Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
What is ORC (Original Routing Credit)?
ORC is when you receive SQM, SQS, SQD, and Aeroplan points based on the itinerary you booked, rather than the itinerary you flew.

When am I eligible for ORC?
If, on day of departure, you encounter irregular operations, such that you are rebooked from flights that can be credited to Aeroplan (generally Star Alliance, but there are other airlines where this would be eligible) to flights that cannot be credited.

For example, if you are scheduled to fly YOW-EWR on AC, and EWR-CDG on UA, but due to a delay, AC or UA rebook you on AF YOW-CDG.

But what if I get re-booked on AC and/or Star Alliance partners and earn less than my original itinerary?
Generally, ORC is not awarded for re-bookings on AC/*A. On one occasion, an FTer reported receiving a makewhole for the reduced Aeroplan points after being re-booked on a different *A itinerary, but no SQx. If you're re-booked entirely on AC/*A, you should expect no ORC.

What does ORC give me?
​​​​​​
If AC, gives you ORC, they will generally give you missing SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points. They have consistently not awarded SQS.

How do I request ORC?
After travel is completed, email [email protected] with as much of the following as you have:
1. Your name and Aeroplan number
2. A brief description of what happened
3. A copy of the original itinerary (the most recent confirmation of what you were supposed to fly), including the ticket number
4. A copy of flown itinerary (if you received one after the rebooking)
5. Copies of the original boarding passes for what you were supposed to fly
6. Copies of the boarding passes for the flights you actually flew

How do I maximize this?
After the rebooking, add a frequent flyer number to the new flights that is eligible for accumulation. For example, if you're rebooked onto AF, add a SkyTeam program number, so you can earn miles from that flight, in addition to receiving the ORC.

Where can I find AC's ORC policy?
You can't, because it's not published externally. ORC is not a stated benefit of Aeroplan, purely a goodwill gesture.
​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cur
So if I am crediting to UA mileage plus, and my yyz-yvr-yyc required an invol re-route yyz-yyc, I go to United over this?
Yes
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Is ORC still credited in case of irrops?

I had 4 flights and over 5K SQMs planned for today within Canada , but my first flight has a 5 hr mechanical delay and my connecting flight (which I would have missed anyway) was cancelled. It’s probably easiest to just fly as direct a route now (~3K SQMs) and call it a day.

Will I be able to submit my original itinerary and get the original routing SQMs?

Should I call AC and propose new flights, or just wait for an agent to hand me the new itinerary upon arrival in YYZ? The updated email and app also acknowledges the second flight that’s been cancelled, but gives me no option to rebook.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I had 4 flights and over 5K SQMs planned for today within Canada , but my first flight has a 5 hr mechanical delay and my connecting flight (which I would have missed anyway) was cancelled. It’s probably easiest to just fly as direct a route now (~3K SQMs) and call it a day.

Will I be able to submit my original itinerary and get the original routing SQMs?

Should I call AC and propose new flights, or just wait for an agent to hand me the new itinerary upon arrival in YYZ? The updated email and app also acknowledges the second flight that’s been cancelled, but gives me no option to rebook.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
@TTC900Rocket, I've moved your post here from the thread on whether anyone is flying during COVID as this thread contains the relevant information.

But I see your post was a few weeks ago... Where did you get to with this?

For what it's worth, in January 2020, I was booked to fly LIS-MUC-YYZ-YYC (LH-AC-AC), and due to IRROPs, was re-routed LIS-FRA-YYC (TP-AC). We lost a considerable number of miles as a result. I wrote in and asked for ORC in November 2020 and was awarded the difference in Aeroplan point, but no SQM. I seem to have accidentally deleted the e-mail exchange with AC on the topic, or my search skills are failing me. But that was the outcome.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Customer service denied my request and said I would only get credit for the actual flights flown. Approximately 1000 SQMs and LQMs were lost. I did get $180 more in SQD, surprisingly, plus a 15% off code.

I did make the subsequent booking that more than made up for the shortfall, and due to a number of schedule changes, have picked up several hundred SQMs here and there, so I am in the black, happily.

Here is AC's response (it's formatted terribly in the email format; mismatched fonts and sizing... really amateurish, to be honest):

Dear TTC900Rocket,

Thank you for writing to us about your flights to ___________.

As per the terms of Aeroplan, mileage/segments can only be credited as per flights that are flown and we aren't able to provide additional crediting as requested.

As a gesture of goodwill for your experience, I would like to provide you a one time saving of 15% off of the base fare on your next booking at aircanada.com. Please refer to the information below for complete details of your promo code.

We very much appreciate your continued loyalty and support, TTC900Rocket, and we hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you on board again in the near future.

Sincerely,
*Name of employee*
Executive Centre
Customer Relations

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@TTC900Rocket, I've moved your post here from the thread on whether anyone is flying during COVID as this thread contains the relevant information.

But I see your post was a few weeks ago... Where did you get to with this?
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Aug 21, 2021 at 8:37 pm Reason: Added the AC response to my request and additional thoughts
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
SQD/SQM for an IROPS flight booked on a non-Star-Alliance airline

I booked a flight, YOW->YUL->LHR->OSL, directly through Air Canada. Premium Economy, and it was very expensive for this route ($3200). I booked the expensive fair specifically to top up my SQD for status. Currently a 50K.

