Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Standby on Air Canada (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith

Same Day Changes & Standby

Note: This is a long wiki, with over 40 Q&As. If you only see a bit, then find and click on the "Show more" link which can be found at the very end of the last text you see in this wiki window.

Please read the wiki before asking a question, as most common questions are answered here

Table of Contents (note the links below only work on desktop if you have expanded the wiki as described above)

What Are Same Day Change and Standby? Back to top

Q: What are Same Day Change and Standby?
A:
Same Day Changes (often called “SDC”) and Standby (sometimes referred to as “SBY”) involve taking a different flight from the one you were originally booked on without re-booking your itinerary, with no fare difference, and without the change fees normally applicable to your fare (specific SDC/standby fees are charged, as detailed below)
  • Same Day Change is where you immediately confirm a seat on a new flight or flights. As soon as you execute an SDC, your seat on your original flight is gone. You can change to either an earlier or later flight on the same day (see below for details)
  • Standby is when you put yourself on a waitlist for an earlier flight. The standby list is processed after check-in for that flight closes. Until you clear standby on a new flight, you continue to hold a seat on your original flight

Q: So can I use SDC or standby to fly to a different destination? Or fly from a different origin?
A:
No, this just allows you to change flights between the same origin and destination, with limited exceptions for co-terminals (e.g. YYZ/YTZ or LGA/JFK/EWR; see the applicable Routing section)

Q: Are all flights eligible for SDC and standby?
A: It depends on fare and market
. Markets are defined immediately below. For additional information, see the applicable Eligibility & Cost section

Q: What are the “markets”?
A:
  • Domestic (flights within Canada)
  • Transborder (flights between Canada and the US)
  • Sun (flights between Canada and everywhere else in North America)
  • International (everything else)

Q: Does it matter how I booked my ticket?
A:
  • It matters which airline sold your ticket (details in the applicable section)
  • It doesn’t matter how you paid for your ticket (cash vs points vs flight pass credit), although it may impact the cost

Q: Can I do this myself, or do I need an agent at the airport?
A:
In most cases, as long as you’re eligible, you should be able to request standby or SDC via the AC app or website, including paying any required fees. But often it won't work, for no particular reason. If you need an agent to do it, it has to be an AC agent at the airport (someone who has access to DCS, the airport system), not someone at a call centre. The only exception, for those eligible for access, is the Concierge call centre. That also refers to the Aeroplan call centre - Aeroplan cannot help you with SDC/standby, and any airport agent who tells you that you need to talk to Aeroplan is wrong, and you need to push back

Same Day Changes Back to top

Basics Back to top

Q: When can I make the change? Does it have to be on the day of my flight?
A:
SDC should be available online when check-in opens for the flight you’re currently booked on (24 hours in advance of your first flight). You should be able to request an SDC up until check-in for your original flight closes

Q: What flights are available for me to change to?
A:
You can change to any flight on the same operational (roughly 0500-0200) date (subject to available space, which is described below); that includes flights departing more than 24 hours from the one you’re currently booked on. You can’t SDC to a flight for which check-in has closed

Q: Can you give me some examples?
A:
Sure. Click on the spoiler below to expand a few examples
Spoiler

Q: What space is needed on the flight I want to change to?
A:
You need positive space in your cabin, and on the flight as a whole. Your fare class is irrelevant. If you are booked in Y, and the flight you want is full in Y but empty in J, you cannot change. If you're booked in J, and the flight you want is J5 but Y-10, you can't change. If you're booked in J, and the flight is J5 Y-4, you can change, even though Y is overbooked, because the flight is not

Q: How do I make this change?
A:
SDC is available through the online check-in function on the AC app or website (as long as it’s working properly). You can request SDC before you start check-in or after you’ve completed it. You should be offered any available itineraries. If a flight isn’t showing up as an option, it’s probably due to lack of available space as described above, or in the case of connecting itineraries, it may not be a legal connection. An agent at the airport can also handle this; this includes Concierges (and, for SEs only, the central Concierge office)

Q: I’ve read through the FAQ and am curious about the technical details
A:
See this excellent post by D582

Eligibility & Costs Back to top

Q: What do same day changes cost, and what’s eligible?
A:
Both answers depend on the market and fare type:
  • Basic: not eligible
  • Standard
    • $150 domestic/transborder; or $100 for a few selected city pairs:
      • Flights between (a) Toronto (YYZ or YTZ) and (b)(i) Montreal or (ii) Ottawa
      • Flights between (a) Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and (b)(i) JFK or (ii) LGA or (iii) Newark airports
      • Flights between any of Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver
    • $50 Sun
    • $100 international
  • Flex
    • $75 domestic/transborder
    • $50 Sun
    • $100 international
  • Comfort: $0
  • Latitude: $0
  • Premium Economy Lowest
    • $75 for domestic/transborder
    • $100 international
    • ??? Sun (not listed)
  • Premium Economy Flexible: $0
  • Business Class Lowest:
    • $0 for domestic/transborder
      • Note: the app/website want to charge $100 on Aeroplan Business Lowest bookings. The AC website does not make any distinction for Aeroplan tickets, and the fare rules should say SDC is free. You may or may not be able to get an agent to waive the fee, but should be able to get a refund after the fact
    • Sun/international: a fee may apply, but is variable depending on route/fare
  • Business Class Flexible: $0

Some fare rules also waive SDC fees. There are a lot of international Premium Economy Lowest fares that explicitly state SDC is free

Q: Do I have to pay the fee for each segment I change?
A:
No, you pay the fee each time you make a change. You could change all 3 flights on a 2-stop itinerary and pay the fee only once. However, if you make a change, then later decide you’d like to change flights again, you would have to pay another fee, regardless of how many segments you’ve changed each time

Routing Back to top

Q: What am I allowed to change?
A:
You may change the routing, but not the number of connections

Q: Can you give me some examples?
A:
Sure. Click on the spoiler below to expand a few examples
Spoiler

Q: The agent I'm dealing with says I can’t change connecting points
A:
Tell them to look at "the ACpedia page for Same-Day Change, under the header of FLAT Same Day Change Fee for Multiple Segments". The policy very explicitly states that you must have same day of departure, same origin, and same final destination

Q: I booked a flight from YYZ to EWR but I want to go to LGA instead, can I do that?
A:
Yes, you can change between co-terminals at your destination

Q: What if I booked a flight EWR to YYZ, can I leave from LGA instead?
A:
No, you can’t change co-terminals at your origin

Q: Can I SDC after I’ve already taken one or more flights, e.g. if I’m flying FCO-YYZ-YYC, can I SDC the YYZ-YYC flight after arriving at YYZ?
A:
Yes, you should be able to do it yourself online, or an agent can do it

SDC & eUpgrades Back to top

Q: I have a confirmed eUpgrade on my original flight. Can I SDC straight in to J on the new flight?
A:
No, you need space in Y to SDC into. When you SDC, you will be back in Y

Q: Will my eUp request carry over to the new flight?
A:
No, once you SDC, you will need to request the eUp again. You should be able to do this online, or an agent can do it

Bookings Involving Partners Back to top

Q: I booked my flight through United, can I do SDC?
A
No, it must be ticketed by Air Canada, meaning the ticket number must start with 014

Q: I booked YYZ-FRA-LHR, with one segment on another airline. Can I change it to YYZ-YUL-LHR?
A:
No you may only change segments operated by AC

Standby Back to top

Basics Back to top

Q: What flights are eligible for standby?
A:
Essentially, Comfort, Latitude, PY Flexible, and Business Flexible always get free standby. Basic is never eligible. Standard, Flex, PY Lowest and Business Lowest are only eligible on certain routes or markets. See the Eligibility & Costs section below

Q: When can I make the change? Does it have to be on the day of my flight?
A:
You should be able to request standby online when check-in opens for the flight you’re currently booked on (24 hours in advance of your first flight). But the standby list is only processed a short time before the flight

Q: So when does the standby list get processed?
A:
The standby list is generally run 5 minutes after check-in closes (i.e. 40 minutes for domestic flights or 55 minutes for international flights)

Q: If I don’t get a seat at T-40/T-55, does that mean I’m out of luck?
A:
No. If there are people who don’t show up for the flight (e.g. misconnections), they will clear more people off the standby list (the plane usually shouldn’t leave with empty seats if there are still people on standby)

Q: I don’t like the idea of waiting that late. Can I get confirmed earlier than that?
A:
That’s what SDC is for. On rare occasions, AC may clear people off the standby list earlier than the times above, but you’re usually not going to get confirmed until after check-in has closed

