Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Old May 28, 2017, 2:07 pm

Burn and spurn, I guess.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
I find that phone number listed as far back as 2007, so does not look new.

http://www.canflyer.com/canflyer/ind...b-site-glitch/

In any case, I get your points, it's just I don't spend a lot of my time wondering about conspiracy theories.
It may be the same number from 2007 that only tells me they've been paying for a 1800 number for the last 10 years they haven't used again until now.

I think you need to stop spending your time wondering if others are wondering about conspiracy theories
Old May 28, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
It may be the same number from 2007 that only tells me they've been paying for a 1800 number for the last 10 years they haven't used again until now.

I think you need to stop spending your time wondering if others are wondering about conspiracy theories
Chicken...egg...chicken..egg...Agh!
Old May 28, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Chicken...egg...chicken..egg...Agh!
uh uh... don't put your eggs all in one basket
Old May 28, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Here is my guess as to what actually happened:

Incompetent IT staff doing routine system maintenance of the Aeroplan website "accidentally" deleted the award codes for flight awards that don't involve North America. These codes drive the "pricing" of flight awards.

When a customer tries to search for a particular routing and the system can't match the routing against a valid award code, they get a message asking them to call AC.

As the "deleted" award codes are now reloaded back into the system, searches for awards involving purely non-North American segments are showing up again.
Here's my guess as to what actually happened.

Aeroplan neither has the IT infrastructure or IT competence to test a policy change on a test system in advance of rolling it out.

Hence, they tested a forthcoming policy change on the live system in order to see how it would work. Once they got those details, they config'd back.

I suspect you will thus likely see this 'enhancement' in the next short while.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I have a bad feeling that the death spiral of Aeroplan is going to be rather painful for those holding points. FT members caught a break on this one, but Ma & Pa Kettle saving up for the trip to Santa Banana next year are in for a surprise.
This.

Exactly.

We are going to see a continued chipping away of everything and anything.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
reality is Aeroplan/Air Canada has always been a time bomb, and now the fuse is burning, a quick change to new credit cards and using up points sooner rather than later is what people should be doing.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Here's my guess as to what actually happened.

Aeroplan neither has the IT infrastructure or IT competence to test a policy change on a test system in advance of rolling it out.

Hence, they tested a forthcoming policy change on the live system in order to see how it would work. Once they got those details, they config'd back.

I suspect you will thus likely see this 'enhancement' in the next short while.
That would be my guess as well. This glitch just comes across as a little too "coincidental" to me. And it makes sense from a business standpoint to generate extra revenue from fees when the customer demand is rather inflexible. Customers who seek to book award travel on flights not to/from NA are part of a very selective group of clientele. They are not going to abandon using their Aeroplan points due to the phone booking fee. Maybe they can eventually adapt in the long run, but right now, all the customers can do is to take it like a man (woman). Aeroplan needs liquidity, anything that can generate extra cash should be given priority.

Originally Posted by flybit
reality is Aeroplan/Air Canada has always been a time bomb, and now the fuse is burning, a quick change to new credit cards and using up points sooner rather than later is what people should be doing.
Yet, there are still many FTers here who say it's business as usual for them. If there is eventually a stampede, which I hope there won't be, it is likely going to be far worse than Air Miles last year.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:01 pm

I want to add one more piece of info that may embolden the hypotheses of the so-called 'conspiracy theorists.'

When I spoke with the Aeroplan agent a few days ago, it took awhile to get the point across that I couldn't make non U.S. or Canada segment searches. That's because when I gave her an example of one that I was looking for she said that she could see flights. I had to reiterate myself a few times to get the point across that even though she could search the segments, I couldn't. That was the point in which she said she was going to ask a supervisor for clarification.

So, for the people saying it was just a glitch, why could AE agents do the search, but we couldn't. I've been told many times that they cannot see anymore flights and so forth than we can.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LoveGlobeTrottin

So, for the people saying it was just a glitch, why could AE agents do the search, but we couldn't. I've been told many times that they cannot see anymore flights and so forth than we can.
That isn't entirely true. They have 2 search engines internally. The one you and I have access to and one that actually works.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
And still, no specific communication from Aeroplan. One would expect that a company already burdened with a negative reputation would act to quickly address the issue. What is so difficult in having a press release or a note on its website? Why not offer an explanation? Apparently, it is not part of the Aeroplan operating model .

In contrast, over at Skymiles, there was an issue with "fuel" surcharges being added to redemptions. Some similar comments over there as here. Yet, Skymiles responded relatively fast to quell concerns.

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
To clarify and alleviate any confusion, the surcharges that were being applied to Virgin Atlantic Award Tickets was an error that was quickly fixed.

What a difference. What a lesson in transparency and operational integrity. This, ladies and gentleman is how Aeroplan could have dealt with problem. Instead, it chose to hide. It failed its clients when it did not provide an explanation. This is why people do not trust the company.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
What a lesson in transparency and operational integrity.
Aeroplan had little of this before the announced break. What type of ethics drive the decision to regularly provide mixed economy/biz awards for overseas flights when all the overseas portions are in economy. Clearly their game is to take advantage of customer ignorance.

My belief is they have no grounding ethics, and this will only become worse with the new circumstance.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A long time ago, in another thread when AC FT was speculating about whether AC would renew the contract with Aeroplan, someone posted something along the lines of "the divorce is going to be messy and no one knows who will get custody of the kids".

Stay tuned.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by 24left
"the divorce is going to be messy and no one knows who will get custody of the kids".
At best "the kids" will be sent with foster parents but most likely will be left on their own. Need to grow up fast.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:30 pm

I just got off the phone with a helpful aeroplan agent (yay, feeling like I won the lottery!) after booking a reward ticket from NRT-PHN. I originally booked through aeroplan.com, but after getting to the last step of the booking, it brought me to a screen that gave me my PNR and said that I needed to call aeroplan within 24 hours to fully complete the booking. Is this normal? This is my first time making a booking that "doesn't touch North America" (that was the aeroplan agent's use of words), so I'm not sure if this step was a requirement prior to the so-called 'glitch' that occurred a couple of nights ago.

The aeroplan agent told me that the reason for calling in to complete the booking (basically, to pay the YQ over the phone) is to prevent fraud that was originating overseas and involved stolen aeroplan miles, hacked accounts, etc. If the "call in to complete your booking" truly is a new feature, I guess this explanation may be plausible considering some of the recent posts on FlyerTalk regarding hacked accounts and stolen miles. And it may be what they were trying to implement the other night which resulted in all non-north American itineraries being unsearchable. Just one theory, feel free to dispel!

I should also mention, no added service change for the call-in, since it's part of the process for that booking type. The agent made sure to put great emphasis on this at the beginning of our call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.