Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.loyaltymatters.net/expert...eroplan-miles/

A Blogger’s View: Aeroplan Members Should Keep on Collecting Miles
Isn't this blog owned by Aimia ?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rehoult
True, but the blogger they quote is an actual blogger. Not one of the majors, but not employed by Aimia to my knowledge.
Employed may be inaccurate since bloggers are generally entrepreneurs who don't typically do the work pro bono. Without knowing how the said blogger is remunerated or his/her relationship to Aimia, one has to take such "blog" with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:20 pm

The loyaltymatters isn't a blog, it is referring to an article on the actual blog here:

http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...eroplan-miles/

I also note this from the blog "You shouldn’t be hoarding points right now, but as long as you can spend down your balance between 2019 and 2020, you’ll be fine"
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:32 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by robsaw
The loyaltymatters isn't a blog, it is referring to an article on the actual blog here:

http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...eroplan-miles/

I also note this from the blog "You shouldn’t be hoarding points right now, but as long as you can spend down your balance between 2019 and 2020, you’ll be fine"
Yes, that kind of nuance was left out of the Aimia post. I think the Aimia folks assume the vast majority of people who read their post won't go read the Canadian Kilometres blog and will therefore never notice Aimia's hyper-positive spin.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
They've been promoting this for weeks on social media.

The 'blogger' should report on the post, how much he is paid by Aimia for his 'views'
I'm the blogger here. I wasn't paid anything.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Isn't this blog owned by Aimia ?
No, my site is not owned by Aimia.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm the blogger here. I wasn't paid anything.

No, my site is not owned by Aimia.
No one said your site is owned by Aimia. lcohen999 was referring to the site: Loyalty Matters, operated by Aimia. It's just that your site can't survive without revenue so forgive some of us for being somewhat skeptical when you said you aren't being paid. It is unclear how your site generates revenue. Also, here are the screenshots I took from your site:

I count at least 3 different Aeroplan related advertisements on one single page. Presumably, if your site has Aeroplan ads, among others, then it would be best that you put up a disclosure explaining the nature of the commercial relationships even if Aimia does not pay you directly.

Flyertalk tends to be frequented by frequent travellers who are more likely to be professionals from all walks of life. And for many of us, if we don't disclose potential conflict of interest, it's either illegal, unethical or a violation of the professional code we adhere to. In all cases, a potentially serious faux pas to make - not saying that's your case, just trying to make you understand why many people here are drilling on this point. So please don't mistake us as trying to nitpick on you. I can speak for myself - I am not. I always checked the sources when I read something, it's becoming a habit if not to assess the credibility of the author, then to see how the facts were obtained or how the claims were being supported. It's called due diligence. In this case, there is an immediate and major red flag when a site run by Aimia is deliberately quoting you and directing traffic to your site.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
No one said your site is owned by Aimia. lcohen999 was referring to the site: Loyalty Matters, operated by Aimia. It's just that your site can't survive without revenue so forgive some of us for being somewhat skeptical when you said you aren't being paid. It is unclear how your site generates revenue. Also, here are the screenshots I took from your site:

I count at least 3 different Aeroplan related advertisements on one single page. Presumably, if your site has Aeroplan ads, among others, then it would be best that you put up a disclosure explaining the nature of the commercial relationships even if Aimia does not pay you directly.

Flyertalk tends to be frequented by frequent travellers who are more likely to be professionals from all walks of life. And for many of us, if we don't disclose potential conflict of interest, it's either illegal, unethical or a violation of the professional code we adhere to. In all cases, a potentially serious faux pas to make - not saying that's your case, just trying to make you understand why many people here are drilling on this point. So please don't mistake us as trying to nitpick on you. I can speak for myself - I am not. I always checked the sources when I read something, it's becoming a habit if not to assess the credibility of the author, then to see how the facts were obtained or how the claims were being supported. It's called due diligence. In this case, there is an immediate and major red flag when a site run by Aimia is deliberately quoting you and directing traffic to your site.
I don't select nor run those banner ads. BoardingArea (the aggregator that I write at) does. From my understanding, those banner ads are part of a group buy that's handled by the advertising team at BoardingArea, and generally there isn't a breakdown of what companies are in there other than the generic "travel" or "credit card" category. I don't even know even know if that's true, because I have no relationship to these ads other than the fact I know it's related to my content, and yes, I do earn revenue from that. . But it's a little hard to me to disclose that when I don't even know how, what, or when those banner ads run, especially when they aren't organized by me.