The first flight was delayed due to "ground handling delays" (airline's fault, not safety related) and I missed the connection to LHR (by 3 mins... they couldn't be bothered to extend boarding by 3 mins). They rebooked me on a couple Air France flights through Paris.

My question is, will I get SQD and SQM for the Air France flights? I would expect to, since I bought the ticket through AC and it was supposed to be an AC flight, but since Air France isn't Star Alliance, technically those flights don't qualify for SQD/SQM. And I simply do not trust AC not to screw me out of the status just for the fun of it, given my recent experiences with them.

Anyone else dealt with this before?

On a side note, screw AC. Even on the Elite 50K phone line, the hold times have been more than 2 hours every time I've called over the past week, and they seem to have ditched their callback system. And while they could have rebooked me on an AC flight to Paris instead of Air France, which left earlier and which I probably would have been able to carry my confirmed eUpgrade over to, they said "nope, can't do that, not possible even though there are seats" without any explanation as to why it wasn't possible.

This is the second international flight I've had with AC in 2 weeks that has been completely botched due to their screw ups (last one resulted in an overnight stay at a ...... hotel in Houston with a 18 hour total delay). That's a 100% failure rate.

/rant
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You can request "Original Routing Credit (ORC)", check this thread for details.

[Moderator note: thread merged with ORC thread - Adam Smith]

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 30, 2021 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:01 pm

Could anyone advise of the best way to contact Air Canada regarding a latitude fare YVR-YUL-VIE-CPT (AC and OS metal), which got adjusted to YVR-LHR-CPT (AC and BA metal) due to OS cancelling their flight south to CPT.

Miles for the LHR-CPT on BA metal have not posted.

Is it best to call in, or is there an email where documents can be provided. Unfortunately in trying to claim on aircanada.com, BA is not an option to submit for.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Afta-Noon
Could anyone advise of the best way to contact Air Canada regarding a latitude fare YVR-YUL-VIE-CPT (AC and OS metal), which got adjusted to YVR-LHR-CPT (AC and BA metal) due to OS cancelling their flight south to CPT.
You can try the e-mail address listed upthread, which may or may not work given the Aeroplan transition, or contact AC via the customer service web form.

Miles for the LHR-CPT on BA metal have not posted.
They never will. AC doesn't award points for flights on BA.

You can credit this flight to a oneworld program, or other program that would award miles for this flight, e.g. BA or AA.

If you write in and AC grants it, they will give you an adjustment in SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points for the difference between what you flew that credited to Aeroplan (YVR-LHR) and what you originally booked (YVR-YUL-VIE-CPT).
Afta-Noon likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
I had a similar issue a couple of year ago. Like you, after much back and forth with Air Canada, they manually removed the flight I took from Canada to LHR and credit what the original flight that was booked YYZ - Dubai. I was got this done through the Concierge, but knew if you call into Aeroplan and tell them, stick with it as it moves up the chain of command, the front line person probably will give you "cn't be done" response, just say can you please check with your supervisor. The supervisors seem to know how to get it done, if the front line person does not.
Afta-Noon likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by The Macker
I was got this done through the Concierge, but knew if you call into Aeroplan and tell them, stick with it as it moves up the chain of command, the front line person probably will give you "cn't be done" response, just say can you please check with your supervisor. The supervisors seem to know how to get it done, if the front line person does not.
I would not recommend phoning in. It will be far quicker to send an e-mail/use the customer service web form than dealing with someone at the call centre.
Afta-Noon and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium
Collect Aeroplan when being rebooked to non-star?

My Lufthansa flight got cancelled today and was rebooked to BA/RJ. My Aeroplan number seems to still be logged on the BA site - but wondering if I’d still collect Miles/SQM?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:37 am

No. If you were involuntarily rebooked outside *A you can try writing in to Lufthansa and asking them to credit miles as per the original booking. Not sure if they will credit to a program other than M&M though.

My only experience in this has been getting AC to credit miles to Aeroplan for an AC ticket moved to another carrier.
yyzgigi likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:01 am

Unless anything's changed, the answer is yes.

My example was a US (so yes, a while ago) flight rebooked onto AA during IRROPS (because the merger had started). It was a US ticket. Aeroplan gave me ORC.

After flying, just email [email protected] with the original booking, any updated itineraries you received, boarding passes, etc.

In my case, I sent the original booking email, showing US-operated flights, the updated booking email, showing AA-operated flights, and my AA boarding passes.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:12 pm

Aeroplan points when rebooked to Delta?

About a month ago an AirCanada flight of mine (IAD -> YYZ -> YVR) got cancelled a few hours before departure and I got rebooked to another flight operated by United (IAD -> SEA -> YVR).

About two hours prior to our arrival in SEA the flight from SEA -> YVR got cancelled as well and I was rebooked to yet another flight from SEA -> YVR with Delta.

After finally making it home (with a 9h overnight layover in SEA) I noticed that I only got Aeroplan points for the flight with United, but not for the one with Delta.

I assume that is since Delta is not a Aeroplan partner?
Can I still get my points for that flight somehow? After all I booked the flight with AirCanada originally, partially because I wanted to collect those points.

Or can they just rebook us to another airline/flight where we then don't get any points?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:24 pm

How many points were you expecting? How many did you get? They often rebook you into higher fare classes in IRROPS, so it's possible that you got more than you "paid for".

Otherwise, you can write in for ORC. There's a thread about that somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.