Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Firstly, AC screwed up though where isn't clear. But it's not exactly on the same level as other recent stories.

I don't get why they sent the guy to YYC though, it's only marginally closer, and they have slightly more (well, maybe several more) flights a day to YXE, but wouldn't staying put have been easier and cheaper? I have to believe a hotel in YWG is significantly cheaper and just stick him on the daily non-stop.

Another question - yet again, did AC ask for volunteers? If not, shouldn't they be fined? That's what I want to know.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
This guy has way too many feelings. Maybe he just needs a glass of wine and a good cry.

He's owed compensation if he was compliant with AC policies and those policies or regulations state he is.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Qingyan Liu even provided a sad emo selfie for CBC to share.

He seems like the kid in school who would call his teacher, "mommy", and got beaten up, and then his older brothers would also get beaten up, by the younger kids, when he would get his older brothers to help.
Going public with his story is folly in ways that Quinyan probably never considered. Hypothetical situation:

He applies for a job and his resumé is one of many being screened. The interviewer remembers his name from the CBC story, or simply googles his name and finds the story. Do you think quotes attributed to him like "it's about feelings ... emotional things" and "It made me feel very confused, lost and depressed" would improve his chances of being selected for an interview?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Looks like another AC screw-up, but this guy is really hamming it up. Emotional distress at being separated from his girlfriend for one night, please
Was he 15 years old?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
Going public with his story is folly in ways that Quinyan probably never considered. Hypothetical situation:

He applies for a job and his resumé is one of many being screened. The interviewer remembers his name from the CBC story, or simply googles his name and finds the story. Do you think quotes attributed to him like "it's about feelings ... emotional things" and "It made me feel very confused, lost and depressed" would improve his chances of being selected for an interview?
Ha - there's a far greater chance that he won't get an interview because of his 'exotic' name, than there is of him missing out on one because of a fight with AC. Given how hating AC is national sport, one could argue that it might even help his chances.

Always amusing that these threads turn into how the consumer reacts, rather than what took place.

Obfuscate, attack, obfuscate, attack. Same tactic, different day.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yulred
Obfuscate, attack, obfuscate, attack. Same tactic, different day.
The ONLY thing that I think Air Canada messed up was the fact they didn't pay for his hotel. At Calgary, I believe there's a Delta at the hotel, it's about $200 or so a night. The kid couldn't ponder up $200? No insurance? That's on him. HOWEVER, -should AC have picked up the tab, yes they should have.

I don't know how others here would react - would I pony up the $200 and call it a day? Yes. If I couldn't, then I'm definitely not an adult but the last thing I would have done is contact the media.

This other emotional distress thing is far overblown and if he is in fact completely shattered after this incident, then there is NO way that he is an alleged world traveler. So that makes him a liar, then? At the very least, I hope his girlfriend wakes up and realizes she was/am in love with a child.

So yes, I will attack the traveler because either he is exaggerating how he's taking this or he is not a world traveler.

Either way, I suspect this child needs his mother. My children would have responded more appropriately than he did.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver

he is actually a phd canadiate, so I am not worried about his career
Old May 15, 2017, 1:36 pm

The only reason I would have been annoyed that they had been separated is if I was the one that had to make a trip to the airport 2 hours away to pick them up.........TWICE! lol

I wish we had the whole story....who made the mistake, did he take any kind of meds before the flight which may have caused his "emotional" reaction, etc. I guess I just want to believe that this guy, who travels all over the place, had a good reason for his reaction...

But I don't think we will ever know the whole story...
Old May 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
The ONLY thing that I think Air Canada messed up was the fact they didn't pay for his hotel. At Calgary, I believe there's a Delta at the hotel, it's about $200 or so a night. The kid couldn't ponder up $200? No insurance? That's on him. HOWEVER, -should AC have picked up the tab, yes they should have.

I don't know how others here would react - would I pony up the $200 and call it a day? Yes. If I couldn't, then I'm definitely not an adult but the last thing I would have done is contact the media.

This other emotional distress thing is far overblown and if he is in fact completely shattered after this incident, then there is NO way that he is an alleged world traveler. So that makes him a liar, then? At the very least, I hope his girlfriend wakes up and realizes she was/am in love with a child.

So yes, I will attack the traveler because either he is exaggerating how he's taking this or he is not a world traveler.

Either way, I suspect this child needs his mother. My children would have responded more appropriately than he did.
And the little denied boarding situation, but really, the issue here isn't what AC did or how AC handled it.

The issue here is that he got upset and that he didn't have insurance.

Maybe he flies BR a lot. Maybe BR doesn't do this to its pax. I think he should just change his handle...err... name.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
And the little denied boarding situation, but really, the issue here isn't what AC did or how AC handled it.

The issue here is that he got upset and that he didn't have insurance.

Maybe he flies BR a lot. Maybe BR doesn't do this to its pax. I think he should just change his handle...err... name.
trust me, he has all the insurances he can get. He runs a points and miles blog which you can just google his name to find out.

I think he is trying to set up an example and attract more traffics to his blog for more sign up bonuses
Old May 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Ok, I think we've all piled on this guy and his feelings. What if he recently lost his parents, what if he was going to propose to her, what if they recently lost a baby together??????

We don't know whats gone on in his life so that he may be emotional.

I personally think it may be a ploy to get 'compensation', on the other hand he should have at least gotten a hotel room. Guy buys ticket to Saskatoon and ends up in Calgary on his own dime.............no way AC.

I think we can all agree that AC has dropped the ball here................AGAIN!!!!

The passenger bill of rights cannot come soon enough. I am hoping for monetary penalties to be laid out and a way (arbitration, courts, some form of tribunal) will be established to force AC to pay up for their (near endless) mistakes.

Last edited by tcook052; May 15, 2017 at 2:12 pm Reason: edit quote
Old May 15, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE

I have a blacklist of names
Old May 15, 2017, 2:18 pm

I still don't understand how the way the situation affected him nullifies or detracts from how AC handled the situation.

This is one of those bizarre threads where the people accusing this guy of being easily affected are manifesting all the behaviours of people who are easily affected/offended in their own reaction to him. They're as offended by his behaviour as he is by AC, but the offence they take is presumably more justified and righteous.

And for those of you waiting with bated breath for a passenger bill of rights... Good luck. It's being put forward by a department that has a history of putting airlines ahead of passengers. It would be foolhardy to the extreme to expect that this bill of rights will be any different.

But we can hope, I guess.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I still don't understand how the way the situation affected him nullifies or detracts from how AC handled the situation.

This is one of those bizarre threads where the people accusing this guy of being easily affected are manifesting all the behaviours of people who are easily affected/offended in their own reaction to him. They're as offended by his behaviour as he is by AC, but the offence they take is presumably more justified and righteous.

And for those of you waiting with bated breath for a passenger bill of rights... Good luck. It's being put forward by a department that has a history of putting airlines ahead of passengers. It would be foolhardy to the extreme to expect that this bill of rights will be any different.

But we can hope, I guess.
Great post. I'm fairly confident the AC rep in Winnipeg flew him to Calgary so he wouldn't have to deal with the issue.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Thumbs up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.