Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My niece was scheduled to fly on AC1942 yesterday. Flight was cancelled due to "crew constraints". AC offered her a hotel room and a $500 voucher. Is she entitled to more? (She is traveling alone with a 2 yr old baby, so this is a bit of a nightmare for her.)

As far as I can tell, the flight hasn't taken off yet. I think it's been renamed AC1992. The latest status update says departure of 14:19 today, but it's still showing as delayed.
Flight disruptions are only covered after Dec 15. Summary here: https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-passen...ons-highlights

AC1992 departed YUL @ 14:30, scheduled to arrive at 20:50.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....As far as I can tell, the flight hasn't taken off yet. I think it's been renamed AC1992. The latest status update says departure of 14:19 today, but it's still showing as delayed.
@margarita girl

and maybe keep this one as there are no entries on EF for AC 9142 from yesterday or 1992 from today

Ah, AC posted a reason

Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks all. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what "crew constraints" are?

Any hope that she might be able to get cash instead of a voucher?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The app has been giving stupid/false reasons lately for delays. It could be weather, or it could be a drunk pilot. But more likely the former.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: *G
Thanks all. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what "crew constraints" are?
I read "crew constraints" as insufficient legal crew to operate the flight. Could be because one or more scheduled crew were delayed on a previous assignment and needed additional rest. Or good old summer vacations (although that is usually near end of month when crew run out of hours and manage to avoid being drafted by never answering the phone).

Based on seatguru, rouge 767 has 279 seats, so min cabin crew is 6?

Or a sick pilot. That caused cancellation of a recent AC 34.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The app has been giving stupid/false reasons lately for delays. It could be weather, or it could be a drunk pilot. But more likely the former.
I doubt AC would be handing out $500 vouchers to people with no status due to weather issues.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:35 pm

I doubt AC would be handing out $500 vouchers to people with no status due to weather issues.
Agreed, but I've seen "crew constraints" when it actually was weather. And mechanical.

So I just don't trust it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
CBC: AC hit with [$12.5K] in fines for violating new passenger protections

I'm sure this belongs to this thread, but if it doesn't - mods, please move.

Air Canada hit with [$12.5K] in fines for violating new passenger protections

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...-cta-1.5270705

Ok, I took out the other airlines mentioned from the title since this is the AC/AP thread.

Originally Posted by https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-air-canada-air-transat-porter-air-passenger-regulations-fines-cta-1.5270705

The airlines are accused of not posting passenger rights information at designated airport locations

WestJet, Air Canada, Air Transat and Porter Airlines have been hit with fines totalling $45,000 for failing to properly display notices about passenger rights at various Canadian airports.

The fines are the first monetary penalties the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has doled out to airlines for violating the new federal Air Passenger Protection Regulations, the first phase of which took effect on July 15.

According to the regulations, airlines operating flights to or from a Canadian airport must display a notice at check-in, self-service kiosks and boarding gates, informing passengers that if they're denied boarding, or their luggage is lost or damaged, they may be entitled to compensation.

Inconvenienced travellers can receive up to $2,400 for being denied boarding and up to $2,100 for luggage mishaps.

The CTA issued its fines on Aug. 27. WestJet received the biggest penalty: $17,500 for seven infractions where the airline failed to post the passenger rights notice at airports in Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton and Quebec City...

Last edited by yyznomad; Sep 5, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: AC fined $12.5K
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Reminds me of...

Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm sure this belongs to this thread, but if it doesn't - mods, please move.

Air Canada hit with $45K in fines for violating new passenger protections

Ok, I took out the other airlines mentioned from the title since this is the AC/AP thread.
Except, AC was fined $12,500. $45,000 was for all three together...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Except, AC was fined $12,500. $45,000 was for all three together...
Oh right... will change.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:16 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I love the comments from the AC spokesmodel. Basically, he said that "it's harrrd" to comply with the rules.

Cry me a river.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I love the comments from the AC spokesmodel. Basically, he said that "it's harrrd" to comply with the rules.

Cry me a river.
If AC can consistently have a sign at SFO check-in explaining which flights have UA access, and which have AF lounge access*, they can surely put up a passenger rights sign.

* Yes, that ended a couple years ago.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
New compensation rules question...

My neighbour was flying Windsor - Toronto - Fredericton. The Toronto to Fredericton flight was cancelled and she was rerouted through Montreal arriving in Fredericton at Midnight instead of 17:20 - almost six hours later. Is she entitled to compensation and if so how does she go about it?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Why was the flight canceled? Or more correctly, what reason did AC give for the cancelation, if any?

(The answers to those two questions may be different.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.