It's like saying I'm also getting compensated by BMO and RBC and TD and Scotiabank, because I've seen those banner ads run on my site. Your screenshot is actually the first time I've seen an Aimia ad on my site.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't select nor run those banner ads. BoardingArea (the aggregator that I write at) does. From my understanding, those banner ads are part of a group buy that's handled by the advertising team at BoardingArea, and generally there isn't a breakdown of what companies are in there other than the generic "travel" or "credit card" category. I don't even know even know if that's true, because I have no relationship to these ads other than the fact I know it's related to my content, and yes, I do earn revenue from that. . But it's a little hard to me to disclose that when I don't even know how, what, or when those banner ads run, especially when they aren't organized by me.

It's like saying I'm also getting compensated by BMO and RBC and TD and Scotiabank, because I've seen those banner ads run on my site. Your screenshot is actually the first time I've seen an Aimia ad on my site.
I understand what you are saying and have no doubt you are telling the truth. In such a case, you can write a general disclosure explaining your site receives ad revenue, which may include travel providers that you write about or seek to do business with. You can refer to some existing examples of general disclosures from other travel bloggers. The point is to disclose any conflict so that your readers can properly assess the reliability and impartiality of your opinion. Even just the perception of conflict needs to be managed. Just about everyone on FT knows travel bloggers seek to do business with the very same entities they write about, that's why these bloggers are sometimes being called with some rather unflattering expressions which I won't repeat here. So they have developed a habit of writing disclosures and give credits to where they obtain the information.

Try see it from the perspective of informed readers - someone posted that Loyalty Matters (run by Aimia) is directing people's attention to an article quoting your blog. Naturally, people are likely going to be drawn to your site after reading Loyalty Matters, thus upping your site traffic, as a result of what Aimia has done. Why would Aimia be deliberately pushing traffic to your site? That action on itself raises a question. As expected, because you have an opinion that is quite contrary to the general consensus in this thread. Then we go to your site, there is no disclosure of any kind. That's the first thing I look for when being re-directed to another site, especially one ran by the FFP itself (Loyalty Matters). The absence of the disclosure stopped me cold, I didn't read your blog. I deemed it too suspicious to worth my time. Again, I am speaking for myself. Rules surrounding ethics can get very complicated fast. I am glad you posted here to clarify the situation.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:03 pm

As in: "My site receives revenue from banner ads placed on the site by xxx, a service partner to xzy-board. Such banner ads may, from time to time, include those from companies about which this board writes, particularly as advertising algorithms seek to optimize ad placement to similar online content." etc etc

----

"I don't select nor run those banner ads. BoardingArea (the aggregator that I write at) does. From my understanding, those banner ads are part of a group buy that's handled by the advertising team at BoardingArea..."

This also seems in line with the apologists over in the Nashville-AC-didnt' show up thread. "Its' not me, its my partners" isn't really an excuse....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guava
As expected, because you have an opinion that is quite contrary to the general consensus in this thread.
For the record, I agree with Jeff's opinion in that article.

If AC were to run the same EYW contest as last year (i.e. same rules/prizes), I'd go get another million.

I can spend my miles.

Just be mindful of 2020.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:44 am

Not to be critical, but if you look at some of the other blogs hosted by BoardingArea, you'll see many of the more popular ones have disclaimers on them at the beginning of each post (eg, viewfromthewing or one mile at a time as examples).

We're not saying you're doing anything wrong, but it prevents accusations (for the most part) on your posts.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Not to be critical, but if you look at some of the other blogs hosted by BoardingArea, you'll see many of the more popular ones have disclaimers on them at the beginning of each post (eg, viewfromthewing or one mile at a time as examples).

We're not saying you're doing anything wrong, but it prevents accusations (for the most part) on your posts.

His blog has disclaimers - at the bottom. Is this what you mean?

Attached Images  
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by 24left
His blog has disclaimers - at the bottom. Is this what you mean?

Doh! Didn't scroll to the very bottom. Generally don't as usually it's usually full of related advertising which I really dislike. That said, most of the other big posters usually put those disclaimers at the very beginning. Not that he has to, but might as well be up front about it. Kinda like the small print or foot notes in the old days.

(my original comment still stands...should have mentioned the large possibility of a devaluation coming...)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
For the record, I agree with Jeff's opinion in that article.

If AC were to run the same EYW contest as last year (i.e. same rules/prizes), I'd go get another million.

I can spend my miles.

Just be mindful of 2020.
But you are *far* from the average

So as an SE with time to travel, you fall into the 1%'s 1%
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
But you are *far* from the average

So as an SE with time to travel, you fall into the 1%'s 1%
But I'd argue that someone who only collections a few tens of thousand per year has an even easier time.

I'm sitting just under 900k. I'm tempted to go get another million. It's MUCH harder for me to use that many in under 3 years than it would be for my dad, who has maybe 75k and a credit card, to continue collecting and use them all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.