Q: There’s more than one earlier flight that would work for me. Can I standby for multiple flights?
A:
You can only SBY for one flight at a time, but if you fail to clear on that one, you can request it on a subsequent flight

Q: Do I keep my seat on my original flight?
A:
As soon as you clear standby for a new flight, you lose the space on your original flight. If you don’t clear standby, your original booking remains intact

Q: What if I clear standby but don’t board the earlier flight?
A:
You need to see an agent to try to get re-booked on another flight. You’ve in a difficult position because you’ve given up your original seat then no-showed the new one, so you have no confirmed space on any flight

Q: Can I cancel a standby request?
A:
As long as it hasn’t cleared. Once it clears, as noted above, you’ve lost your original flight, and you’ll need an agent to re-book you on something else. Note that once check-in closes, you will likely need an agent to remove you from the list

Q: I’m booked in a higher cabin than economy (whether originally ticketed or on some kind of upgrade). Can I standby only for a flight in my original cabin?
A:
Nope. If you have a ticket for a higher cabin, you’ll be on standby for space in that cabin and anything lower. That means if your original flight is in J, you could end up in PY or Y

Q: Would I get any compensation for the downgrade?
A:
No, because you chose to take an earlier flight

Q: This sounds kind of different from how I remember it
A:
AC switched to a new reservation system in late 2019, which brought numerous changes. Most were negative – previously you could standby only for the cabin you were booked in, and you didn’t lose your seat on your original flight unless and until you boarded the new flight – but some were positive, e.g. online self-service options

Q: Overall, this sounds kind of crappy. Why would I want to do it?
A:
If getting to your next airport early is important, and especially if you’re already booked in Y, SBY can be worthwhile. If you’re confirmed in a higher cabin, there’s a considerable chance of being downgraded, so it may be less appealing

Q: How do I request standby?
A:
Standby is available through the online check-in function on the AC app or website (as long as it’s working properly). You can only request SBY after you’ve checked in. An agent at the airport can also handle this; this includes Concierges (and, for SEs only, the central Concierge office)

Priority Back to top

Q: What is the priority for standby?
A:
As follows (this is very similar to the priority for eUpgrades):
  1. Cabin: Based on your ticketed cabin (i.e. upgrades don’t count)
    • Note: Paid J will rank ahead of any eUp requests in the J cabin (subject to space available on the flight – if the flight is full overall but oversold in Y/PY, your standby can’t clear, so eUps will clear even though your standby doesn’t). If you have a confirmed upgrade to J, you’ll be on standby for J, but with lower priority than everyone who’s already confirmed on the flight. The same principle should apply to PY
    • For seats in Y, J and PY will rank ahead of those ticketed in Y
  2. Status: VIP > SE 2MM+ with credit card > SE 2MM+ > SE MM with credit card > SE MM > SE with credit card > SE > 75K 2MM+ with credit card, etc. If two passengers are on the PNR, the priority might be based on the highest status, per this post
  3. "Fare": Brand comes first (PF > PL; LT > CO > FL > ST), so a low Comfort fare is higher priority than Flex M. Within a brand, fare class matters. If you bought your ticket through another airline, and you don't have a brand, they infer a brand based on the fare class.
    Fare class hierarchy:
    • PY fares: O > E > A > N
    • Y fares: Y > B > M > U > H > Q > V > W > S > T > L > K > G
  4. Check-in time: As indicated by your sequence number

Eligibility & Costs Back to top

Q: What’s eligible for standby, and how much does it cost?
A:
Eligibility depends on market and route; when eligible, standby is always free
  • Basic: not eligible
  • Standard & Flex
    • Domestic/transborder, only eligible for:
      • Flights between (a) Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and (b)(i) JFK or (ii) LGA or (iii) Newark airports
    • Sun & International: not eligible
  • Comfort: always eligible
  • Latitude: always eligible
  • Premium Economy Lowest
    • Sun: eligible
    • International: not eligible
  • Premium Economy Flexible: always eligible
  • Business Class Lowest
    • Sun & International: eligible
  • Business Class Flexible: always eligible

Routing Back to top

Q: I booked a connecting itinerary. Can I standby for a non-stop flight?
A:
No, you can only standby for an earlier flight on the same route

Q: What if I want to standby from a non-stop to a connecting itinerary?
A:
No, same as above

