Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Guava
Oh? You have a lot more trust in AC than some of us here, it seems. Even back in the early 2000s when AC and AE were one, annual `enhancements` have never taken a pause. Don`t believe me? Try dig up some antiquate threads and read them. If you do, you`d understand Ken and Dorian`s reactions.
Oh I've been around long enough to be very aware of all the "enhancements". I'm not saying the program will be better, I'm saying there is more than a remote possibility that it could become better. I agree AC's track record in this regard is less than stellar - but we will see.

Maybe from an accounting perspective, it ain`t so bad except we don`t live inside a big spreadsheet. The danger here is the question of customer loyalty and retention. Many SEs, arguably they are the bread and butter of AC, are now forced to find a new FFP in lieu of Aeroplan until such time AC actually comes up with their own FFP because any miles they accumulate in Aeroplan from now on runs the risk of not being recognized by AC in 3 years and they will essentially become Air Miles or worse, turns into dust overnight if Aimia goes under. If AC thinks they will all come back to the AC FFP in 3 years, I have a bridge to sell.
Agree. I think it will be very important for AC to clarify their intentions quickly - especially with regards to potentially stranded aeroplan miles.

And being accused of market manipulation with such a well timed announcement? Not bloody likely. If and when AC decides to buy AE at fire sale, expect some major lawsuits from AE shareholders.
I don't think AC will buy AE. If you re-read my post I said they could pay Aimia to operate the program that they AC would own - just as Aeroplan currently operates altitude for AC.

This argument actually counts heavily against AC. There was indeed a time Aimia was worth more than AC, which again underscored the why AC spun off Aeroplan in the first place. What makes you think AC won`t attempt to spin off its FFP again ŕ la Aeroplan? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...
They may indeed do that if they get in desperate financial straights. Didn't kill me last time they did it, wouldn't kill me if they did it again.

But their actions matter. If it is determined that AC`s move today is a form of market manipulation, hoping that AE will go under and thereby wiping out the said liabilities which could be indirectly linked to AC, there will be fireworks, just not the good ones. I have a feeling AE will not go down without a fight and if AE must die, it will likely want to drag AC down to hell with it, just a hunch.
I don't believe AE will go down. It will survive as a smaller, less profitable program that competes with Air Miles and whatever AC names its new program.

Something tells me the Canadian Courts will place the rights of millions of consumers above such contractual obligations.
We don't live in a populist nirvana. Something tells me the Canadian courts will uphold the law.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Which percentage of Aimia shares is currently held by AC?
Zero.

Originally Posted by PB53x11
Right. The points are a liability for AE. So if they transfer to New FFP, the liability becomes a liability for AC. Who presumably would want to be paid for taking on that liability. So unless I'm missing something, I'm with Fiordland - AE (Aimia) would have to write a cheque to AC.
You and Fiordland are correct. Can't see AE wanting to write a big cheque when they can give people toasters instead.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I wonder whether Aeroplan will start selling miles like AAdvantage and Alaska Mileage Plan to shore up another revenue stream in the near term ?

This is a near total disaster for TD Bank with their recent acquisition of the Aeroplan credit cards.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I wonder whether Aeroplan will start selling miles like AAdvantage and Alaska Mileage Plan to shore up another revenue stream in the near term ?

This is a near total disaster for TD Bank with their recent acquisition of the Aeroplan credit cards.
Haha...poor TD. First they got burned when CIBC maintained its toehold in the AE affiliated card game, now this.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Haha...poor TD. First they got burned when CIBC maintained its toehold in the AE affiliated card game, now this.
If they didn't see this coming they deserve it.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:37 pm

Any coincidence that these negotiations were mostly carried out during the CEO's sick leave?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:52 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dorian
If they didn't see this coming they deserve it.
That current 30,000 sign up bonus is going to go up to 50,000 as customers start to dump this card in mass in the next 12 months.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Couldn't happen to a more deserving group. Yea, yea, I know, innocent until proven guilty, but honestly I won't shed a tear if they get dinged by this, just as I won't if CIBC is dinged since it is also named in the link.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/russ...nada-1.4102132

Originally Posted by The Lev
I don't believe AE will go down. It will survive as a smaller, less profitable program that competes with Air Miles and whatever AC names its new program.
We don't live in a populist nirvana. Something tells me the Canadian courts will uphold the law.
I disagree with your optimistic view. Aimia is in bad financial shape now. This is going to be the death by a hundred slices. I give it a year, until 2018. My reading of its financials is that it just doesn't have the strength to see this through. I also expect that we will see a rush on redemptions much as one sees a rush on the bank that is failing. The difference here is that there is no other entity to prop up this company.

