Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
That's the Halifax kid, idn't it? Can't take this too seriously. He has made an industry of going after airlines.
Although if the rules don't apply to maintenance delays, he probably has a valid point.
mellon likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's the Halifax kid, idn't it? Can't take this too seriously. He has made an industry of going after airlines.
Dr. Lukacs is not a "kid". He is a 38 year old internationally renowned mathematician. I doubt that there is anyone on FT who completed a PhD at the age of 20, received the prestigious Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship at Universität Bremen, Germany, worked as an associate professor at Dalhousie, and gained renowned and respect for his public service all before the age of 30.
The comments of Dr. Lukacs are reasonable. Canada's Senate also tried to act on several of the same issues raised by Dr. Lukacs, only to be ignored by Minister Garneau. Dismissing Dr. Lukacs as a "kid" is a crude and disrespectful attempt to diminish his standing as an advocate for those who have no one else to turn to.

I remind you that this gentleman has been one of the few people to actually help those unable to take on the Canadian airline industry. The reality is that Canadians owe Dr. Lukacs of considerable debt of gratitude ,because his efforts were a major factor in getting the new rules, even if somewhat weak. No one else intervened to help maltreated Sunwing and Air Transat passengers. I respect this man and hold him in high regard. Contrary to your claim of his creating an "industry" out of passenger rights, he makes no money off of his efforts to help Canadians.The man has great integrity, refusing to be bought off and has a long standing history of holding fast to his principles of honesty and consideration of others. He is a caring compassionate man, albeit in need of some nicer clothes and a bit of grooming.
rankourabu, pitz, angra and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Dr. Lukacs is not a "kid". He is a 38 year old internationally renowned mathematician. I doubt that there is anyone on FT who completed a PhD at the age of 20, received the prestigious Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship at Universität Bremen, Germany,
And who was denied tenure because he had too much of a chip on his shoulder, likely antagonized all his colleagues.. Instead, tuned into self-proclaimed "passenger advocate.". Mainly as a way to cater to his overinflated ego.. This is not a good situation.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks this isn't the Gabor Lukacs thread so let's focus on the thread topic. Or else.

tcook052
Air Canada mod.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Just had a chance to look at the 'revised' recommendation after my holidays. Boy does it suck. It is actually in some instances worse than current protections. I guess the airline industry lobbyists have done their job. By excluding mechanical issues it pretty much cancels out any delay compensation. Same with IDB. Some folks in the govt have no idea how this works and probably just accepted a typed up summary from the airlines.
smallmj and mellon like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Turns out I've got an associate who writes a lot of TC decisions (signed by the appointees). Infrequently involved in airline stuff, but her sentiment has the bureaucrats all disgusted
Old May 24, 2019, 9:58 am

Canadian Passenger Protection

I didn't see anything on this. Mods, feel free to move if required.

Seems that large and small airlines are most effected by this. There are also some COS stipulations. I think AC will likely be the most affected by these regulations...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pas...ails-1.5147589

There are requirements to re-book on other carriers, etc. I wonder if there might soon be an interline agreement between AC/WS, etc. or what other changes might be coming at AC. Higher airfares, schedule changes, etc? It'll be interesting to see what happens...

The federal government is rolling out its air passenger protection regulations on the eve of the summer travel season setting out what compensation airlines must pay for failing to provide adequate services to passengers.

The new regulations announced Friday will be launched in two phases. Some regulations come into force on July 15, while others will not take effect until December 15.

"Our goal was to provide a world-leading approach to air passenger rights that would be predictable and fair for passengers while ensuring our air carriers remain strong and competitive," Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in a statement.

"After a long and thorough consultation process, I am proud to say these new regulations achieve that balance and will give air travellers the rights and treatment they pay for and deserve," he added.

The regulations will apply to all flights to, from and within Canada, including connecting flights. Large airlines, those that have serviced two million passengers or more in the last two years, will have a slightly different regulatory regime than smaller airlines in some cases.

