Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to earn more miles at Esso than flying AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet

Is it fair.... Is it normal ???
I'm having a better mile earning with my Lexus than their Dash Q400 !!!

Name:  Capture d’écran 2017-05-24 ŕ 20.04.55.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  24.1 KB
Attached Images  
Old May 24, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Dyno
Is it fair.... Is it normal ???
I'm having a better mile earning with my Lexus than their Dash Q400 !!!

Attachment 33176
I got 12 miles with the 25% bonus for about 37l I think a few days ago. What on earth gave you 46 points? An RV? Do Lexus do RVs??
Old May 24, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by jc94
I got 12 miles with the 25% bonus for about 37l I think a few days ago. What on earth gave you 46 points? An RV? Do Lexus do RVs??
Lexus takes a higher octane fuel, which earns more points per litre.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:09 pm

Good to know. So I guess the question is how far can your Lexus go on those 46 points vs the miles from YOW to YUL... Which, I'm assuming is Tango? I've only done it on train but it's more then 36 miles I believe.

I assume the Lexus offered greater leg room, fast security and other J like products.

I imagine via car, we're talking 600km? Which is YOW to YYZ. I seem to recall ~350 miles for that route. Meanwhile, my own car is doing most of it on ... 12 points.

YMMV?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:14 pm

Good to know. So I guess the question is how far can your Lexus go on those 46 points vs the miles from YOW to YUL... Which, I'm assuming is Tango? I've only done it on train but it's more then 36 miles I believe.

I assume the Lexus offered greater leg room, fast security and other J like products.

I imagine via car, we're talking 600km? Which is YOW to YYZ. I seem to recall ~350 miles for that route. Meanwhile, my own car is doing most of it on ... 12 points.

YMMV?
actually its yul to yqb, which interestingly is landing in 8 minutes...
But i digress.... this makes no sense.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Actually I think it does make sense. In most cases. If I flew AC even Tango YYZ to YOW I'd make many more aeropesos than driving. I think I'd make more than even if I was driving a Lexus.

Aeroplan points are intended for flying, so making more by flying makes sense. Now in the OP case he made more by filling up, but I think if you measure distance drivable on 46 points compared to flying it... you'd get more points.

Now this is making an assumption a it AP points being for flying... I realize that may not be a universal belief especially of late.

Edit - Oh yeah sorry I see the route. That's the one I actually did by train. I think my point stands that you can't compare points unless your car used all that gas in that ~144 mile drive. If that is your post was of a serious is this fair nature?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Actually I think it does make sense. In most cases. If I flew AC even Tango YYZ to YOW I'd make many more aeropesos than driving. I think I'd make more than even if I was driving a Lexus.

Aeroplan points are intended for flying, so making more by flying makes sense. Now in the OP case he made more by filling up, but I think if you measure distance drivable on 46 points compared to flying it... you'd get more points.

Now this is making an assumption a it AP points being for flying... I realize that may not be a universal belief especially of late.

Edit - Oh yeah sorry I see the route. That's the one I actually did by train. I think my point stands that you can't compare points unless your car used all that gas in that ~144 mile drive. If that is your post was of a serious is this fair nature?
What if you look at it in terms of miles per dollar spent? That tank of gas would have cost a fraction of what the flight did.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

To answer the question:
It depends on what you spend to fly.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:20 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Game has changed but if you thought flying was the best way to get points (not AQD of course) you were doing it wrong.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

YMMV?
YOW to YYZ is a shave over 400 km.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE
How can you get only 36 AP miles for YUL-YQB? Wouldn't the minimum on a Tango fare be 25% of 250 miles?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Symmetre
YOW to YYZ is a shave over 400 km.
Yup, from the front door of YOW to the front door of YYZ it's 443 km as per google maps.

When driving, it depends from where in Ottawa to where in the GTA you're headed. It can be under 400km to a little over 500km from east Ottawa to the west side of the GTA.

I remember from my old house in south Ottawa to my grandparents' house in just off Yonge St. in Willowdale it was exactly 400km (if you didn't get off the highway in Kingston or Belleville for a McD's stop/cheaper gas than the service centres on the 401, in which case it was more like 405km).

Yeah flying Tango makes AP Aeropesos these days. Wonder what it'll be like after June 2020?

Here's another example to show just how ridiculously low that YUL-YQB 'award' is. I can (and regularly do) complete a 10 minute Asking Canadians survey which awards me 50 AP miles. A 35 minute survey, which is roughly the same as the flying time between YUL and YQB yields 120-150 Aeropesos. Sad eh!
Old May 25, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by YoYUL
Yup, from the front door of YOW to the front door of YYZ it's 443 km as per google maps.

When driving, it depends from where in Ottawa to where in the GTA you're headed. It can be under 400km to a little over 500km from east Ottawa to the west side of the GTA.

I remember from my old house in south Ottawa to my grandparents' house in just off Yonge St. in Willowdale it was exactly 400km (if you didn't get off the highway in Kingston or Belleville for a McD's stop/cheaper gas than the service centres on the 401, in which case it was more like 405km).

Yeah flying Tango makes AP Aeropesos these days. Wonder what it'll be like after June 2020?
Yeah driving it today. Well a bit East of the GTA. The question is the other direction used almost half the 12 point tank, now will I have to get more on the way back?

Either way I'd rather be getting 350x.25 or whatever, but financially it's hard to beat $40. Unless of course you value your time, and that's the difference. 4.5h driving on a normal day, vs a 1h flight that isn't as affected by traffic.

I think the real answer to the OPs question relies upon some more details on mileage and then the calculation can be done...
Old May 25, 2017, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by eigenvector
What if you look at it in terms of miles per dollar spent? That tank of gas would have cost a fraction of what the flight did.
Maybe not. If you look at the cost of both before taxes.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
This is a fantastic post. Great job Dyno.

I don't think anyone, anywhere has pointed out the lunacy of earning more buy by gasoline to go from Montreal to Quebec by car than by AC.

This company really makes me chortle some times.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.