Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have had the call-in-to-complete-booking (pay YQ) method in the past and it did nothing to secure me from fraud, as it required me to give my credit card information to a third party to make the call for me. Not a fan.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:44 am

Aeroplan has implemented a new function for bookings that don’t touch the United States or Canada.

Please wait on hold…

Once you select your desired flights and enter passenger information, instead of being directed to the payment page, you’ll see the message below:

The system is generating a PNR, and wants you to call Aeroplan’s fraud line within 24 hours to pay for the reservation. According to an Aeroplan agent, this function was implemented as a counter-fraud strategy. Further, Aeroplan is waiving telephone booking fees for these types of bookings. This function seems to apply to bookings that do not touch the United States or Canada.

While it’s always good to reduce instances of fraud, this new function can be a challenge for users. First, Aeroplan’s telephone lines are notoriously packed, and it can often take an hour or more to connect. Second, Aeroplan has limited opening hours, based on Eastern Standard Time (according to the image below, their fraud line is open 7:00-23:00 ET). If you need to make a same-day booking and Aeroplan is closed, too bad so sad. This is a significant devaluation for Aeroplan, since last-minute flights outside of the United States or Canada may not be ticketed in time if the booking is made when Aeroplan is closed.

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/06...948.1403838662
Attached Images  

Last edited by imverge; Jun 3, 2017 at 1:10 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by imverge
Aeroplan has implemented a new function for bookings that don’t touch the United States or Canada.

Please wait on hold…

Once you select your desired flights and enter passenger information, instead of being directed to the payment page, you’ll see the message below:

The system is generating a PNR, and wants you to call Aeroplan’s fraud line within 24 hours to pay for the reservation. According to an Aeroplan agent, this function was implemented as a counter-fraud strategy. Further, Aeroplan is waiving telephone booking fees for these types of bookings. This function seems to apply to bookings that do not touch the United States or Canada.

While it’s always good to reduce instances of fraud, this new function can be a challenge for users. First, Aeroplan’s telephone lines are notoriously packed, and it can often take an hour or more to connect. Second, Aeroplan has limited opening hours, based on Eastern Standard Time (according to the above image, their fraud line is open 7:00-23:00 ET). If you need to make a same-day booking and Aeroplan is closed, too bad so sad. This is a significant devaluation for Aeroplan, since last-minute flights outside of the United States or Canada may not be ticketed in time if the booking is made when Aeroplan is closed.

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/06...948.1403838662
just did a dummy and

... you have got to be kidding me aeroplan

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 3, 2017 at 1:55 pm Reason: content
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
So, so, SO VERY GLAD all my Aeroplan points were used up last fall.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

This is still not as bad as not being able to search segments that don't include US and Canada! If they will let the transaction go through if the passenger name and the account name are the same, then that will eliminate many unnecessary calls for users (I assume that most user will be booking for themselves).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.