Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by FocusGuy
It is very hard for me to call this issue "resolved" since my flight is in 5 days and there still isn't a charge on my cc, 18 days after purchase. But thanks to this forum I got some peace of mind that people with the same issue are actually allowed to fly and then get billed later. That totally works with me.
You'll be fine. If there is an issue, there are those here who will try to help.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:03 pm

Finally posted

My charges went through for the tickets. The separate seat assignment costs are still pending. I am good with that as long as the reservation is confirmed and paid for. Whew!
Originally Posted by Stranger
Mine just posted too. just one day before billing day...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by imverge
Once the pre-authorization falls off the account there is no guarantee it will be approved again as the cardholder may be close to his/her limit and no sufficient credit is available. That's just one example.
This is not quite correct. Once the charge is authorised, the merchant obtains an authorisation number. They can then post the transaction much later using that authorisation as long as the amount does not exceed what was originally authorised, and the financial institution is required to honour that.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
My charges went through for the tickets. The separate seat assignment costs are still pending. I am good with that as long as the reservation is confirmed and paid for. Whew!
See people, there is reason for optimism.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I'm surprised people are so happy to see that AC finally took their money.

This is FlyerTalk right?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by D582
This is not quite correct. Once the charge is authorised, the merchant obtains an authorisation number. They can then post the transaction much later using that authorisation as long as the amount does not exceed what was originally authorised, and the financial institution is required to honour that.
I have a merchant account so I know exactly how this works.

If the merchant doesn't post the transaction within 5-7 business days (depending on card issuer) that authorization is no longer valid and will drop off the account and the credit that was suspended to support the charge becomes available once more.

The merchant will then have to try and obtain another authorization and post the charge once again within the 5-7 days.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I have a merchant account so I know exactly how this works.

If the merchant doesn't post the transaction within 5-7 business days (depending on card issuer) that authorization is no longer valid and will drop off the account and the credit that was suspended to support the charge becomes available once more.

The merchant will then have to try and obtain another authorization and post the charge once again within the 5-7 days.
While I don't have a merchant account, based on 20+ years of having credit cards I would agree. However, in our case, AC's pre-auth dropped off for a solid 2 weeks, and yet they still managed to charge our card after a refund was issued and the ticket cancelled? How did they manage that?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Data point here

Aeroplan pts used for Eva Air flights. Purchase made on aeroplan website on June 12, charge of $54 showed up as pending for a few days, then completely disappeared.

Flight was today, flew on Eva with no issue, still havent been charged
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:46 pm

Hey everyone.

I purchased a Air Canada ticket for Calgary to London Heathrow on June 13. I used my visa debit card and was charged for the ticket. On June 20th a "correction" was made on my account in the amount of my ticket. I immediately phone Air canada and was told my ticket is still valid and it was a pre-authorization and that I would be charged for my ticket in a few days. It is now June 23rd and I still haven't be charged. I fly on on Tuesday ( the 26th) and I'm at a loss of what to do. Do i call air canada again or just wait and see?
Has anyone had their tickets cancelled due to this? I can still log on to the air canada website, view my booking and make changes so, I'm thinking I'm still okay?

Thanks! Im a really nervous flyer and this is not helping
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
While I don't have a merchant account, based on 20+ years of having credit cards I would agree. However, in our case, AC's pre-auth dropped off for a solid 2 weeks, and yet they still managed to charge our card after a refund was issued and the ticket cancelled? How did they manage that?
Am I correct in understanding:

A) You purchased a ticket and a pre-auth from AC was activated on your CC account.

B) You cancelled the ticket and received a refund before the charge was eventually posted after the fact.

?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ashlee Lackovic
Hey everyone.

I purchased a Air Canada ticket for Calgary to London Heathrow on June 13. I used my visa debit card and was charged for the ticket. On June 20th a "correction" was made on my account in the amount of my ticket. I immediately phone Air canada and was told my ticket is still valid and it was a pre-authorization and that I would be charged for my ticket in a few days. It is now June 23rd and I still haven't be charged. I fly on on Tuesday ( the 26th) and I'm at a loss of what to do. Do i call air canada again or just wait and see?
Has anyone had their tickets cancelled due to this? I can still log on to the air canada website, view my booking and make changes so, I'm thinking I'm still okay?

Thanks! Im a really nervous flyer and this is not helping
Welcome to FT

If you can see your ticket on Air Canada's website with the ticket number you are OK.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:28 pm

Welcome to FT

If you can see your ticket on Air Canada's website with the ticket number you are OK.
Thank you!!

That does make me feel a bit more at ease! I may try contacting them again just to be sure. I fly out in a few days so, hopefully there will be no issues at the airport!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi ,

I have the same thing happened to me.
On June 12, I bought a ticket on aeroplan website for YUL-ZRH-TLX with Swiss Air with my points, and paid 200$ taxes.

Then on June 13, I saw my master card credit rise 200$ but the transaction of Aeroplan/Air Canada did not appeared yet.

Then on June 15, the credit drop 200$, and still not transaction of the ticket I bought !

On June 16, I called Swiss air, and confirmed my ticket.

Should I be worried ? Should I call Aerroplan or Swiss Air that they didnt charge the 200$ taxes ??

I am concerned that my ticket will be cancelled but on the other hand, got a chance to not pay the 200$ !! ;-)

Thanks for help
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm surprised people are so happy to see that AC finally took their money.

This is FlyerTalk right?
Some of us need AQDs.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I bought two tickets on June 13th that have showed up as charges on my credit card this morning (previously pending for a couple of days before falling off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.