FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Lounge at FCO - The Current Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1846809-air-canada-lounge-fco-current-status.html)

TheCanuckian Jun 7, 2017 2:58 am

Air Canada Lounge at FCO - The Current Status

I've seen a number of threads in this forum about a lounge Air Canada passengers can access at FCO (Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport in Rome). It seems like the situation has fluctuated quite a lot lately, but here's the situation as of June, 2017.

There is no Maple Leaf Lounge in Rome. Neither is there a Star Alliance lounge. However, Air Canada has worked out a deal with Alitalia to use their lounge in Terminal 3, by the E gates. So after you pass the very bored passport control officers, proceed through the inevitable duty free area, and to the very end of the corridor. As you reach the end (it's not very long) you'll see an Alitalia help desk and then the terminal branching off to the left and right. Take the left fork, and you should begin to see signs to the lounges. An escalator leads to the British Airways and Alitalia lounges. Head into the Alitalia lounge and present your Altitude card (since, at least in my case, it wasn't enough to just show a boarding pass, even though it had my status printed on it). And that's it.

The lounge isn't the nicest in the world, nor the biggest, but it's pleasant enough and has reasonable food choices--mostly pastries and the like. There was also a tray with scrambled egg, sausage, and potato. The downstairs is beautifully air conditioned (the best AC I've had since landing in Rome) while the upstairs, which is quite a lot smaller, is almost unbearable. They announce boarding for AC flights, which is helpful.

(It is possible there is a second lounge available to AC passengers, but once I found this one I just settled in.)

This thread has been superseded my a master thread with a directory of all AC contract lounges. Please visit that thread for information on FCO lounge access. Adam Smith, AC Forum Moderator

djjaguar64 Jun 7, 2017 5:35 am

Isn't FCO a Rogue route? So I don't think AC cares if there is a lounge there or not as its not viable.

PB53x11 Jun 7, 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 28413527)
Isn't FCO a Rogue route?

No, mainline. I flew out of FCO a few weeks ago, but didn't have time to use the lounge.

JustSomeGuy1978 Jun 7, 2017 8:06 am

Mainline ex-YYZ I believe. It's Rouge out of YUL during off peak season (again IIRC)

Stranger Jun 7, 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978 (Post 28413987)
Mainline ex-YYZ I believe. It's Rouge out of YUL during off peak season (again IIRC)

Currently mainline, both YUL and YYZ. And flights seem to fill up in J.

Indeed they now use the Alitalia lounge, which is actually nicer than the previous one(s).

And there are concierges.

However the barramundi stinks.

Bohemian1 Jun 7, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for this.

Will be flying FCO - YYZ towards the end of June. It's either this or the Avia Lounge through Priority Pass.

yyccdg Jun 7, 2017 2:34 pm

I was in the Alitalia lounge on June 3, I agree that the upstairs is unbearably warm with all the AC downstairs. The other funny part was the step in the bathroom, the other three members in my party missed the step on the way out even though it is caution taped. I think it it because it is right beside the garbage so as you are drying your hands, you are focused on getting straightened up and walk right off. The food wasn't bad and the staff pouring drinks real friendly but it was better than hanging around the departure gate. Our departure gate was a long walk from the lounge though.

Stranger Jun 7, 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by yyccdg (Post 28415757)
Our departure gate was a long walk from the lounge though.

Ours was abut as close as it gets.

flyquiet Jun 7, 2017 9:25 pm

I used that lounge but it was for crap. Not a seat to be had. Impossible to recall what there was to eat because I was juggling rather than consuming. Gong show.

DNAwizard Jun 9, 2017 9:41 am

Currently in FCO. Will update when I leave on June 12.
Hopefully it won't be as bad as described by other posters!
Ciao ;)

Bohemian1 Jun 9, 2017 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by DNAwizard (Post 28422772)
Currently in FCO. Will update when I leave on June 12.
Hopefully it won't be as bad as described by other posters!
Ciao ;)

Grazie.
Leave some sottaceti for me.

DNAwizard Jun 14, 2017 5:44 am

3 Attachment(s)
Flew back on June 12 but AC891 FCO-YYZ was cancelled and ended up returning on AC893 FCO-YUL which basically eliminated the time I had to enjoy the lounge. AC uses the Casa Alitalia lounge. Went in for 10 min to have a look and grab a caffè.

This was around 11 am. The lounge was essentially empty. Lots of seating everywhere. The lounge was also very clean, including the washroom.

Food offering was very good (see pics). There was also a station for cook-to-order meals/omelets.

Arrivederci.

Doverffej Jul 23, 2017 4:11 am

Air Canada Lounge at Rome Fiumincino

Just want to confirm that the Canuckian's review is entirely accurate. Air Canada has an agreement to let business class passengers use the Alitalia lounge and it's exactly as he describes. Not too big or great, and the upstairs is super hot while the main level is fine. Not a ton of food available. This was July 23, 2017.

Bohemian1 Jul 24, 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Doverffej (Post 28595077)
Not too big or great, and the upstairs is super hot while the main level is fine.

Ditto for me on a recent flight. We were sitting in the very full downstairs, people would come in go upstairs, come right back down and leave. I went up to use the WC and it was sweltering.

A nice touch was that they were issuing announcements for the AC flights as well, which I did not expect.

Nazdoom Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I was in this lounge in May flying LX. There are some nice lounging chairs but the spread and cleanliness were below average. There were some RCMP in the lounge proudly displaying their AC and RCMP baggage tags (right after G8 summit), so my guess is this has been contracted by AC since at least May.