Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLL lounge in Calgary for International Departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MLL lounge in Calgary for International Departures

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by KDS777
We were told that there was going to be a *A lounge in the new terminal, and it didn't happen. Just one of the many documented big time screw ups (I am being extraordinarily polite here) with the new terminal they built.
Was this actually announced? I don't remember this.

AC never had a lounge in transborder as far as I know.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
I don't think anyone is suggesting that AC needs 3 lounges at YYC, but they really do need 2 (domestic and transborder). It's much easier to move from the Domestic-Intl than it is Domestic-Transborder, as for the transborder area, you need to clear security again and customs. Plus, the number of Star Alliance departures from the Intl area much lower vs. the transborder area.

If you look at the YYC transborder area as a standalone terminal, it has much higher passenger volumes that other airports that already have a MLL or are getting one:
YYC transborder; 3.2 million passengers
YXE total airport: ~1.5 million pax
YQR total airport: ~1.2 million pax

AC and UA top tier pax traveling to popular business destinations like ORD, DEN, SFO, and IAH are often out of luck for lounge access at YYC because of the lack of a MLL or Star Alliance lounge. This is a major gap in lounge access at a Star Alliance hub.
I had no idea that YYC TB had a not-small pax volume. I guess the UA flights really adds to the volume.

It's been a while since I've flown TB directly out of YYC now. Remind me again, what the access for the Aspire TB lounge is like?
1) AC flight, J
2) AC flight, *G
3) UA flight, J
4) UA flight, *G

For INTL flights, AC flights J & *G have access to the Aspire lounge.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cooleddie

Many years ago they did have a Transborder lounge. That disappeared at some point, due to airport expansion.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Many years ago they did have a Transborder lounge. That disappeared at some point, due to airport expansion.
I don't recall AC ever having a TB lounge.

There may have been a CP one that immediately after the merger, AC pax could use for a short while? But I don't really remember that either.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I had no idea that YYC TB had a not-small pax volume. I guess the UA flights really adds to the volume.

It's been a while since I've flown TB directly out of YYC now. Remind me again, what the access for the Aspire TB lounge is like?
1) AC flight, J
2) AC flight, *G
3) UA flight, J
4) UA flight, *G

For INTL flights, AC flights J & *G have access to the Aspire lounge.
For the examples above, access for Aspire as follows:
1) AC flight, J - Yes
2) AC flight, *G - Yes
3) UA flight, J - No
4) UA flight, *G - No

A good portion of the transborder volume is on UA, especially on business heavy routes like IAH, DEN, SFO, and ORD, so plenty of *Gold passengers do not have lounge access at the new terminal. Access to the Aspire lounge for customers on AC metal is also more limited (more limited guests than MLL, no access for E35).
Old May 14, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Yes I think it was an old CP lounge (see confirming posts from 2006/7 below). It was very small but did the trick for the short time it existed. It faced north from the old US departures area. Think they turned it into a Tim Horton's or some other food place.

LINK TO OLD POST on YYC LOUNGE

and
LINK TO OLD POST RE TIM'S EMPRESS LOUNGE

and description of two lounges in this area (apparently the US one was formerly a DL club)

OLD POSTS ON TWO INTERNATIONAL MLL LOUNGES

Last edited by BlondeBomber; May 14, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: found older post describing lounge
Old May 14, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't recall AC ever having a TB lounge.

There may have been a CP one that immediately after the merger, AC pax could use for a short while? But I don't really remember that either.
Yes, it was a former Empress lounge. Think of the same physical position of the AC domestic lounge superimposed on the B pier.

However it was quite small but still bigger that the old Empress/Maple Leaf lounge at the far end of the B pier that handled the London and Frankfurt flights.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by cooleddie

Yeah they did. And, the planned *A lounge info was transmitted to me personally by a friend who has worked inside the airport authority for years.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:05 am

YYC - MLL reviews?

Anyone have experience with the MLL at YYC.

We have a 3.5 hour connection from YUL to NRT in YYC.
We will arrive around 9AM and can chill out in the lounge for about 3 hours.

Is the food good or should we be buying breakfast / lunch elsewhere. Also should note I am using an Aeroplan TD Visa to get in for free and need to know if it is worth paying for my partner to get in or just skipping it all together.

Thanks,
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Jebus05
Anyone have experience with the MLL at YYC.

We have a 3.5 hour connection from YUL to NRT in YYC.
We will arrive around 9AM and can chill out in the lounge for about 3 hours.

Is the food good or should we be buying breakfast / lunch elsewhere. Also should note I am using an Aeroplan TD Visa to get in for free and need to know if it is worth paying for my partner to get in or just skipping it all together.

Thanks,
Honestly, I wouldn't bother, especially if you have to pay for entrance for your partner. By 9AM, the only breakfast offerings will be muffins, yogurt, etc. and then for lunch, the flatbread will come out around 11AM.

I would just either go straight to the International terminal and dine at the Vin Room (which has breakfast until 11, then lunch after, and was good the last time I dined there) or go out of the secured zone, and eat at the Marriott in the terminal connector. You'll have to reclear security into the International terminal, which shouldn't be a huge hassle, as the NRT flight is the only departure in the 12-2 period.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:16 am

Thanks for the information I think we may skip it.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by gcashin
If you look at the YYC transborder area as a standalone terminal, it has much higher passenger volumes that other airports that already have a MLL or are getting one:
YYC transborder; 3.2 million passengers
YXE total airport: ~1.5 million pax
YQR total airport: ~1.2 million pax
Interestingly all of Air Canada's "major" hubs have three MLLs (I love how AC continues to refer to YYC as a hub but then in almost every important announcement uses "major" hub, i.e., all hubs but YYC). It is odd given this level of traffic and the presence of MLLs in foreign airports YYC still has no trans-border MLL. On the plus side, there is enough around on the trans-border side to do without a lounge and there's space even when busy... but sucks if you have a membership or status for sure. Perhaps we should start a pool to see who makes it first, AC, or WS?
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I might be misremembering, but I could've sworn YYC MLL (domestic) had a station where a chef would make food right in front of you like in YUL intl. I didn't see anything like that today. Did they remove it, or is my recollection faulty?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by pewpew
I might be misremembering, but I could've sworn YYC MLL (domestic) had a station where a chef would make food right in front of you like in YUL intl. I didn't see anything like that today. Did they remove it, or is my recollection faulty?
It was there a week ago or so. Not that the chef was often there. I have only seen them there once or twice in the past few months--I just happen to travel at the wrong times I guess.

Even when food is being served, it often comes out from the back not from a chef.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
I went through the MLL in YYC around noon last Tue & Wed and both days their was a chef making flat bread and using the ovens in the front. I also hit the YYC Aspire Lounge TB and it was actually pretty dismal for food although decor and comfort was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.