Q: If I’m flying YYC-YYZ-YDF, can I standby for both an earlier YYC-YYZ and an earlier YYZ-YDF?
A:
Yes, but you can only request SBY for your next segment at any one time – you can only request for the YYZ-YDF leg once you’ve flown the YYC-YYZ leg

Q: I booked a flight from YYZ to EWR but I want to go to LGA instead, can I do that?
A:
Yes, you can change between co-terminals at your destination

Q: What if I booked a flight EWR to YYZ, can I leave from LGA instead?
A:
No, you can’t change co-terminals at your origin

Bookings Involving Partners Back to top

Q: I booked my flight through United, can I do SBY?
A:
Not through self-serve tools. It must be ticketed by Air Canada, meaning the ticket number must start with 014. There is a chance an agent can make this happen

Q: I booked YYZ-ORD, operated by United, can I stand by for an Air Canada flight?
A:
No, you can only stand by from segments operated by AC

Q: I booked YYZ-ORD, operated by Air Canada, can I stand by for a United flight?
A:
No you can only stand by to segments operated by AC

Q: What if the flight is a codeshare, does that change either of the previous two answers?
A:
No, codeshares are irrelevant
Print Wikipost

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Standby on Air Canada (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Lame. So everytime we encounter this we should all write in and voice our displeasure. It seems it's definitely now policy to not allow routing changes on SDC, even if they are trivial and likely don't cost AC anything. I wouldn't expect much from complaining, but may as well let them know and maybe get a discount code.
Well, in my case, they violated the fare rules by refusing it.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
I have a flexible J Aeroplan ticket to Florida next week. Last flight out of YYZ
There is lots of space currently in J on a 787 at around noon: to change with the least expense would that be a same day change ? And can that be done over the phone ? Or airport only. And is it with Aeroplan or air Canada and at what time.
A new booking is close to 100k miles now so I’d like to avoid cancellation and rebooking
many thanks in advance
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
I have a flexible J Aeroplan ticket to Florida next week. Last flight out of YYZ
There is lots of space currently in J on a 787 at around noon: to change with the least expense would that be a same day change ? And can that be done over the phone ? Or airport only. And is it with Aeroplan or air Canada and at what time.
A new booking is close to 100k miles now so I’d like to avoid cancellation and rebooking
many thanks in advance
SDC would be the least expensive. It can be done within the check in window via OLCI or at the airport.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
SDC would be the least expensive. It can be done within the check in window via OLCI or at the airport.
Thank you: If I select this will I be waitlisted and only cleared close to departure? Or will I be fully ticketed for the noon flight in J (as my current reward ticket is fully flexible J reward ticket)
if I’m waitlisted will I lose my original ticket or does it stay till I’m fully ticketed. I don’t want to risk not flying that day. Sorry for the questions but I’ve tried to look online and it’s confusing
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
This isn't standby, it's a confirmed change based on availability in the cabin at the time you are making the request.
yyznomad and aircrashsurvivor like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
This isn't standby, it's a confirmed change based on availability in the cabin at the time you are making the request.
Thank you. I understand now !
Last question and I should have asked above,
As checkin (OLCI) opens up 24hrs before my 17:50 flight, can I do this at 17:51 the day before when OLCI opens or do I have to wait till after midnight on the actual calendar day of the flight
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:58 pm

Same Day Change

Hi Everyone

Apologies as I am having a hard time understanding the same day change rules.

I am flying IST-LHR-YYZ, with turkish air on the first leg and AC on the second. I have a Business P Ticket for the LHR-YYZ leg.

how can i request to be moved to an earlier flight from LHR to YYZ? Would i be able to call in while i’m still in istanbul (since there are no AC agents kn the ground at IST). i would like to be able to make this change while i’m still in IST given that i will be checking in a luggage all the way to YYZ.

thanks !
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have never used SDC before. I never needed to.

Next weekend I’m booked YVR-YYZ-AMS with fare basis ELA7RCE.

I’ve got an eUp wait list for both segments. The second segment has R space so I’m hopeful that will clear soon. The first segment does not. It’s also later in the day then I would have wanted but was all Concur would allow. There are no E fares remaining on any YVR-YYZ flight that day.

If I understand correctly, 24 (ish) hours before departure I can request a change to segment 1 for an earlier flight, but it will re-price to an O fare. Will it re-price both segments? Will monkeying around affect my (hopefully by then) cleared upgrade on the TATL? Lastly, do I have an option of taking the much earlier narrow body flight to avoid a re-price to O?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have never used SDC before. I never needed to.