West Jet if it has any brains will capitalize on this negative PR event and the increasing consumer animosity towards AC. It should push forward its international expansion plans, build closer ties to another alliance, and improve its FF plan. One thing it could do with its international routes once they are operating would be to offer an introductory preferred status to those who switch over.

In respect to the courts, if the court believes that AC acted in an unfair manner with an intent to deceive its customers, different rules apply. At the very least, I anticipate that we will at some point see a class action case if AC doesn't proceed in a transparent, and fair manner.

So much of this now depends upon Air Canada doing the right thing, of behaving in a fair and honourable manner. Based upon the airline's current behavior with its despicable approach to IROPs, overbooking and IDB, I expect this to be mishandled with tens of thousands of angry vindictive people resulting.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
Perhaps a simple answer: this may be considered material info that they should disclose under securities law.
Termination of a material contract should indeed be disclosed. The question is, Aeroplan does not think this is final, based on their own press release although AC appears to think it is. Why disclose something that is supposedly still under negotiation knowing that such announcement could have very significant impact on the market as the share price of both companies showed after the announcement?

Originally Posted by D582
Tickets sold via GDS are generally settled through ARC/BSP monthly to the plating airline, not only after travel is completed. If the ticket includes travel on another airline, then yes, that other airline only receives payment when it submits the flown coupon. Tickets booked via Aeroplan are also likely settled to AC in a timely manner.
Thanks for this helpful insight. It appears my intuition was correct. AC will likely honor any AE tickets issued for AC metal in the event of a AE shutdown given that they were issued under 014 ticket stocks, therefore, likely paid/settled and to avoid any reputation damage. But any award tickets for travel on *A carriers may be much less secure given that they are only paid when they submit the flown coupons. If AC refuses to assume the liability of these *A redemption issued by AE, the holders of such award could still risk being stranded in the event of a sudden shut down of Aimia.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
AIMIA issued the release late last night before AC's announcement. This followed its board meeting yesterday. Though it was clear that AC was also timing its announcement to coincide with this morning's AIMIA annual shareholders meeting. Execs at AIMIA felt they should advise shareholders once the impasse over rennegotiations was clear. Trading was halted for an hour after the TSX opened due to a backlog of overnight selling of AIMIA shares.
Thanks for this information, this is very helpful. Now things are making more sense.

AIMIA also announced the resignation/retirement of CEO Rupert Duchesne who oversaw the conversion of Aeroplan as an AC division to its seperate corporate status. Rupert joined AC under the aegis of Calin when he ran the team that managed the merger of CP with AC, then became VP of Aeroplan until the ACE spin-off. Only one senior manager from the AC/AE days appears to be at AIMIA now, Liz Graham.
Yes, I remember about Mr. Duchesne, seems like long time ago. I met him in Toronto once, very diplomatic man.

Shortly after Calin became AC president, the management of the elite program was transferred back to AC from AE and we've seen the evolution to Altitude over the years. At the same time, AE increasingly identified itself less as AC's FF program and more as an up-scale Air Miles shopping loyalty program. (AIMIA claims AE has 5 million members with an average household income of $100K. Air Miles has 10 million members but an average hh income of about half that.) AC used to be AE's biggest customer for miles, but changes in RDM accumulation has moved it well behind the three credit/charge card issuers.
The highlight part is mine. I wonder, if this change is what soured the AC-AE partnership. There are likely other reasons we will never know.

It will be interesting to see what credit card partner(s) the new AC program teams up with given both the TD and CIBC contracts with AE run to 2024 (not sure about the Amex contract).
I think the banks could have very strong incentive to take both AC and AE to Court if these changes materially alter the nature of their contract prior to the expiry and damage their businesses. TD essentially spent the last 3 years building their retail operations around Aeroplan, neglecting their own Rewards program prior to Aeroplan. Given how critical loyalty and customer satisfaction are to the Canadian banks, a big chunk of their bonus structure from CEO down to tellers are based off such criteria - any sharp drop in the volume of account sales / transactions will for sure prompt very strong reactions from TD. We'll see about that.

