Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Armed RCMP in YEG Gate Area Today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Armed RCMP in YEG Gate Area Today

Was on AC170 today YEG-YYZ, walked up to the MLL in YEG at about 11:45AM across from Gate 52/54 this morning to see a RCMP officer in front of the doors to the MLL with a HUGE semi Automatic Rifle in his hands. He was generally looking around the gate areas.

Sorry, no picture....just walked by him really quickly and in a really wide berth to head inside to get my soup and cookie.

Anyone else see this today? Maybe AC's new policy to lower the visitors to the MLL?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by mjschill
Was on AC170 today YEG-YYZ, walked up to the MLL in YEG at about 11:45AM across from Gate 52/54 this morning to see a RCMP officer in front of the doors to the MLL with a HUGE semi Automatic Rifle in his hands. He was generally looking around the gate areas.

Sorry, no picture....just walked by him really quickly and in a really wide berth to head inside to get my soup and cookie.

Anyone else see this today? Maybe AC's new policy to lower the visitors to the MLL?
Maybe not that common in Canadian airports, but I do see it around a doz times a year in Canadian airports. Other airports around the world, basically every time.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Member

New IDB policy?
​​​​​​​
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Maybe not that common in Canadian airports, but I do see it around a doz times a year in Canadian airports. Other airports around the world, basically every time.
In front of the MLL though? I've seen a lot of armed police at airports (try London UK the day the Olympic athletes return) but I've never seen one guarding a MLL.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94
In front of the MLL though? I've seen a lot of armed police at airports (try London UK the day the Olympic athletes return) but I've never seen one guarding a MLL.
Most likely just walking around. No big deal at all.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I've never seen a large firearm of any kind in a Canadian airport. I know I don't fly as much as you, but I find it hard to believe it's that common.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 17, 2017 at 3:58 am Reason: off topic
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe some airline employee called the police in response so a customer service dispute? Did you see any dragging of passengers?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
MLL and Plaza/Amex/WestJet lounge share the same entrance. He was there to protect the Plaza Premium lounge from being stormed by the MLL guest when they look across the hall and see meat balls with pasta and proper cappuccino.

The police do this from time to time at all the airports. Even airports without MLL.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE
A few years back I saw a similar sight in YEG. The boys even did a lounge walk through.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe some airline employee called the police in response so a customer service dispute? Did you see any dragging of passengers?
Little early in the morning to be doing the drive out to the airport, drink AC's booze, cancel ticket trick.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've never seen anything like that in Canada.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 17, 2017 at 3:58 am Reason: off topic
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:40 am

Probably related to the hoax 911 call about a non-existant active shooter at YYC. Police proactively increasing their presence at a nearby airport.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This is not a one off occurrence. I have seen them at the YEG MLL desk a few times in the past week or two, a well as at the gates upon boarding, especially I just the low 50s gate area.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Fantastic.. So now the lack of real food is a police matter under investigaton!

Also, any law enforcement would not need to trick their way in to a MLL (or be guested by an 8yr old SE as Drunkcargo was last month in YVR or YYC). I read a report where police officers in uniform doing a security patrol were refused admittance to an amusement park at the main turnstyle without buying tickets. Relented real quick when police chief got involved.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Thanks for this post. I know you had a serious question, but I found it entertaining.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never seen a large firearm of any kind in a Canadian airport. I know I don't fly as much as you, but I find it hard to believe it's that common.
Originally Posted by smallmj
I've never seen anything like that in Canada.
Last year on a couple of separate occasions, there were heavily armed RCMP at YVR and heavily-armed police of some sort at YYZ. They tend to appear when there is some high alert down south or some "event" has occurred elsewhere. In both cases, I saw them in the terminal, not airside.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
...The police do this from time to time at all the airports. Even airports without MLL.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by expert7700
Fantastic.. So now the lack of real food is a police matter under investigaton!.....
Someone called law enforcement because they ran out of tortillas in the MLL, or wait, there was a spoon stuck in the hummus .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.