Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: If booking Aeroplan award flight for someone else,do they get your status privileges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: If booking Aeroplan award flight for someone else,do they get your status privileges?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
If booking Aeroplan award flight for someone else,do they get your status privileges?

Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if I'm breaking any rules. I really did try to find a thread that answered my question, but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

I am AC 50K, and I booked a reward flight for someone else who does not have airline status. When they take this flight, do they have my status privileges, since it was booked from my 50K account? Specifically: baggage limits and lounge access.

Once I had someone with 100K status book me a flight, and I believe I got their baggage and lounge privileges, though I can't remember, since if I hadn't, I would have just used my own 50K status card.

Anybody for sure know the answer to this? Thanks a bunch
Old May 15, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 35k
No, you get the privileges of the fare. If you got baggage and lounge privileges, you were probably travelling on a J ticket. For regular economy (Y) you'll get squat.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
No, you get the privileges of the fare. If you got baggage and lounge privileges, you were probably travelling on a J ticket. For regular economy (Y) you'll get squat.
If I was booking a flight for someone without status I'd give them a MLL voucher, if it was Dom/TB. Can one buy intl lounge access on a X ticket?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:05 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by j00lius
Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if I'm breaking any rules. I really did try to find a thread that answered my question, but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

I am AC 50K, and I booked a reward flight for someone else who does not have airline status. When they take this flight, do they have my status privileges, since it was booked from my 50K account? Specifically: baggage limits and lounge access.

Once I had someone with 100K status book me a flight, and I believe I got their baggage and lounge privileges, though I can't remember, since if I hadn't, I would have just used my own 50K status card.

Anybody for sure know the answer to this? Thanks a bunch
The passenger will receive benefits, of, either the class of service they are booked in, or, the FF status they have.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
The passenger will receive benefits, of, either the class of service they are booked in, or, the FF status they have.
The passenger should receive the benefits of either the class booked in or the FF status, whichever is higher.

As evidenced by a number of threads here however, what the passenger will receive, may vary based on a variety of factors. Including but not limited to:

- Airport
- Air Canada Staff
- Air Canada IT
- Knowledge and willingness of pax to carry print outs of Air Canada website
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Officially, no.

Until recently (last year), often yes, but that was never an intended feature. It seems to have been fixed.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Also, if passenger is on a mixed-cabin award with a connection, the baggage policy will be determined by the originating flight each time the bag is checked.

Good for my Sister in law who I booked yyz-yvr (Y), yvr-hnl (J).
Not so good for her return hnl-lax (Y), lax-yyz (J).
Old May 15, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
The passenger should receive the benefits of either the class booked in or the FF status, whichever is higher.

As evidenced by a number of threads here however, what the passenger will receive, may vary based on a variety of factors. Including but not limited to:

- Airport
- Air Canada Staff
- Air Canada IT

Great post and so very true. While you might read on the website, email confirmation or TOC what you should get. These two very prominent mitigating factors will absolutely impact your journey.

- Air Canada Staff
- Air Canada IT
Old May 15, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

- Airport
- Air Canada Staff
- Air Canada IT
Where is this stated as a benefit ? I have booked my family on AC metal using my AE points and they did not get any benefits of my status (I was not travelling). And when I checked with AE they said nothing applies, not even seat selection much less bags or anything else.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by vernonc
Where is this stated as a benefit ? I have booked my family on AC metal using my AE points and they did not get any benefits of my status (I was not travelling). And when I checked with AE they said nothing applies, not even seat selection much less bags or anything else.
I believe jc94 means the higher of the fare class booked or the status of those flying.
Since members of your family have no status, they got squat, as expected.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
I believe jc94 means the higher of the fare class booked or the status of those flying.
Since members of your family have no status, they got squat, as expected.
Yes, though I was also alluding to the fact that if I as an E35 book a Y AP ticket I should get Z2 boarding, priority security and 3 bags etc. What would I actually get? I wouldn't bank on more than a fight to get 3 bags and probably into a Dom/TB lounge (though I'd take a voucher to avoid a fight).

I've never tried it under these conditions though. But I am disturbed by having the smallest state agreeing with me (j/k )

Bad month!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

- Airport
- Air Canada Staff
- Air Canada IT
Agree with COS, but status of the account holder from whom the award ticket was issued does not get conferred. In fact, it has proven impossible to put one's own Altitude account number on the reservation to get the benefits your elite status might confer. You'd have to show your card at the airport. I've been unsuccessful at getting my account number on any such tickets, though some report they've been able to.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Agree with COS, but status of the account holder from whom the award ticket was issued does not get conferred. In fact, it has proven impossible to put one's own Altitude account number on the reservation to get the benefits your elite status might confer. You'd have to show your card at the airport. I've been unsuccessful at getting my account number on any such tickets, though some report they've been able to.
I believe FQTR has to be replaced with FQTV or something. Knew I should have flagged that thread.

Required an agent willing to do it, or try it. I can see SE having more success with concierges here.

Maybe this will improve in 2020!
Old May 16, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

If I was booking a flight for someone without status I'd give them a MLL voucher, if it was Dom/TB. Can one buy intl lounge access on a X ticket?
I can give them a voucher, but it was much more the baggage allowance that I was hoping would transfer.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I was definitely not on a J ticket. I know I checked two bags and didn't pay, and one lounge for sure I was let into without having to show my card, they just scanned my boarding pass and said I was good to go. Someone else mentioned that was a glitch that may have been corrected by now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.