Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Free Preferred Seat for Star Gold?

Question: Free Preferred Seat for Star Gold?

Old Jun 14, 17, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ G; FB G; HHonors Gold;
Question Free Preferred Seat for Star Gold?

Hi,

I have just done the online check in and chosen the Preferred Seats for me (*G) and my wife (no status).

Economy
Booking Class: K
from Germany to YYZ

Even though the "select seat" page mentioned "Preferred seat selection
Applicable fees and taxes will apply when you change your seat."

But no where showed how much I need to and how to pay. Now check-in is done and I get two Preferred Seats for free? Even for my wife without status?

Some IT glitches or maybe hidden benefit? Will I be charged tmr?

I have booked via OTA, not directly via AC. Will they charge the OTA and then to me? (I don't think it is possible but...)

I have searched the forum and the feedback is that the preferred seats are not free for *G.

Tks
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by wavyfly View Post
Hi,

I have just done the online check in and chosen the Preferred Seats for me (*G) and my wife (no status).

Economy
Booking Class: K
from Germany to YYZ

Even though the "select seat" page mentioned "Preferred seat selection
Applicable fees and taxes will apply when you change your seat."

But no where showed how much I need to and how to pay. Now check-in is done and I get two Preferred Seats for free? Even for my wife without status?

Some IT glitches or maybe hidden benefit? Will I be charged tmr?

I have booked via OTA, not directly via AC. Will they charge the OTA and then to me? (I don't think it is possible but...)

I have searched the forum and the feedback is that the preferred seats are not free for *G.

Tks
Preferred seats are free during check-in. (24 hours before flight)
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:47 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
Not true at all. I suspect OP benefited from an IT glitch. Here is what AC.com has to say:

Enjoy complimentary Preferred seat selection:

When you travel on a Latitude fare
As an Altitude Super Elite 100K member** travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward
As an Altitude Elite 75K member** travelling on a Flex fare
As an Altitude Elite 50K member** travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.

Save 50% on Preferred seat charges:

As an Altitude Elite 50K member** travelling on a Flex fare between Canada and an international destination
As an Altitude Elite 35K or Prestige 25K member** travelling on a Flex fare
** Applies also applies to your travel companion(s) on the same booking
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
This used to be the case when Preferred Seats were first introduced, but AC started charging at check-in a while back (at least a year ago), so this is not supposed to be the case any more.

I believe that some people would end up with Preferred Seats free at check-in if all the regular seats were taken, but my understanding is that this was the luck of the draw and you couldn't select or change those seats without a charge.
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
This used to be the case when Preferred Seats were first introduced, but AC started charging at check-in a while back (at least a year ago), so this is not supposed to be the case any more.

I believe that some people would end up with Preferred Seats free at check-in if all the regular seats were taken, but my understanding is that this was the luck of the draw and you couldn't select or change those seats without a charge.
Ah, ok...I didn't realize a change was made here. I keep forgetting that my SE status actually has some benefits, beyond IKK. LOL
Old Jun 14, 17, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat
So ... does Star Gold get free preferred seats? Or did OP benefit from a glitch?
Old Jun 14, 17, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PB53x11 View Post
So ... does Star Gold get free preferred seats? Or did OP benefit from a glitch?
It is a myth...

I guess IT glitch.
Old Jun 14, 17, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin View Post

When I check in, more than 30% seats are still empty. Don't think it is full.
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Preferred seats are not free at check-in. Unless all seats are taken, in which case you'll normally get GTE and either IDBed or thrown into one that becomes available. Preferred or otherwise.

I believe if you (re-) checkin at the airport you may be able to get it for free though that is likely not official policy and would be contingent upon those being the only seats available.

I have no idea what happens if you try to check in online and there are only preferred seats available. I suspect GTE unless you pay.

Maybe this is an actual *G or otherwise enhancement. But I suspect it's AC IT.
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Its AC IT.
Has been going on for years.
Hit and miss, but seems to always work on lowest (K) intl fares.