Last edited by tcook052; May 24, 2019 at 10:06 am Reason: edit to include article synopsis as per FT Rules
Old May 24, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
"Overbooking delays of less than six hours will require a minimum $900 payment, delays between six and nine hours mean a minimum $1,800 payment and delays longer than nine hours will see passengers compensated a minimum of $2,400."

this seems like a big improvement over current numbers. I remember getting 400$ and a hotel room for an overbooked flight in YYC long time ago, with these rules in place, that would be 2400?
Old May 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
"Overbooking delays of less than six hours will require a minimum $900 payment, delays between six and nine hours mean a minimum $1,800 payment and delays longer than nine hours will see passengers compensated a minimum of $2,400."

this seems like a big improvement over current numbers. I remember getting 400$ and a hotel room for an overbooked flight in YYC long time ago, with these rules in place, that would be 2400?
That's how I am reading it. Its an improvement over what was originally proposed. Remains to be seen if this has teeth or if there is wriggle room. For example delays are not counted if its because of safety reasons. Who will decide what the delay is for other than the airline ? I guess most mechanical issues can be described as safety reason. This should cut down a bit on overbooking but I do not think it will help with compensation for delays.
It also does not explain what compensation would be provided for an alternate routing and if the compensation is mandatory. So if AC has one flight to TPE and oversells it, do they pay you comp for four hours if they put you on a connecting flight with another airline ? The passenger may have paid more for the direct flight.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
That's how I am reading it. Its an improvement over what was originally proposed. Remains to be seen if this has teeth or if there is wriggle room. For example delays are not counted if its because of safety reasons. Who will decide what the delay is for other than the airline ? I guess most mechanical issues can be described as safety reason. This should cut down a bit on overbooking but I do not think it will help with compensation for delays.
It also does not explain what compensation would be provided for an alternate routing and if the compensation is mandatory. So if AC has one flight to TPE and oversells it, do they pay you comp for four hours if they put you on a connecting flight with another airline ? The passenger may have paid more for the direct flight.
They don't process denied boarding until boarding is underway, so best case scenario the new itinerary departs at the same time. If there's an extra connection, it's going to arrive later than the direct. Therefore, there would always be compensation.

It's less clear if you book YVR-HKG-SIN and get rebooked YVR-ICN-SIN, but then the argument about "paying more for the direct" doesn't apply.

I think a minimum of $900 for any denied boarding situation is going to result in a drastic change in how they handle this.

Right now, there's no negotiation. VDB gets the same as IDB. I can't see that policy remaining any more. I'd certainly settle for a lot less than $900 to be an hour late on YYZ-YOW.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
This is great, but it will cost all of us. I am sure fares will increase so airlines can build a contingency fund or similar for this!

Before only those in the know or with status who are in the know, knew how the system worked! Now everyone will be treated equally!

I read that one section which states that with delays and cancellations that airlines must get the passenger to their destination in their class of service. Not sure if you peel this back if you were upgraded do you revert back to what you paid or its the boarding pass you are holding?

GO Raptors GO
Old May 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I rea1dt hat one section which states that with delays and cancellations that airlines must get the passenger to their destination in their class of service. Not sure if you peel this back if you were upgraded do you revert back to what you paid or its the boarding pass you are holding?
I would strongly suspect it would be whatever class you booked, not necessarily what you got upgraded to.
5mm likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They don't process denied boarding until boarding is underway, so best case scenario the new itinerary departs at the same time. If there's an extra connection, it's going to arrive later than the direct. Therefore, there would always be compensation.

It's less clear if you book YVR-HKG-SIN and get rebooked YVR-ICN-SIN, but then the argument about "paying more for the direct" doesn't apply.

I think a minimum of $900 for any denied boarding situation is going to result in a drastic change in how they handle this.

Right now, there's no negotiation. VDB gets the same as IDB. I can't see that policy remaining any more. I'd certainly settle for a lot less than $900 to be an hour late on YYZ-YOW.
I agree but my point was that AC generally charges more that for some of the competitors with connections. Paying for a 4 hr delay does not factor the inconvenience of connection which some of us are paying to avoid. If I am paying $900 for YYZ-SFO direct on AC (5 hrs) when there is a AA flight with connections (7 hrs) for $550, paying me $400 or so does not make me happy. $900 may do the trick.
I still do not know if this will be mandatory or only if you demand it.
AC will have to be very careful specially at some times of the year when all flights are full.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:10 pm

In the case of overbooking, hopefully what happens is that VDB offers are increased, so that people take them, and that IDB is a rare occurrence, so the situation described by @vernonc rarely occurs. There have been plenty of instances where I'd have gladly taken VDB if the offer had been a bit more generous, and those values would have been below what is now required for IDB.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
This will definitely increase fares for everyone.
5mm likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 25, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.