Search

How much bonus miles will I get?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
zaf
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
How much bonus miles will I get?

Its been a while since I posted on FT. So i hope everyone is doing well.
I am on a quest to get a decent status on either one world or start alliance. Given that I live in Canada, Star Alliance seems like the most appropriate choice. My target is Elite 35k or Elite 50k. Not sure if I can make the latter in the next 6 months (I currently only have 3k miles since I have been traveling on miles for the past 6 months).

I have AmEx Plat which gives me decent lounge access around the world (when you include priority pass), and expedited security lane at Pearson (my current home airport). Ideally, if I reach Elite 50k I would get both lounge access + VIP security lane at more airports, which honestly can be very useful.

With that in mind I have been trying to be smart on how I plan my future trips. I have a trip to the middle east. I was looking at flying premium economy. If I book a premium economy rate but on one of the sectors the aircraft doesn't have premium economy (so I am put on economy) will I get 125% altitude miles that comes with premium economy or will I get less?
I am guess I will get less. But thought I would ask.

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at the booking codes for each leg, and check on aeroplan.com to find what percentage of the miles you will get. If on Y/B, 125%. if on M, 100%.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
You will get less, if the connecting airlines (such as Lufthansa, Egyptair, or Turkish Airlines) do not have the equivalent premium class fares with Air Canada fare matching. As Stranger said, you can find out the booking classes, and find what you will receive in your Aeroplan account based on those booking classes.

What i found is that often, when you do Air Canada website searching, they map you a lower class seat, such as economy, or other discount fares. This is why you most likely receive less Aeroplan miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.