Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Late Departure=Late meal? (AC 1966 - YYZ-TXL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm taking this flight next week and the departure time is 11:30pm. Now i'm assuming they will serve a "supper" on the flight but at midnight or after midnight? I have never flown so late so i just want to be sure.

Can you actually tell the FA to leave it in the galley and eat the meal later say for breakfast? I'm assuming Rouge gives you the banana bread for "breakfast" on European flights. I know this is a weird question but i almost want to take the meal in a doggy bag when we arrive in Berlin.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by LO 044
I know this is a weird question but i almost want to take the meal in a doggy bag when we arrive in Berlin.
Are you serious? Berlin is such an awesome city for delicious, affordable, fresh, and creative food offerings, and you're considering taking AC's unhealthy, low quality in-flight meal to eat later?

IME, $20 at a decent restaurant on the ground in most major cities will beat J meals on most carriers (AC for sure). Y on Rouge? That's just nuts to me!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Are you serious? Berlin is such an awesome city for delicious, affordable, fresh, and creative food offerings, and you're considering taking AC's unhealthy, low quality in-flight meal to eat later?

IME, $20 at a decent restaurant on the ground in most major cities will beat J meals on most carriers (AC for sure). Y on Rouge? That's just nuts to me!
My point is why waste the meal and why even serve it after midnight in the first place. I don't need a lecture on the fine cuisine of Europe trust me on that but traveling with three little kids begs the question as to when i can feed them on the 8 hour flight as the banana bread breakfast won't cut it after they fall asleep on take off and wake up hungry before landing. We will have plenty of time for great European meals later on however the 8 hour flight + a 2 hour wait + a 3.5 hour train ride with 3 kids in tow makes things a bit more difficult.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K
My point is why waste the meal and why even serve it after midnight in the first place. I don't need a lecture on the fine cuisine of Europe trust me on that but traveling with three little kids begs the question as to when i can feed them on the 8 hour flight as the banana bread breakfast won't cut it after they fall asleep on take off and wake up hungry before landing. We will have plenty of time for great European meals later on however the 8 hour flight + a 2 hour wait + a 3.5 hour train ride with 3 kids in tow makes things a bit more difficult.
Definitely didn't intend to lecture, but rather a genuine expression of surprise.

And no where did I suggest that one should only opt for fine dining in Berlin. In fact, my point is that any €5 train station sandwich or €3.5 kebab available at every street corner in Berlin will put AC's inflight meal (especially stored overnight) to shame.

To each their own I guess.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:22 pm

With such a late departure I suggest you eat in the terminal, either before security or after. I don't find the food options at YYZ to be particularly inspiring, but AC food really is pretty appalling overall so you wouldn't be missing out on anything special or plentiful. We are flying ex YYZ next week TATL and will be bringing our own food, even though we are in PY, which is what we always do. We once saw a family 5 on a LAX-YYC flight on AC bring a large pizza on board and then eat it. I think most of the cabin was jealous as it smelled so good! So, there's lots of ways to do it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by arf04
We once saw a family 5 on a LAX-YYC flight on AC bring a large pizza on board and then eat it. I think most of the cabin was jealous as it smelled so good!
I've done something similar with Swiss Chalet chicken, my parter and I got 2 quarter chicken dinners to go and ate on board. I could have sold it for quite a bit!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by capedreamer

All I can say, RACE TO THE BOTTOM. Yes, it is nuts. Forget $20, for 2 to 3 euro, you can get a great bun with ham.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I've done something similar with Swiss Chalet chicken, my parter and I got 2 quarter chicken dinners to go and ate on board. I could have sold it for quite a bit!
Now there's an idea. Get a bucket of chicken and sell it for $3 a piece lol.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Rouge doesn't offer "flexible dining" as this is generally something in line with International Business Class on mainline. That's not to say that you won't find somebody who will accommodate the request, but it's not the standard.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
People its freeze dried food for god's sake!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If I were travelling with kids on that flight I would forget the too-late supper and bring my own breakfast. Even bag of croissants from the Dollarama would be better than the dreaded banana bread, and there would be enough to fill you up instead of just whetting the appetite. Of course you could bring whatever you want for brekkies, though in some countries you wouldn't be allowed to leave the airplane with it. I think the EU is fine though.

The point is that you won't be hungry after takeoff but you will want more and better food than AC provides before landing. Bring it yourself to eat shortly before landing, especially if your post landing day is tiring.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan
And don't let yourself or your spouse feel like you are wasting money by not eating the AC supper. Think of the AC flight as a visit to a crazy old relative who feeds you TV dinners and thinks that they are a special treat. Smile politely and just get through it.

Be assured that if you did get the meals at a useful time, at least two of your kids would refuse to eat it anyway.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I must confess. The OP asks a fairly basic question about when/if/what food will be served on the flight. A flight that is overnight about about 8 hours.

The responses have been less than polite and downright critical that (s)he shouldn't wait for the flight to land, so to eat in Berlin, people talking about bringing Swiss Chalet, pizza and a bucket of KFC onboard.

What is so wrong with simply answering the question instead of lecturing the OP on the finer points of Berlin restaurants. They just want to know when/if they get a meal.

I've never flown this route (I avoid Rouge) so I can't answer, but lets try not to insult the OP any further.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
if I were traveling with three kids, I'd pack some goodies in your carry on to give them enroute. Depending on what it is, you may not be able to take it into Germany but that will at least keep them happy until you can get to your ultimate destination.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I must confess. The OP asks a fairly basic question about when/if/what food will be served on the flight. A flight that is overnight about about 8 hours.

The responses have been less than polite and downright critical that (s)he shouldn't wait for the flight to land, so to eat in Berlin, people talking about bringing Swiss Chalet, pizza and a bucket of KFC onboard.

What is so wrong with simply answering the question instead of lecturing the OP on the finer points of Berlin restaurants. They just want to know when/if they get a meal.

I've never flown this route (I avoid Rouge) so I can't answer, but lets try not to insult the OP any further.
People are offering alternative solutions because the one requested by the OP is simply not possible. AC Y flight attendants go down the aisle shouting "chicken or beef?" like those are the only two words they know. An attempt to have a meal served at any other time than meal time in Y is less likely to receive a positive response than asking after the nearest Whole Foods in Islamabad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.