AIMIA still has a strong balance sheet and can survive the immediate downturn. Bankruptcy isn't imminent even with the plunge in the share price. it has far more unincumbered cash/investments on hand than today's market value. It also runs loyalty programs in the UK and several other countries, so has diversified its activities well beyond AE knowing this day might come. And even if it did go under, as noted by others, any issued award tickets would have long been paid for.
Not for the flight segments on *A partners, as the informative post by D582 explained. If the ticket involves any airline other than Air Canada, the risk that a passenger may be denied boarding is not trivial. In fact, judging from past experiences of similar situations, those *A carriers will likely not honor F/J award tickets issued by a defunct TA which they can't submit for payment.

To answer this question, AE needs to be put under the appropriate stress testing. The information you posted, while interesting, does not help us determine AE's capacity to withstand the sudden shock. Liquidity crunch can overwhelm a company that otherwise has a healthy balance sheet. Commercial credit lines can be terminated very quickly if the lenders believe your business can no longer afford them. Access to capital markets will be very difficult for Aimia from now on because there will be questions about its status as a going concern and the fact its stock price plunged by 63% in one day won't help. Unless AE can stabilize quickly, things will likely go from bad to worse. Without the specifics, I am not sure how these supposed diversification overseas help given that its core business in Canada has pretty much been obliterated, it's like saying Saudi Arabia is diversifying into solar energy knowing that one day oil wells will become dry, it won't help them much one way or the other.

The bottom line is there are still many things we don't know. How will the consumers react? Will there be a stampede to redeem AE miles? Will they divert their purchases away from accumulating AE miles? Will people stop crediting their flights to Aeroplan? Will AE attempt to filter out *A award inventory like United used to do in order to conserve cash flows? Will AE try to pull off any "cost saving measures" like Air Miles tried? Now that the information is public, how will the other stakeholders such as the big banks react? Will the government step in to prevent any disorderly shutdown of Aimia in case it runs into trouble?

Judging from the reactions of this thread, even the die hard AC apologists, usually SEs with a lot at stake in their Aeroplan accounts, are having some very serious second thoughts. I think a potential forum name change is the last thing we need to be concerned with at this time.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Looks like everything is working as usual - It's after 9PM in Vancouver and can't log into the Aeroplan site.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by tracon
Any coincidence that these negotiations were mostly carried out during the CEO's sick leave?
Of course there is a link. It was announced just a few days ago that the CEO would not come back...
Old May 11, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 24left

As far as carrier imposed surcharges go, I was told that they’ve certainly heard the feedback from members about general frustrations with these fees on award tickets, and will take that into account when designing the program.
Given that it was AC that mandated those surcharges (according to AE), that is a snort-worthy statement.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Too bad I don't need a toaster. Oh well, I don't have many miles when they disappear.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm not sure that Air Canada would be smiling if Amex Canada added another *A carrier to its MR points transfer partners. If this happens, please let it be KrisFlyer!

Even a more modest adjustment, such as 1:1 transfer ratio from MR points to Delta Skymiles would be a competitive adjustment that could put some pressure on AC.
I would love it if AMEX had the same amount of carriers they seem to in the US to move MR to.

Korean Air / Delta would work well for me.

Singapore Air/ Asiana for *A would be great, or even Air China...
Old May 11, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by robsaw
Given that it was AC that mandated those surcharges (according to AE), that is a snort-worthy statement.
+1

I remain suspect of the new and improved AC FF program.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Forget about your miles for a minute. This is a much bigger story of corporate greed and conflict of interest.

Yes, this is a big kick in the face to Air Canada's former partner AIMIA. Unwarranted, unnecessary and cruel.

Aeroplan saved ACs bacon some years ago with a big cash injection when AC was facing bankruptcy. Afterall Aimia and Aeroplan were children of Air Canada.

Now they kick their child in the face purely over greed for more money. Some gratitude!!

When 1 senior executive left Aeroplan to go to AC in a senior position, he took with him all the corporate insider intelligence and this has alone led to AC repatriating the program. Conflict of interest I would say!!!

Surely this is a major breach of corporate insider capital which could be prosecuted.
Interesting... but not sure I am following you. Any intelligence Aeroplan had, AC had, no?

Who is that exec who went back to AC?

We all complained about the "children" behaviour. For me, dealing with Aeroplan was always worst than dealing with AC. For example, if I make a mistake on an AC booking and realized it within 24 hours, I can cancel. Not so with AE.

Most of frequent flyers also have cases of missing miles never solved. This did not happen when AE was incorporated within AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.