2017.05.19 ac700

Old May 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
All night? YYZ closes at night. Weather can effect flights sometimes up to 2 or 3 days.
No it doesn't
Old May 19, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
OP, Dorian thanks you.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Maybe not. It sounds more like weather to me if the inbound flght(aircraft) was cancelled due to weather.
I'm pleased to know that all it takes is one cancelled flight at another airport for Air Canada to not able to deliver passengers from its flagship hub faster than the rickety tourist train that plies the same route.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I'm pleased to know that all it takes is one cancelled flight at another airport for Air Canada to not able to deliver passengers from its flagship hub faster than the rickety tourist train that plies the same route.
This is normal for basically every airlines. I have had this happen to me on AA, UA, BA, LH, CX, Westjet, plus a few more.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
No it doesn't
In practical terms, yes YYZ closes.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Pearson International Airport does not close. It operates 24 hours a day.

Here is the reality, direct from the airport itself;

Is Toronto Pearson closed at night?

Toronto Pearson is open 24/7/365. Our night operations are a mix of cargo and passenger services.

The airport manages a Night Flight Restriction Program to manage the impact of aircraft noise during restricted hours (12:30-6:30 a.m.). Transport Canada has imposed annual limits on the total number of night flights at Toronto Pearson to ensure that flights during the restricted period remain proportionate to overall traffic levels.

The GTAA uses a night preferential runway system from midnight to 6:30 a.m. using flight paths that impact the fewest people. The order of priority for preferential runways is: Runway 23, 33R and 24R for departures, and Runway 05, 15L and 06L for arrivals.

As per the airport statement that it has both both passenger and cargo operations 24/7 this means that the airport does not close "practically" nor "technically".
Any statement to the contrary is therefore not correct.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Pearson International Airport does not close. It operates 24 hours a day.

Here is the reality, direct from the airport itself;

Is Toronto Pearson closed at night?

Toronto Pearson is open 24/7/365. Our night operations are a mix of cargo and passenger services.

The airport manages a Night Flight Restriction Program to manage the impact of aircraft noise during restricted hours (12:30-6:30 a.m.). Transport Canada has imposed annual limits on the total number of night flights at Toronto Pearson to ensure that flights during the restricted period remain proportionate to overall traffic levels.

The GTAA uses a night preferential runway system from midnight to 6:30 a.m. using flight paths that impact the fewest people. The order of priority for preferential runways is: Runway 23, 33R and 24R for departures, and Runway 05, 15L and 06L for arrivals.

As per the airport statement that it has both both passenger and cargo operations 24/7 this means that the airport does not close "practically" nor "technically".
Any statement to the contrary is therefore not correct.
Yes it does. Airlines pay fines for departing or arriving after curfew and airline can't just sked arr/dep between curfew hours. So, in practical terms, YYZ closes. I have had a flight cancel because of the curfew and had flights circle around YYZ waiting for the curfew to end before landing because our flight was under sked.. Maybe stay at a YYZ airport hotel and watch for yourself. You can actually see it happening. You do not know the answer, you only read YYZ website.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Are you suggesting that @yyz_atc_qq is wrong? He works at the airport.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Technically YYZ does not close, but practically it does. Maybe ask him the question? Also, can you find a departure between 12:45 am and 6 AM?
Old May 20, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Apparently, there must be some mass hallucinations occurring. Yesterday, the 28 passenger flights that arrived, and the 12 passenger flights that departed between 00:05 and 05:55 hours were imaginary.

Although 01:00 to 05:00 hours typically see more cargo flight activity from UPS, FedEx and DHL, there were non cargo flights between 02:00 and 04:00 hours as well. Multiple SunWing and Air Transat flights touched down between 01:00 to and 03:00. (By the time the pax were unloaded and baggage cleared, it was another hour, moving it to 04:00). During that time, the airlines were busy prepping their flights that were to leave at 06:00. They usually start prepping those first flights 2 hours prior, which means around 04:00.

I expect that we will see continued denials of all this activity and an insistence that everyone else is wrong. Use of the term "practical" is inappropriate and misleading as operations continue and there is activity on the tarmac.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:01 pm

Technically YYZ does not close, but practically it does. Maybe ask him the question? Also, can you find a departure between 12:45 am and 6 AM?
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Apparently, there must be some mass hallucinations occurring. Yesterday, the 28 passenger flights that arrived, and the 12 passenger flights that departed between 00:05 and 05:55 hours were imaginary.

Although 01:00 to 05:00 hours typically see more cargo flight activity from UPS, FedEx and DHL, there were non cargo flights between 02:00 and 04:00 hours as well. Multiple SunWing and Air Transat flights touched down between 01:00 to and 03:00. (By the time the pax were unloaded and baggage cleared, it was another hour, moving it to 04:00). During that time, the airlines were busy prepping their flights that were to leave at 06:00. They usually start prepping those first flights 2 hours prior, which means around 04:00.

I expect that we will see continued denials of all this activity and an insistence that everyone else is wrong. Use of the term "practical" is inappropriate and misleading as operations continue and there is activity on the tarmac.
Trust me.... I know it doesn't close as there are quite a few of us that work overnight! I have been working nights the past week and thankfully have only 1 more (tonight) to go.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:17 pm

By memory... CX flight to HKG around 1:45am

Just checked online it's at 1:50am
Old May 20, 2017, 6:38 pm

And EVA but @Wpgjetse still has his alternative facts that it closes
Old May 20, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hmmmm....departure and arrivals tonight starting at midnight so May 21
and yes, codeshares. lol

Attached Images    
Old May 20, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
YYZ does not close. It stops operating scheduled flights between 1am and 6am. That doesn't mean that if a plane is circling at 1:30am they'll let it crash, but I can imagine there are fines (as mentioned) which is why if the plane has gas at 5:30am they'll wait.

I imagine ATC and some baggage guys etc are always around in case needed, probably paid overtime?

Like other airports you also can't check in before about 4am. But unlike some airports you can indeed arrive and enter it at 2am, so it's not closed. Just not open for regular scheduled ops.

Back on topic... if AC gives three reasons and one is mechanical you are entitled to $$$ based on delay. It's unclear what costs if any were incurred due to the cancellation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.