Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Old Jun 23, 17, 2:59 pm
  #76  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,093
Originally Posted by FocusGuy View Post
It is very hard for me to call this issue "resolved" since my flight is in 5 days and there still isn't a charge on my cc, 18 days after purchase. But thanks to this forum I got some peace of mind that people with the same issue are actually allowed to fly and then get billed later. That totally works with me.
You'll be fine. If there is an issue, there are those here who will try to help.
24left is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:03 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 121
Finally posted

My charges went through for the tickets. The separate seat assignment costs are still pending. I am good with that as long as the reservation is confirmed and paid for. Whew!
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Mine just posted too. just one day before billing day...
Oxnardjan is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:21 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ/SFO
Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Posts: 2,672
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
Once the pre-authorization falls off the account there is no guarantee it will be approved again as the cardholder may be close to his/her limit and no sufficient credit is available. That's just one example.
This is not quite correct. Once the charge is authorised, the merchant obtains an authorisation number. They can then post the transaction much later using that authorisation as long as the amount does not exceed what was originally authorised, and the financial institution is required to honour that.
D582 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:25 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,093
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan View Post
My charges went through for the tickets. The separate seat assignment costs are still pending. I am good with that as long as the reservation is confirmed and paid for. Whew!
See people, there is reason for optimism.
24left is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:16 pm
  #80  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,167
I'm surprised people are so happy to see that AC finally took their money.

This is FlyerTalk right?
longtimeflyin is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:40 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by D582 View Post
This is not quite correct. Once the charge is authorised, the merchant obtains an authorisation number. They can then post the transaction much later using that authorisation as long as the amount does not exceed what was originally authorised, and the financial institution is required to honour that.
I have a merchant account so I know exactly how this works.

If the merchant doesn't post the transaction within 5-7 business days (depending on card issuer) that authorization is no longer valid and will drop off the account and the credit that was suspended to support the charge becomes available once more.

The merchant will then have to try and obtain another authorization and post the charge once again within the 5-7 days.
imverge is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:50 pm
  #82  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,167
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
I have a merchant account so I know exactly how this works.

If the merchant doesn't post the transaction within 5-7 business days (depending on card issuer) that authorization is no longer valid and will drop off the account and the credit that was suspended to support the charge becomes available once more.

The merchant will then have to try and obtain another authorization and post the charge once again within the 5-7 days.
While I don't have a merchant account, based on 20+ years of having credit cards I would agree. However, in our case, AC's pre-auth dropped off for a solid 2 weeks, and yet they still managed to charge our card after a refund was issued and the ticket cancelled? How did they manage that?
longtimeflyin is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:17 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Posts: 174
Data point here

Aeroplan pts used for Eva Air flights. Purchase made on aeroplan website on June 12, charge of $54 showed up as pending for a few days, then completely disappeared.

Flight was today, flew on Eva with no issue, still havent been charged
nli007 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:46 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Hey everyone.

I purchased a Air Canada ticket for Calgary to London Heathrow on June 13. I used my visa debit card and was charged for the ticket. On June 20th a "correction" was made on my account in the amount of my ticket. I immediately phone Air canada and was told my ticket is still valid and it was a pre-authorization and that I would be charged for my ticket in a few days. It is now June 23rd and I still haven't be charged. I fly on on Tuesday ( the 26th) and I'm at a loss of what to do. Do i call air canada again or just wait and see?
Has anyone had their tickets cancelled due to this? I can still log on to the air canada website, view my booking and make changes so, I'm thinking I'm still okay?

Thanks! Im a really nervous flyer and this is not helping
Ashlee Lackovic is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:51 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
While I don't have a merchant account, based on 20+ years of having credit cards I would agree. However, in our case, AC's pre-auth dropped off for a solid 2 weeks, and yet they still managed to charge our card after a refund was issued and the ticket cancelled? How did they manage that?
Am I correct in understanding:

A) You purchased a ticket and a pre-auth from AC was activated on your CC account.

B) You cancelled the ticket and received a refund before the charge was eventually posted after the fact.

?
imverge is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:54 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by Ashlee Lackovic View Post
Hey everyone.

I purchased a Air Canada ticket for Calgary to London Heathrow on June 13. I used my visa debit card and was charged for the ticket. On June 20th a "correction" was made on my account in the amount of my ticket. I immediately phone Air canada and was told my ticket is still valid and it was a pre-authorization and that I would be charged for my ticket in a few days. It is now June 23rd and I still haven't be charged. I fly on on Tuesday ( the 26th) and I'm at a loss of what to do. Do i call air canada again or just wait and see?
Has anyone had their tickets cancelled due to this? I can still log on to the air canada website, view my booking and make changes so, I'm thinking I'm still okay?

Thanks! Im a really nervous flyer and this is not helping
Welcome to FT

If you can see your ticket on Air Canada's website with the ticket number you are OK.
imverge is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:28 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
Welcome to FT

If you can see your ticket on Air Canada's website with the ticket number you are OK.
Thank you!!

That does make me feel a bit more at ease! I may try contacting them again just to be sure. I fly out in a few days so, hopefully there will be no issues at the airport!
Ashlee Lackovic is offline  
Old Jun 24, 17, 10:09 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 11
Hi ,

I have the same thing happened to me.
On June 12, I bought a ticket on aeroplan website for YUL-ZRH-TLX with Swiss Air with my points, and paid 200$ taxes.

Then on June 13, I saw my master card credit rise 200$ but the transaction of Aeroplan/Air Canada did not appeared yet.

Then on June 15, the credit drop 200$, and still not transaction of the ticket I bought !


On June 16, I called Swiss air, and confirmed my ticket.

Should I be worried ? Should I call Aerroplan or Swiss Air that they didnt charge the 200$ taxes ??

I am concerned that my ticket will be cancelled but on the other hand, got a chance to not pay the 200$ !! ;-)


Thanks for help
curvenut is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 4:08 am
  #89  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,562
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
I'm surprised people are so happy to see that AC finally took their money.

This is FlyerTalk right?
Some of us need AQDs.
Stranger is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 11:49 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 6,076
I bought two tickets on June 13th that have showed up as charges on my credit card this morning (previously pending for a couple of days before falling off).
Adam Smith is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread