Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Cancelling tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
Who is bashing the cbc on this? It is clear that the issue is real, that AC is quite heavy-handed, and that so far they have kept very quiet.

I only wish the cbc would stop promoting that kid with an overinflated ego; not so good for their credibility. Not that I disagree with what he says.
Nobody yet, but CBC bashing is quite prevalent on this board. I expect that it will appear within 24 hours.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Toronto Star also has/had article on this, AC is really dropping the ball on so many things. I really just think its a cooperate culture of "we dont care".
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not a huge Lukacs fan, but agree with everything he says here. The entire thing indicates more AC IT enhancements and when it does go wrong they are terrible at resolving it.

CBC has it spot on here.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybit
Toronto Star also has/had article on this, AC is really dropping the ball on so many things. I really just think its a cooperate culture of "we dont care".
When business is good, arrogance raises its ugly head.

I am sure ticket fraud is a very serious issue, but this is a bit too much. It may take someone going to the CTA for them to get their act together.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Deleted. Mobile site sux
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:25 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jc94
The entire thing indicates more AC IT enhancements...
More 'enhancements' (tm)? That doesn't bode well! I have no doubt that they will be having a BA / Delta / Continental type rez / operations meltdown in the near future.

So far, I've only had these so-called fraud issues when actually trying to make bookings via their web site. Both times AC pointed the finger at my bank (two different banks, two different AP-branded Visa products) and both times my banks said it had nothing to do with them.

But at least it didn't happen after I had a 'confirmed' booking and with no notice. Something for our astronaut pal to look into methinks.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
More 'enhancements' (tm)? That doesn't bode well! I have no doubt that they will be having a BA / Delta / Continental type rez / operations meltdown in the near future.

So far, I've only had these so-called fraud issues when actually trying to make bookings via their web site. Both times AC pointed the finger at my bank (two different banks, two different AP-branded Visa products) and both times my banks said it had nothing to do with them.

But at least it didn't happen after I had a 'confirmed' booking and with no notice. Something for our astronaut pal to look into methinks.
Yes enhancements. The quote (if accurate) from AC to CBC is "We're optimizing our anomaly detection and prevention tools and security systems constantly, as credit card fraud costs everyone".

Similar to the MLL and Altitude programs, these enhancements are better for AC and worse for the customer.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a DL/BA type meltdown. It'll be blamed on the rain. At least BA is an EU airline though ... Though again that only really helps if you know your rights in my experience.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:44 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
EU style compensation is another thing that I'd like the Hon. Marc G to look at.

But as long as MPs and senators (not the hockey ones) get to ride in J, decent comp will likely never happen; but I can dream.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Is it just me or these cancellations without notice by AC only seem to happen from coast to coast except in Quebec? Quebec law has very strong language against unilateral cancellation of contracts against consumers (read: explicitly prohibited) . If this is true, the pattern does seem a little curious that they are only cancelling tickets where consumer protection is relatively weaker.

In any event, like the couple from NL whose return ticket from Portugal were inexplicably cancelled without notice, I am not sure I buy the fraud detection theory. If the CC holder is one of the passengers travelling, then the risk of that being a fraudulent transaction is severely reduced. In fact, some travel companies have such requirement in order to use their website for purchases. AMEX Travel Canada is one of such companies where the Cardmember must be one of the passengers for flight bookings or it's a no go. One of the conditions for a chargeback when the card is not present is that the cardmember can claim he/she never made that transaction. That is hard to claim when the cardmember and the passenger is the same person. And in order to fly, you need an ID and essentially validate who you said you are.

Of the cases reported by CBC re: AC, is there any case where the cardmember is not one of the passengers? If not, then this is more than perplexing. Why are all the false positives on the least likely cases of frauds? I can understand if AC flags a one-way ticket for a child or for someone obviously not the Cardmember. But these cases? Just bizarre. Someone ought to look into these cases more thoroughly to see if there are other patterns to be discerned. We obviously need more than just 8 cases. Hopefully, with this story now published by CBC, more people will come forward with their cases. It will be interesting to see what the data suggest. Right now, color me skeptical re: this being purely about fraud detection, I have other suspicions.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guava
Is it just me or these cancellations without notice by AC only seem to happen from coast to coast except in Quebec? Quebec law has very strong language against unilateral cancellation of contracts against consumers (read: explicitly prohibited) . If this is true, the pattern does seem a little curious that they are only cancelling tickets where consumer protection is relatively weaker.

In any event, like the couple from NL whose return ticket from Portugal were inexplicably cancelled without notice, I am not sure I buy the fraud detection theory. If the CC holder is one of the passengers travelling, then the risk of that being a fraudulent transaction is severely reduced. In fact, some travel companies have such requirement in order to use their website for purchases. AMEX Travel Canada is one of such companies where the Cardmember must be one of the passengers for flight bookings or it's a no go. One of the conditions for a chargeback when the card is not present is that the cardmember can claim he/she never made that transaction. That is hard to claim when the cardmember and the passenger is the same person. And in order to fly, you need an ID and essentially validate who you said you are.

Of the cases reported by CBC re: AC, is there any case where the cardmember is not one of the passengers? If not, then this is more than perplexing. Why are all the false positives on the least likely cases of frauds? I can understand if AC flags a one-way ticket for a child or for someone obviously not the Cardmember. But these cases? Just bizarre. Someone ought to look into these cases more thoroughly to see if there are other patterns to be discerned. We obviously need more than just 8 cases. Hopefully, with this story now published by CBC, more people will come forward with their cases. It will be interesting to see what the data suggest. Right now, color me skeptical re: this being purely about fraud detection, I have other suspicions.
Why not just book two passengers? Me and the cardholder
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why not just book two passengers? Me and the cardholder
I noticed lately, both on aircanada.com ad aeroplan.com, when you book logged in, the credit card address comes already populated with your address. While name and card data are not. So you cannot use a credit card whose cardholder is not in your household.

Not sure what it looks like if you book as a guest.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I noticed lately, both on aircanada.com ad aeroplan.com, when you book logged in, the credit card address comes already populated with your address. While name and card data are not. So you cannot use a credit card whose cardholder is not in your household.
Is that a function of AC.com or your smart browser?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Is that a function of AC.com or your smart browser?
My browser does not do these things. Pretty sure it's aircanada.com.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
My browser does not do these things. Pretty sure it's aircanada.com.
Agree. Address, phone number and email on the account populate but the name field is now blank on AC.com
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
EU style compensation is another thing that I'd like the Hon. Marc G to look at.

But as long as MPs and senators (not the hockey ones) get to ride in J, decent comp will likely never happen; but I can dream.
Canadian Transportation Agency plans consultations on airline passenger rights

CALGARY -- Canadians will soon have their say on the future of airline passenger rights with the Canadian Transportation Agency planning broad public consultations on new regulations.
The input-gathering will launch once a bill aimed at modernizing transit rules is passed in Parliament, and comes at a time of rising complaints about the state of air travel.
Scott Streiner, chair of the CTA, said in a speech in Calgary Wednesday that the agency has been getting about 500 air travel complaints a month between December and March, up from about 800 a year in recent years.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadia...ghts-1.3447900

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.