bite or a full and satisfying meal on board. Our experienced culinary team creates economy menus to be affordable to purchase and a delight to your taste buds. Sit back, relax, and savour the cuisine we offer in the air.
Air Canada Café is available in Economy Class on most flights of 90 minutes or more when you travel on Air Canada and Air Canada rouge. Offerings include a variety of snacks and beverages as well as a fresh selection of meal items on flights of two hours or more departing before 10 pm

There is a small mention elsewhere that there is a charge. However, why not be clearer about the cost?

Nowhere is it mentioned that J lavs are for J cabin pax. Sometimes a quick pre takeoff statement is made, but people either do not hear or forget. It is especially obvious that the message does not get through with some of the people.

Another irritant is the whinging of the Y pax who demand pillows and blankets.
A pillow and blanket kit and earphones available for a nominal fee is stated by AC on its website. Well, how about making it crystal clear with a mention onboard as well. And instead of saying "nominal", why not be honest and say $10 or whatever the cost is.

A one page insert in the "award winning" enroute or a 2 minute youtube blurb would help. Even a plastic card pocket insert would help.
And most effective of all would be to stop boarding Y customers through business class. NH, BR, JL, SQ, CX do not board the same way as AC. I believe that the method blurs the distinction between the cabins and the Y pax do not think it matters if they use the J lav. What's so difficult in closing the curtains or having a stickie on those curtains that says business class pax only?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
In my city, all the 4yrold / 5yr old preschools require potty training before you can enroll.

Even kindergarten and first grades (age 5-7) make parents keep a bag with a 'just in case' change of clothes.

Grandma should done some similar planning before taking the girl anywhere, let alone an airplane whose seat was damaged due to her negligence. What about the passenger with a bag (or worse--open toe sandals) directly under the girl's seat?

Lack of adequate restrooms, without a long wait, is ABSOLUTELY a factor for us when booking PY or J over Y cabin. Economy comes with many downsides. The passenger-to-lav ratio is abysmal on higher density routes, such as 10 across seating on 450 seat 777s.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.