Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to earn more miles at Esso than flying AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal to earn more miles at Esso than flying AC?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by jasdou
How can you get only 36 AP miles for YUL-YQB? Wouldn't the minimum on a Tango fare be 25% of 250 miles?
Only if you have status (I believe). Otherwise it's 25% of 145 miles = 36.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
36 Miles.....ha ha ha ha ha ha. What an abysmal amount for AC to "award" someone.

You would need to take 347 round trips at 36 miles a segment to get 25000 miles or an award.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dyno
Is it fair.... Is it normal ???
Well I've earned 3 aeroplan miles from Esso purchases over the past 5 years.

So yeah, it's normal for me.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm having a better mile earning with my Lexus than their Dash Q400 !!!

Attachment 33176
Were you on a lowly Tango fare? If so, then AC/AP believes it's "fair".

But you should ask @SeanPeeverabout his "fake" low AQM credits.

Last edited by yyznomad; May 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jasdou
How can you get only 36 AP miles for YUL-YQB? Wouldn't the minimum on a Tango fare be 25% of 250 miles?
Originally Posted by The smallest state
36 Miles.....ha ha ha ha ha ha. What an abysmal amount for AC to "award" someone.

You would need to take 347 round trips at 36 miles a segment to get 25000 miles or an award.
A YUL-YQB award is only 15,000 miles, so to be fair you only need 209 round trips.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Looking at a dummy booking for YUL to YQB in June the difference between Tango and Flex is $95. Allowing $25 for checking a bag, $10 for seat selection, and even a $25 change fee leaves $35 difference, for which you get 75% of 250 miles. So you're paying AC at least $0.19 per mile if you opt for the Flex fare to get 100% mileage credit.

And millions of people apparently think this is an enticement to fly AC?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Looking at a dummy booking for YUL to YQB in June the difference between Tango and Flex is $95. Allowing $25 for checking a bag, $10 for seat selection, and even a $25 change fee leaves $35 difference, for which you get 75% of 250 miles. So you're paying AC at least $0.19 per mile if you opt for the Flex fare to get 100% mileage credit.

And millions of people apparently think this is an enticement to fly AC?
Thats a great way to look at it Sopwith. AC continues to underwhelm. I honestly think the only reason earning points on AC exists is simply because everyone else does it and they have to.....
Old May 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Thats a great way to look at it Sopwith. AC continues to underwhelm. I honestly think the only reason earning points on AC exists is simply because everyone else does it and they have to.....
Your missing the point, soon Aeroplan will have nothing to do with Air Canada. It is all about earning points from credit cards, Esso, and where ever else. Obviously Esso will hand out more points than AC.

Someday AC may create its own points program. Until then it uses the other Star Alliance airlines and Aeroplan.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:25 pm

Disagree.

Guy earns more filling up his tank with Esso than Air Canada.

That is the long, the short and the co*k center of it.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
This is a fantastic post. Great job Dyno.

I don't think anyone, anywhere has pointed out the lunacy of earning more buy by gasoline to go from Montreal to Quebec by car than by AC.

This company really makes me chortle some times.........
Why?

Op drives a Lexus, pays for high octane fuel, selects a short route to support his weak theory, yet cheaps out on a tango fare.

So to answer his question, no it's not normal.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
This is a fantastic post. Great job Dyno.

I don't think anyone, anywhere has pointed out the lunacy of earning more buy by gasoline to go from Montreal to Quebec by car than by AC.

This company really makes me chortle some times.........
Or how about the fact that doing surveys earns, which cost me nothing other than my leisure time, earning more than a flight. Ridiculous! Sometimes Asking Canadians have 5 minute surveys for 25 Aeroplan miles. That's almost as much as the flight, not to mention the +$150 vs. FREE.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by YoYUL
Or how about the fact that doing surveys earns, which cost me nothing other than my leisure time, earning more than a flight. Ridiculous! Sometimes Asking Canadians have 5 minute surveys for 25 Aeroplan miles. That's almost as much as the flight, not to mention the +$150 vs. FREE.
I did the surveys for years, at first I answered them properly, then I got bored and started doing it only once in awhile, finally I got to the point I was relieved at not being chosen and getting 5 points for attempting to take a survey. Then they sent me an email that said (paraphrasing) 'you live in the USA, this is only for Canadians, go away'

No more surveys for me.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I'm having a better mile earning with my Lexus than their Dash Q400 !!!

Attachment 33176
Something tells me this will become the norm. I think AC will follow US airlines and stop giving FF benefits to all low(Tango) fares.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
I did the surveys for years, at first I answered them properly, then I got bored and started doing it only once in awhile, finally I got to the point I was relieved at not being chosen and getting 5 points for attempting to take a survey. Then they sent me an email that said (paraphrasing) 'you live in the USA, this is only for Canadians, go away'

No more surveys for me.
When I'm not in the mood for doing them, I'll deliberately screen out of them to get the 5 consolation miles. I always view it as resetting the 1 year expiry clock, so that I never have to worry about that.

Asking Canadians also give VIA Préférence points. The rate of return in proportion to Aeroplan is very high. You get 2 VIA points for screening-out, which is disproportionately very high vs. Aeropesos.

I'm already closing in on having enough VIA Préférence points for a round-trip short-haul for my wife and me and my daughter already has enough as kids are 1/2 the points. I've only had the VIA Asking Canadians accounts for about 10 months...and there's only 1 ultra-short-haul actual Via Rail trip in all of that.

Last edited by YoYUL; May 26, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old May 26, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by YoYUL
When I'm not in the mood for doing them, I'll deliberately screen out of them to get the 5 consolation miles. I always view it as resetting the 1 year expiry clock, so that I never have to worry about that.

Asking Canadians also give VIA Préférence points. The rate of return in proportion to Aeroplan is very high. You get 2 VIA points for screening-out, which is disproportionately very high vs. Aeropesos.

I'm already closing in on having enough VIA Préférence points for a round-trip short-haul for my wife and me and my daughter already has enough as kids are 1/2 the points. I've only had the VIA Asking Canadians accounts for about 10 months...and there's only 1 ultra-short-haul actual Via Rail trip in all of that.
That's pretty good. I found VIA between Toronto and Montreal a good offering. I have their points but sort of figured I'd take the cross country train one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.