Next weekend I’m booked YVR-YYZ-AMS with fare basis ELA7RCE.

I’ve got an eUp wait list for both segments. The second segment has R space so I’m hopeful that will clear soon. The first segment does not. It’s also later in the day then I would have wanted but was all Concur would allow. There are no E fares remaining on any YVR-YYZ flight that day.

If I understand correctly, 24 (ish) hours before departure I can request a change to segment 1 for an earlier flight, but it will re-price to an O fare. Will it re-price both segments? Will monkeying around affect my (hopefully by then) cleared upgrade on the TATL? Lastly, do I have an option of taking the much earlier narrow body flight to avoid a re-price to O?
SDC will not reprice. You just need positive space in the cabin. This should not affect any subsequent flights, but I'll admit I'm not sure I've ever done a SDC with a confirmed upgrade.
dr_torch and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
SDC will not reprice. You just need positive space in the cabin. This should not affect any subsequent flights, but I'll admit I'm not sure I've ever done a SDC with a confirmed upgrade.
Thanks Cow. If this was you would you trust the concierge if they said my confirmed upgrade would stay in tact?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Thanks Cow. If this was you would you trust the concierge if they said my confirmed upgrade would stay in tact?
Yes. If they screw it up they can also fix it.
dr_torch and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've SDCed with confirmed eUps quite a few times. I've never lost an upgrade because of it, but have always had the concierge confirm that I wouldn't before making the change.

Although these are almost all (or all?) of these were pre-Amadeus.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Since Amadeus i have been finding SDC to be dying. Recently flying paid J tried to get on an earlier YYC-YVR flight before continuing onto LHR. Was told its sold out etc... Wasnt event trying to stay in J worst case just wanted an earlier arrival in to Vancouver. Again told no can do. I then booked a confirmed seat via the app proving there was space available. They still wouldnt help and insisted it required fare class availability, and that if i wanted that flight i should have booked (also noting it was likely more expensive to me). Very frustrating as YVR Triangle is supposed to have same day standby and J fares are to have Same Day confirmed subject to space available.

Was booking a YYC-LHR-YYZ in J and the flight i wanted on the return wasnt available in my fare class so i thought about taking the later flight and then hoping to SDC day off but didnt make the booking because of agents not complying with advertised Same day changes.

Any one else experiencing this?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:30 pm

I was told today it’s a flat no for SDC. Now this could be because I’m within 24 hours and not actually “same day” but more likely it’s because I was talking to someone who works for the airline.

I was told it’s because my 2 segments were booked on an E fare and they are married. No E available on the flight I wanted and a guarantee of losing my upgrade on the second segment.

I wasn’t that invested to put up a fight. I’ll survive without a smoke and a visit to the INTL lounge at YYZ.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Since Amadeus i have been finding SDC to be dying. Recently flying paid J tried to get on an earlier YYC-YVR flight before continuing onto LHR. Was told its sold out etc... Wasnt event trying to stay in J worst case just wanted an earlier arrival in to Vancouver. Again told no can do. I then booked a confirmed seat via the app proving there was space available. They still wouldnt help and insisted it required fare class availability, and that if i wanted that flight i should have booked (also noting it was likely more expensive to me). Very frustrating as YVR Triangle is supposed to have same day standby and J fares are to have Same Day confirmed subject to space available.

Was booking a YYC-LHR-YYZ in J and the flight i wanted on the return wasnt available in my fare class so i thought about taking the later flight and then hoping to SDC day off but didnt make the booking because of agents not complying with advertised Same day changes.

Any one else experiencing this?
I'd had similar problems when I'd tried to do a same day change from LHR. Was booked something like LHR-YYZ-YYC and wanted to change to LHR-YVR-YYC. Was booked in a P fare and there were 2-3 seats open when I was at the airport ~ 2 hours before the flight, but no P class availability. Agents insisted that doing a SDC needs same fare class available. When I'd insisted that it just needed positive space, they said I was wrong. I'd asked them to at least try to make the change. Both a concierge and a ticketing agent tried and they insisted that the system forces it to reprice and quoted me something like $4K to make the change based on the fare difference between P and J. So it's either poorly trained agents, the system doesn't seem to allow SDC's the way it should work, or a bit of both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.