Any point in going for E100k?

Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Any point in going for E100k?

Hi Folks,

I am a LHR-based flyer and my standard flying is on DL - Usually LHR-JFK and LHR-SFO every couple of weeks along with a bunch of asia travel for work and fun. I have been a top tier flyer on DL for 20 years. With all of the *A flying I have been doing, I have been putting my *A miles on my AC account. That has worked out well so far and I am on track to easily hit 100k miles on AC as well this year (and meet the diminished AQD requirement).

My question - As someone that is LHR based and rarely actually flies AC, is it worth it to go for E100k? I could spread my flying out on OW and that way I would have Diamond on DL, Gold on *A (through AC) and Gold on OW. That seems more valuable to me than pushing for the AC 100k status (and not earning status on OW).

I am curious for opinions here.

TFD
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't know why you'd bother earning status on an airline you don't fly.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If OP is getting $10,000 AQD he is almost certainly travelling on AC at some point, no? It's not as if you can just ticket arbitrary *A flights on 014 with no AC metal on the itinerary.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
If OP is getting $10,000 AQD he is almost certainly travelling on AC at some point, no? It's not as if you can just ticket arbitrary *A flights on 014 with no AC metal on the itinerary.
OP said "rarely actually flies AC".
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Yes it is worth it if you plan to fly them a few times per year, but it depends on whether having OW in your quiver helps you more. If only flying AC once in a blue moon, go for status on all three alliances.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Hi Folks,

I am a LHR-based flyer and my standard flying is on DL - Usually LHR-JFK and LHR-SFO every couple of weeks along with a bunch of asia travel for work and fun. I have been a top tier flyer on DL for 20 years. With all of the *A flying I have been doing, I have been putting my *A miles on my AC account. That has worked out well so far and I am on track to easily hit 100k miles on AC as well this year (and meet the diminished AQD requirement).

My question - As someone that is LHR based and rarely actually flies AC, is it worth it to go for E100k? I could spread my flying out on OW and that way I would have Diamond on DL, Gold on *A (through AC) and Gold on OW. That seems more valuable to me than pushing for the AC 100k status (and not earning status on OW).

I am curious for opinions here.

TFD
Nah don't worry. It's not worth it.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you aren't actually flying much AC to make use of upgrades and concierge access, you should consider crediting your *A flying to United. Their program is very generous for non US residents (no $ spend requirements, minimum 4 segments per year on UA metal to get status), and the redeemable miles are a lot more secure than AC right now due to the impending end of the Aeroplan / AC partnership. Redeemable miles earned today on AC may not be usable on anywhere near the same terms after 2019.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It is not that I don't fly AC, I only fly them maybe 4-5 RTs for year LHR-YYZ and LHR-YVR. I consider this "rarely" given my other flying patterns. I also like ACs redemption options for miles better than other *A carriers like M&M and UA.

TFD
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
It is not that I don't fly AC, I only fly them maybe 4-5 RTs for year LHR-YYZ and LHR-YVR. I consider this "rarely" given my other flying patterns. I also like ACs redemption options for miles better than other *A carriers like M&M and UA.

TFD
Do you fly Y or J? If Y SE would allow you to upgrade without a co-pay, along with better redemption offerings. Not sure even that is worth an extra $5.5-$7k spend though for maybe 5 TATLs.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Do you fly Y or J? If Y SE would allow you to upgrade without a co-pay, along with better redemption offerings. Not sure even that is worth an extra $5.5-$7k spend though for maybe 5 TATLs.
I always sit in J but I try to buy Y and upgrade whenever possible (I own the company).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My personal opinion? There is no point going for any status if you are flying 10 AC Intl segments a year between major stations.

J gives you almost everything being SE would; about the only thing I can see you won't get would be concierge access outside of the airport. There are also a number of AE benefits like no intl. YQ but you're not really earning enough miles to make use of them at a decent rate of return prior to 2020. Not if you are based outside of NA.

I'm assuming you normally LMU or even bid where the rates are reasonable.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
No. I am content with the *A Gold and in accruing my miles to Skymiles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.