Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same Day Change policy for Air Canada?

Old May 31, 17, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

question about the Same-Day Change policy for Air Canada...

Some airlines like Delta have same-day change policy to allow change to a different time in the same day of departure. Does Air Canada have similar policy? If so, how does that work? I can't seem to find a lot of information about this on AC website.

I was thinking if I can change business class YYC-YVR-LAX to business class YYC-LAX non-stop on the day of departure if there is seat available on the evening non-stop.... would this be possible under Air Canada policy?
Old May 31, 17, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Yes. The cost will depend on your fare class.
Old May 31, 17, 4:27 pm

If its a true full-fare J (or Y), you can change it, standby, etc. No problem.

If its discounted, then you're subject to the fare rules as applicable to your specific ticket.

Some 'corridors' have more flexible change policies. And for operational reasons on days with overbookings and/or weather problems, AC often significantly waives change fees.

OTOH, I've been on a full Y ticket at an airport, without luggage, and have been denied getting onto an earlier flight because of lazy GA's who decided to close out a flight quite early (~30 minutes prior to departure time) because the entire confirmed/ticketed manifest had been loaded.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 31, 17, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Here is info from the Air Canada website

To the U.S.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-the-us.html

Within Canada

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html

Attached Images  
Old May 31, 17, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Are you looking for free same-day changes on discounted tickets? No, this does not exist.
Old May 31, 17, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
If its a true full-fare J (or Y), you can change it, standby, etc. No problem.

If its discounted, then you're subject to the fare rules as applicable to your specific ticket.

Some 'corridors' have more flexible change policies. And for operational reasons on days with overbookings and/or weather problems, AC often significantly waives change fees.

OTOH, I've been on a full Y ticket at an airport, without luggage, and have been denied getting onto an earlier flight because of lazy GA's who decided to close out a flight quite early (~30 minutes prior to departure time) because the entire confirmed/ticketed manifest had been loaded.
I'm not sure that's "lazy". SDC isn't even possible after check-in closes in my vast experience trying it. Standby is possible, but are you really going to hold a flight that's ready to depart on the off chance someone shows up at T-30 hoping to get on?

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Are you looking for free same-day changes on discounted tickets? No, this does not exist.
24left's screenshots and my experiences would contradict this.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 31, 17, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'm not sure that's "lazy". SDC isn't even possible after check-in closes in my vast experience trying it. Standby is possible, but are you really going to hold a flight that's ready to depart on the off chance someone shows up at T-30 hoping to get on?
The gate was connected, people were still boarding, yet I was denied on a full-Y ticket that was booked not even an hour earlier. Not a full flight. Others were denied as well. No technical reasons either, it was an Rouge A319 on a 3 hour run from Florida.
Old May 31, 17, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The short answer is yes, discounted business fares to the US usually allow free SDC. Check the fine print of your ticket receipt to confirm that.

EDIT: if you didn't book with AC and for some reason don't have access to the fare rules for your itinerary, you can just call AC Reservations and ask this question.

Last edited by eigenvector; May 31, 17 at 5:19 pm
Old May 31, 17, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes. The cost will depend on your fare class.
I booked directly with AC with fare code Z (discounted business)...

so I guess, based on the screenshot above, I can do same-day change without fee?

Can this be done online while check-in or must this be done at airport?

I had similar experience with delta, and it's quick phone call on the night before departure (within 24 hour prior to departure) to put me on another same-day flight in business class as long as a seat is available.
Old May 31, 17, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
The gate was connected, people were still boarding, yet I was denied on a full-Y ticket that was booked not even an hour earlier. Not a full flight. Others were denied as well. No technical reasons either, it was an Rouge A319 on a 3 hour run from Florida.
Ah, I interpreted "loaded" to mean "boarded".

If it hasn't fully boarded, the flight has not been "closed", and they can ABSOLUTELY still process standby.

So yes, lazy

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
I booked directly with AC with fare code Z (discounted business)...

so I guess, based on the screenshot above, I can do same-day change without fee?

Can this be done online while check-in or must this be done at airport?

I had similar experience with delta, and it's quick phone call on the night before departure (within 24 hour prior to departure) to put me on another same-day flight in business class as long as a seat is available.
That screenshot was for transborder flights. Other destinations may have different rules.

Paid business class within North America generally allows free SDC these days, though I'm not sure about international.
Old May 31, 17, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

That screenshot was for transborder flights. Other destinations may have different rules.

Paid business class within North America generally allows free SDC these days, though I'm not sure about international.
I am flying from YYC to LAX... so I think that counts as transborder paid business class within north America?

Do I call AC within 24 hrs of departure to check if SDC is available? Or do I check during OLCI?
Old May 31, 17, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying from YYC to LAX... so I think that counts as transborder paid business class within north America?

Do I call AC within 24 hrs of departure to check if SDC is available? Or do I check during OLCI?
You will not be able to do it over the phone unless you're Super Elite (via the concierge desk).

OLCI may offer options, though they may not be what you want.

You'll probably have to go to the airport.
Old May 31, 17, 7:36 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G

With P fare I have seen the option during online check in on the mobile app and on the website. I also believe (someone can correct me if I am wrong) that it is really same day so if a flight is on a Friday, you can make a same day change on Friday at 00:01 (as of YYC time zone in this case)
Old May 31, 17, 9:06 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist

Forget the 24hrs of departure part.

For AC, same day means same calendar day based on time zone of the airport the flight departs from.

SDC won't let you book a ticket and get out the night before... Or even firm up your plans till midnight.
Old May 31, 17, 9:58 pm

As others have said, it must be same day, not within a 24 hour window.

Same day change is free as far as I've experienced with paid J, as outlined on the class fare detail webpages linked above, given space and availability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: