Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't buy half of what you are saying, but you know what, it doesn't matter. If no new competitors enter the Canadian aviation market, IDGAF. If the cost of airfares goes up, IDGAF. If AC finally does better than 30% OTP, that IGAF about. If they weren't such a bunch of slimy d-bags that sell one thing and provide another, I might be infinitesimally sympathetic to their position. They are, and I'm not.
Again, if you think they are “slimy d-bags”, don’t fly them!
This isn’t a difficult concept. Take your money elsewhere. Why you would continue to spend money on AC if you think they are “d-bags” is beyond me.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AC7E7

This isn’t a difficult concept. Take your money elsewhere. Why you would continue to spend money on AC if you think they are “d-bags” is beyond me.

You clearly know nothing about my flying and don't understand what trade-offs I may or may not be willing to make in my travel. Your response is both simplistic and unrealistic for me, and many many other frequent flyers.

Further... what makes you think the competition is any better? They are equally regulated/un-regulated. Your whole free market purist stance is literally unsupportable and silly in the context of airlines; but hey just let Boeing build planes that fall out of the sky... if people don't like it they can fly Airbus right? Or heck, somebody else will come along with $100 billion to start a new airline manufacturer and do it perfectly the first time with no experience! No worries, just scrap the regulation. It is just too big a barrier to free competition.

Maybe this conversation would be less "beyond you" if you were capable of bringing a little bit of nuance to the conversation instead of positioning everything as a binary choice? Just a thought...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
You clearly know nothing about my flying and don't understand what trade-offs I may or may not be willing to make in my travel. Your response is both simplistic and unrealistic for me, and many many other frequent flyers.

Further... what makes you think the competition is any better? They are equally regulated/un-regulated. Your whole free market purist stance is literally unsupportable and silly in the context of airlines; but hey just let Boeing build planes that fall out of the sky... if people don't like it they can fly Airbus right? Or heck, somebody else will come along with $100 billion to start a new airline manufacturer and do it perfectly the first time with no experience! No worries, just scrap the regulation. It is just too big a barrier to free competition.

Maybe this conversation would be less "beyond you" if you were capable of bringing a little bit of nuance to the conversation instead of positioning everything as a binary choice? Just a thought...
No, I don’t know anything about your travel, nor do I care. If you don’t like them, fly someone else. Why is that complicated? If you work for a company that books your travel for you, ask them to book you on WS.

I’m not sure why you are getting so emotional about this? I have been clear that I am in support of most of the legislation. I don’t agree with the amounts of the compensation. It’s excessive and will force ticket prices even higher than they are now.

Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking about this, and about all that "competition" and "market" BS/widhful thinking. I guess the point is, it's nothing like a market. There is some sort of elasticity curve on the demand side, and airlines SET prices with some/a good knowledge of that curve, to maximize whatever they want to maximize, cash flow or profit or whatever. Which has nothing to do with the classical free market pricing mechanism, and is largely unaffected by this kind of regulations, so that any extra cost ends up effectively having to be swallowed by the airlines. So obviously they are unhappy, possibly very unhappy. (Not that I care either way.)
Transpacificflyer and smallmj like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

This isn't about a free market or additional regulations for the sake of regulations. I emphasize that we are at this point because of the airlines themselves. All that the legislation does is attach a cost to a small number of abusive practices common in Canada. It is quite simple now: The airlines can avoid these costs if they change their business model that allows for passengers to be trapped for 5 hours on a tarmac with no access to potable water, or that denies boarding to vulnerable passengers. If the costs are large enough, perhaps it will encourage the airlines to tighten their management processes and to have effective contingency plans in place, like other airlines. Keep in mind that Canada's airlines intentionally mistreated passengers. They chose not to invest in contingency plans. It was the airlines choice. Passengers had little if any recourse. Now the airlines are being told to deliver what has been purchased.
The penalties are noticeable to encourage compliance and to avoid the airlines carrying on with the current intentional abusive practices.
RatherBeInYOW and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Buying a ticket for $300 and being kept on the runway for a few hours should not entitle you to $2000. It is excessive.
It won't, unless I'm misunderstanding something. The max compensation amount for a delay -- within the carrier's control, and not safety-related -- whether on the tarmac or not, is
  • $400 for 3 hours
  • $700 for 6 hours
  • $1000 for 9 hours or more.
This is very much in line with the EC 261 compensation amounts. The delay timelines are significantly longer, but then again, Canada is significantly larger.

The larger compensation amounts only come into play for people who are IDBed. Those are $900, $1800, and $2400, for a delay of <6, 6-9, or >9 hours, respectively.

Here's the regulation itself: Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 11: Air Passenger Protection Regulations
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by shadowspar
It won't, unless I'm misunderstanding something. The max compensation amount for a delay -- within the carrier's control, and not safety-related -- whether on the tarmac or not, is
  • $400 for 3 hours
  • $700 for 6 hours
  • $1000 for 9 hours or more.
This is very much in line with the EC 261 compensation amounts. The delay timelines are significantly longer, but then again, Canada is significantly larger.

The larger compensation amounts only come into play for people who are IDBed. Those are $900, $1800, and $2400, for a delay of <6, 6-9, or >9 hours, respectively.

Here's the regulation itself: Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 11: Air Passenger Protection Regulations
Imagine an airline like Flair or AirTransat where long delays are not uncommon. This is going to be very expensive for them. What it is going to do is bring the bottom of the market up. AC is not going to look that much more expensive. This is good for AC, but for the bottom feeders airlines.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Here's an article from the Globe & Mail (July 6, Report on Business, page B3). Apparently Canadian airlines - including AC - have gone to the Federal Court of Appeal in an attempt to quash the Canadian pax bill of rights. Per the article, "Air Canada and Porter Airlines Inc., along with 17 other applicants that include the International Air Transport Association (IATA) – which has some 290 member airlines – state in a court filing that required payments under the country’s new air-passenger bill of rights violates international standards and should be rendered invalid."

There are a couple of quotes attributed to John McKenna who I presume is the head of an airline lobbying group. One quote says that Mr. McKenna "called the compensation grid “very high” and the new rules “outrageous”."
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Imagine an airline like Flair or AirTransat where long delays are not uncommon. This is going to be very expensive for them. What it is going to do is bring the bottom of the market up. AC is not going to look that much more expensive. This is good for AC, but for the bottom feeders airlines.
The longest delay I've had this year was on AC. Same for last year too, now that I think about it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Here's an article from the Globe & Mail (July 6, Report on Business, page B3). Apparently Canadian airlines - including AC - have gone to the Federal Court of Appeal in an attempt to quash the Canadian pax bill of rights. Per the article, "Air Canada and Porter Airlines Inc., along with 17 other applicants that include the International Air Transport Association (IATA) – which has some 290 member airlines – state in a court filing that required payments under the country’s new air-passenger bill of rights violates international standards and should be rendered invalid."

There are a couple of quotes attributed to John McKenna who I presume is the head of an airline lobbying group. One quote says that Mr. McKenna "called the compensation grid “very high” and the new rules “outrageous”."
Quoting McKenna from this G&M article: “They’re trying to meet international standards and do better, and I don’t see why.” (emphasis mine).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Yes indeed a lobbyist in his capacity as President of the Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC). He has a long history in politics starting out in the Quebec provincial Liberal Bourassa era.
I read the quote you posted and had a bit of a chuckle when I noted that his education includes a Master's degrees in Soviet and East European Economic Studies from Carleton University. Perhaps he longs for the good old days of the Soviet Union when passengers did as they were told?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
The longest delay I've had this year was on AC. Same for last year too, now that I think about it.
My longest delay has been Flair. Vancouver to Edmonton. (Don't ask why my co-worker booked us on this airline). Something about both WestJet and Air Canada being booked during the time window we wanted to fly.

The plane that operates Vancouver to Edmonton begins its day in Toronto and visits Winnipeg, Calgary before making its way to Vancouver. It left Toronto a few hours late and did not manage to make up time. Getting into Vancouver an hour or two late. They have some paper work problem, then after a bit more of delay, some passangers decide to get off the flight, so another delay as there luggage is pulled offer. We end up 4-5 late into Edmonton. My first and last experience with them.

Air Canada has problems, but nothing like these guys. Anything that forces them to become closer to AC is good for the travelling public and reputable airlines like AC in that makes its cheaper competition less cheap.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
First Phase! T-15 mins!

First Phase! T-15 mins!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Today CBC reports that the Attorney General of Canada is calling the court challenge to Canada's new Pax Bill of Rights ""ill-founded" and should be dismissed".

CBC goes on to report that "In a pair of court filings, lawyers for the federal government and the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) say the government will fight air carriers' attempt to overturn rules that beef up compensation for travellers subjected to delayed flights and damaged luggage."
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
AC1942 YUL-LIM Aug 17

My niece was scheduled to fly on AC1942 yesterday. Flight was cancelled due to "crew constraints". AC offered her a hotel room and a $500 voucher. Is she entitled to more? (She is traveling alone with a 2 yr old baby, so this is a bit of a nightmare for her.)

As far as I can tell, the flight hasn't taken off yet. I think it's been renamed AC1992. The latest status update says departure of 14:19 today, but it's still showing as delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.