AC Cancelling tickets

Old May 30, 17, 8:57 am
Original Poster

AC Cancelling tickets

I recently had two friends (on two separate occasions) where their AC tickets got cancelled the day before and the day of the flight under suspicion of fraud even tho name + passport + Nexus all match and that cc was used before to book for the same name. Long story short they had to pay 3x the price for a new ticket at the airport.

Then I saw http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...lict-1.4115596 which looked very familiar.

Is there a trend where AC is trying to get more money by cancelling tickets last minute and forcing the much higher rate at the airport? In both incidents I mentioned above, they didn't get a e-mail, flight showed as active (a friend even forwarded me the flight info via their site after it happened)
Old May 30, 17, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Perhaps there are some consumer protection laws that restrict businesses from cancelling an order after they've taken your money.
Old May 30, 17, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
Perhaps there are some consumer protection laws that restrict businesses from cancelling an order after they've taken your money.
They refunded the money but they were forced to buy a new ticket at the airport hours before a flight... As you can imagine that is a considerably more expensive ticket than the original one purchased weeks before
Old May 30, 17, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
This sounds actionable in a court of law, especially if AC did nothing to contact the original purchasers to verify that everything was AOK (or not). Companies should not be able to get away with this crap.

At the very least, your friends should write to AC, the CEO of AC, CBC whatever if they want some of their money back.
Old May 30, 17, 9:31 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Air Canada employees hate calling or dealing with customers. They aren't going to contact anyone. It's easier just to cancel than check.
Old May 30, 17, 9:38 am

Programs: ba silver
Time for stricter laws to prevent this kind of fraud by airlines, including criminal charges for whoever made the decision to deny cancel the ticket and illegally denied passengers boarding. The airline enters into a contract when they sell a ticket they should honor it , end story. It looks like airlines are doing this more and more, perhaps so they can sell more expensive tickets or remove passengers from oversold flights without compensation and it has to stop.
Old May 30, 17, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Here's a third friend that just came out with the same story on the fb thread
Attached Images  
Old May 30, 17, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drcarrigan View Post
Google Flight Status? Um.. I don't think that would be able to show a flight for an individual that was cancelled based on suspicion of fraud...

Ron.
Old May 30, 17, 10:16 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
In the previous threads, in addition to criticizing the poor communication and service recovery, we have gone around the mulberry bush trying to deconstruct what provoked the cancellation.

What I wonder is, are any of the people with stealthily cancelled tickets Aeroplan members? Altitude status? I wonder if AC is less likely to do this to a person with a loyalty membership.
Any indication of whether these were TA or bought via AC website? etc.
Old May 30, 17, 10:17 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Google Flight Status? Um.. I don't think that would be able to show a flight for an individual that was cancelled based on suspicion of fraud...

Ron.
Yes, this looks like talking about cancellation of the FLIGHT, not of selected purchasers' tickets to sit on the flight.
Old May 30, 17, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I recently had two friends (on two separate occasions) where their AC tickets got cancelled the day before and the day of the flight under suspicion of fraud even tho name + passport + Nexus all match and that cc was used before to book for the same name. Long story short they had to pay 3x the price for a new ticket at the airport.

Then I saw http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...lict-1.4115596 which looked very familiar.

Is there a trend where AC is trying to get more money by cancelling tickets last minute and forcing the much higher rate at the airport? In both incidents I mentioned above, they didn't get a e-mail, flight showed as active (a friend even forwarded me the flight info via their site after it happened)
Did they find out when they tried to check in online but were unable to?
Old May 30, 17, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will be popcorn time as soon as the media find out about this.
Old May 30, 17, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What I find interesting is that all of a sudden, within a short period of time, there has been a sudden spike in these types of incidences.

And in many of these stories, the original "fraudulently purchased" flight was refunded.
Old May 30, 17, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Did they find out when they tried to check in online but were unable to?
One was at check-in, the second was caught when his gf noticed a refund from AC on their visa bill a day before the flight.

In all cases, they mentioned nobody received a e-mail, call or any communication to indicate that the flights were cancelled.
Old May 30, 17, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
What I find interesting is that all of a sudden, within a short period of time, there has been a sudden spike in these types of incidences.

And in many of these stories, the original "fraudulently purchased" flight was refunded.
Could it be after the UA incident this is how they're sorting overbooked flights?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: