Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Aeroplan affinity credit cards after announcement of AC creating own FFP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Aeroplan affinity credit cards after announcement of AC creating own FFP

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I just cancelled 2 of mine this morning

If we all did that, it'll show Aimia how weak they are without AC and as payback for screwing us over with higher redemption costs

Disclosure: I have no short/long/other interest in Aimia stock. My only interest is probably 3000 Aeroplan miles left in my account that I don't know how to burn (burned through 80k last month).
Old May 12, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I was about to cancel my TD USA AE card anyway due to terrible customer service and I already haven't put a single dollar on it in months. One more reason to just go and do it.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Just paid renewal cost my AP Plat+ last month...too late
Old May 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
You're deluding yourself if you think an AC program will treat you any better.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsandhar
Just paid renewal cost my AP Plat+ last month...too late
When I cancelled with TD Canada this morning, the rep said they'll be offering a new cashback card next month that's lucrative.
Maybe you can call them, get the fee back in exchange for "considering" future business with them next month? lol

When I cancelled with TD US, nothing really got said by the rep. The TD Canada rep was very aware of the Aeroplan crap with Aimia tho and was prepped.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
AC FF'ers ... yes, well I would damn hope so.

Credit card churners...no....as it should be.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
If you are a FF, earning over 100K points per year(flying/charging), and using your points as you go, why cancel your card now? There are still 3 years to go. I think the only person that should make any changes is the person that earns a few points per year, saving their points over multi years for a trip.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If you are a FF, earning over 100K points per year(flying/charging), and using your points as you go, why cancel your card now? There are still 3 years to go. I think the only person that should make any changes is the person that earns a few points per year, saving their points over multi years for a trip.
1) The decreased card base will hurt Aimia, and let them know we don't like them for their greedy devaluations
2) TD may offer promotions to get people on their credit cards to NEW cardholders only. Cancelling now allows us to be eligible for that.
3) In case some people forget to cancel before the fee hits. I've cancelled 2 TD Aeroplan cards today, will be simplifying my other accounts soon too.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How I am looking at it.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Step one - step up FF plan
Step two - monetize FF plan and spin it off to separate company
Step three - Disassociate from FF plan and
Step four - See Step one.

Throughout Step 1-4 remember to treat all customers with disdain.

Burn your FF. Banking them is not a good idea. Blaming Aimia or AC as the culprit in the divorce is a 50/50 guess. Nobody knows who is to blame. The Scamcharges were laughingly accepted by both.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
1) The decreased card base will hurt Aimia, and let them know we don't like them for their greedy devaluations
If you feel that way, then why didn't you just cut up the cards years ago?
Old May 12, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sorry, are we talking about credit cards with Aeroplan affinity, or are we talking about quitting Aeroplan and therefore quitting AC status?
Old May 12, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sorry, are we talking about credit cards with Aeroplan affinity, or are we talking about quitting Aeroplan and therefore quitting AC status?
Quitting credit cards with Aeroplan affinity.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
If you feel that way, then why didn't you just cut up the cards years ago?
Because while I dislike Aimia for their greed, I do like free business class flights to asia
Old May 12, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, AC
I'm certainly in the "over 100K points per year" category (more like 500K) and I'm inclined to change cards. Why continue to accumulate points that may become worthless (or, at best, have an uncertain future)?

Originally Posted by The smallest state
Burn your FF. Banking them is not a good idea.
This is good advice in theory. But in practice I've only been able to score 2 award flights in the past 18 months. Banking requires less effort than burning.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
2) TD may offer promotions to get people on their credit cards to NEW cardholders only. Cancelling now allows us to be eligible for that.
3) In case some people forget to cancel before the fee hits. I've cancelled 2 TD Aeroplan cards today, will be simplifying my other accounts soon too.
1) You really think Aimia is greedy? Most of the devaluation has most likely come from the airlines, not to mention inflation.
2) Just game playing. You can always find these offers. No big deal at all. Plus, I'm sure the new Altitude(Lack of a better word) card will give big bonus for signing up.
3) ??? This is a moot point. Aeroplan is still up and running as normal. Isn't something you should look into in 2 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.