FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Same Day Changes (SDC) and Standby on Air Canada (2019 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1845630-same-day-changes-sdc-standby-air-canada-2019-onwards.html)

AskTravis Nov 2, 2021 11:44 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33695687)
No. SDC can only touch AC-operated segments.

Thanks, I didn't know that!

I think I'll book the Lat flight pass LIS-YYZ as back up, hope it clears before Friday, and if not, I'll cancel it when I wake up Friday and use my existing ticket.

Adam Smith Nov 2, 2021 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 33695695)
Thanks, I didn't know that!

I think I'll book the Lat flight pass LIS-YYZ as back up, hope it clears before Friday, and if not, I'll cancel it when I wake up Friday and use my existing ticket.

Keep in mind that, if you do that, AC may auto-cancel one of the reservations. See this thread for more information on duplicate bookings.

therossinator Nov 4, 2021 2:24 pm

I have a flight coming up, HNL-YVR-YYZ-YYT. SDC is offered at check in but the HNL-YVR and YYZ-YYT flights are the same. The only variability is the YVR-YYZ flight. In fact, there are three different YVR-YYZ flights I can pick from. The problem, I’m not able to see what any of those flights are. All I can see are the overall trip departure time, overall trip arrival time, and layover airports. I’ve tried viewing in both mobile and on a computer and same level of detail. The phone agent wasn’t able to help either because it was related to the check in process. The gate agents at the airport don’t get there until this evening and I’m worried that the seats on the flight I want may get taken by then. Any thoughts on how to know what I’m SDCing to before I click confirm? If I click confirm, will it give me an overview before “really” committing to the SDC? Can I SDC multiple times if I give it a shot and get it wrong?

If I select one of the flights in the screenshot, the only options are confirm or cancel.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ad0a959201.png

canadiancow Nov 4, 2021 2:31 pm

If you want to send me your booking reference and last name, "I" can tell you what they are, but I don't think there's a way for you to see.

But no, this is one area they're seriously lacking.

Maybe on a larger screen, it would show more info? But I seem to recall running into this myself.

sweden05 Nov 6, 2021 10:38 pm

I’m booked YOW-YYZ-DEN-DFW today because YYZ-DFW was sold out at time of booking. The DEN-DFW segment is an AC codeshare operated by United. The YYZ-DFW option is now Y5 but the concierge is telling me they can’t do a same day change because the original itinerary contains a flight that’s not operated by AC. They are willing to reticket and charge the fare difference (which is very large).

Is the SDC prohibition correct in this case?

Thanks

canadiancow Nov 6, 2021 11:02 pm

Yes that is correct

yyzgigi Nov 7, 2021 3:29 am

The flexibility on SDC even for non flight pass tickets seems to be gone. I booked YYZ-YVR-YYJ and YYJ-YVR—YYZ in econo. Going out I was able to get the concierge to move me to YYZ-YYC-YYJ the day before at the checkin window, at first I had to convince him that I didn’t have to wait until midnight then he has to speak to someone and he was able to force it through. However, i tried the same YYC connection for my return flight and the concierge refused to do anything other than look at other YYJ-YVR-YYZ options. She basically said that there were often larger fare differences on other routings so they were not able to change routings.

I mentioned that they changed it on the way out, but she was unwilling to speak to anyone and was only willing to offer the options the system presented to her which were the same i saw in OLCI. Not sure if I should have tried again with someone else but feels like they are making SDC pretty useless for all bookings.

sweden05 Nov 7, 2021 5:51 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 33708299)
Yes that is correct

Update: that’s what the concierge desk told me, but at the airport the customer service agent made the change, after reviewing the rules and interpreting that she wasn’t allowed to move me ONTO a non-AC-operated flight, but could move me OFF one onto a shorter all-AC routing.

She may have interpreted the rules incorrectly (I don’t know) but the system did let her do it. I guess it’s always worth asking.

canadiancow Nov 7, 2021 11:37 am

The system will let you reticket AC basic economy onto EK F.

That doesn't mean it's within policy.

The only thing that's going to happen if people keep asking for (and succeeding at) doing out of policy changes is that they'll lock it down even more so that it becomes impossible to do something like a routing change. (Oh wait it seems we may be at that point)

Adrade Nov 9, 2021 9:44 pm

Same Day Change for Discount Biz Class... included?

I have read through the forums here and several pages online that discuss Air Canada's same day change policy and cannot for the life of me figure this one out.

If I have booked a flight earlier in the day in Business using Aeroplan points (lowest price Business) and want to change my ticket to a flight later that day, is such a change included at no charge? I've never done a same day change on Air Canada and am unsure if the difference in business award type has any impact. The fare rules available during booking don't really clear anything up as they don't speak to same day changes.

The part of the fare rules which I can see:
Spoiler

On other websites, I've read explanations saying, "Air Canada’s Premium Economy, Comfort Class, and Business Class fare includes a free same-day flight change. In other words, passengers holding a refundable fare are not required to pay Air Canada same-day change fee." But, this is a Business class ticket that is not fully refundable. During booking, the website seems to indicate that lowest level award business includes changes for a fee but doesn't say anything with respect to the same day changes policy.

On Air Canada's website, one grid showing features of each fare class lumps all business into one bucket and says "included" when it comes to same day changes. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-canada.html#/

So, appealing to the experts here with all the experience, has anyone had any problems with a low level business award doing a same day confirmed change? Also, if not, and I am hoping not, Air Canada also says "Same-day confirmed changes can be completed at time of check-in."... is this true or does it have to actually be the same day (after midnight) to process online the same day change?

Thank you to all for the help!

yvr76 Nov 9, 2021 10:16 pm

I've flow twice this year on a (domestic) Business (P or Z) fare, and done a SDC without charge at check-in. I used to have to call the concierge each time to do this (past midnight), it's pretty painless now on the mobile app, and I've done this as soon as T-24.

Not sure when this changed, but it also used to be a $75 fee on Business lowest, and only complementary on the refundable fares (similar to PY right now).

Adrade Nov 14, 2021 10:43 am

Well, I gave the same-day change a shot on a low level business award (I) YUL->YYZ and I was forced to pay $115 for the same-day change even though on AirCanada.com, it says all business class tickets get free same day changes. All very confusing.

swgsword Nov 14, 2021 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Adrade (Post 33727828)
Well, I gave the same-day change a shot on a low level business award (I) YUL->YYZ and I was forced to pay $115 for the same-day change even though on AirCanada.com, it says all business class tickets get free same day changes. All very confusing.

Same experience on YYZ-YUL on an I aeroplan ticket... ended up doing standby.

bcard519 Nov 19, 2021 6:29 pm

SDC, same city, different airport

75K ticket booked in flex.
YOW-YYZ-YOW

Could I do a SDC to YOW-YTZ to YOW-YYZ.
might need the later departure out YYZ .

It talks about Extra flexibility on Toronto-Ottawa- Montreal flights, just curious

Thanks

Adam Smith Nov 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bcard519 (Post 33743991)
75K ticket booked in flex.
YOW-YYZ-YOW

Could I do a SDC to YOW-YTZ, YYZ-YOW.
might need the later departure out YYZ .

It talks about Extra flexibility on Toronto-Ottawa- Montreal flights, just curious

Historically, it was possible to SDC between co-terminals. I've not done YTZ for YOW, but switched EWR to LGA or vice versa on multiple occasions, as one example.

All my experiences were before Amadeus though.