Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is nutrition information for meals available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon

Is the nutrition content for long haul meals published anywhere? I did a search and all that came up was partial information for BoB, but not for the complementary meals on long haul flights.

I did the YYC-LHR last week and to me the meals in Y seemed very salty, I was quite thirsty afterward. Not to mention nasty, the vegetarian pasta was all that was left when they got me, I doubt that meal could have cost them more than 25 cents to produce.

I was curious what the salt content of that meagre meal was, it felt saltier than a "family size" bag of potato chips.

Last edited by Jagboi; Jun 1, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
All food has been standardized across the AC fleet.

1500 calories per item
800 mg sodium per item
250 g sugar per item
0% flavour
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian

1500 calories per item
800 mg sodium per item
250 g sugar per item
0% flavour

LOL

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is the nutrition content for long haul meals published anywhere? I did a search and all that came up was partial information for BoB, but not for the complementary meals on long haul flights......
No and many of this forum have posted in the various food thread etc that it would be nice to have.

I would suggest getting this info is not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
.....I did the YYC-LHR last week and to me the meals in Y seemed very salty, I was quite thirsty afterward. Not me to mention nasty, the vegetarian pasta was all that was left when they got me, I doubt that meal could have cost them more than 25 cents to produce.

I was curious what the salt content of that meagre meal was, it felt saltier than a "family size" bag of potato chips.

Salt used a flavouring is an issue for many people on the ground, let along when flying. IIRC, there was discussion in the food threads about how palates are different at altitude and food recipes are altered/adjusted to accommodate for this difference.

While I think herbs and spices would be the better way, sodium costs much less than good quality herbs. Also, many herbs only work best when fresh while others work fine in dried form.

Some of AC's meals are much saltier than others. not sure if that is more of an issue in dishes with sauces.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dorian

1500 calories per item
800 mg sodium per item
250 g sugar per item
0% flavour
But it's got what plants crave.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That sodium figure looks low.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: TK *G
I remember seeing a bag of CX Y main course (before being put on the meal tray) with nutrition label on it. So perhaps AC's food has this information as well? As for where to find it, try emailing AC? This can take ages of course, if AC cares to reply.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
That sodium figure looks low.
Not for a starter.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
FYI

Health Canada lists the suggested maximum average daily sodium intake at 2300 mg.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutriti.../index-eng.php

The average Air Canada pickle clocked in at 1208

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.