Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by expert7700
Total BS.

AC knows it took blood, sweat, and tears to earn the miles. Mostly via 100+ flights a year on their airline.

They can't for a minute say that Aeroplan ran in a bubble. Aeroplan colluded with Air Canada in determining tiers, flight redemption price, and most importantly benefits like a 100% bonus for Super Elite. Earning rates are clearly advertised when making an airfare purchase on aircanada.ca/com. More miles is a compelling advertised benefit between tango/flex/PE/business. Aeroplan was just an accounting trick.

Step 1, Hide all liabilites from the books.
Step 2, Allow liability of "3rd party" to grow un-checked
Step 3 Watch 3rd party frantically try to stay in business by cutting call center hours and raising change fees.
Step 4 Pull the plug and start over with an empty balance sheet

To not transfer or not transfering 1:1 to the new program is an insult. The fact that they are OK with orphaning everyone's life-to-date miles savings is an insult. How is it even legal for miles earned on flights even ONE DAY BEFORE the change to not be useable on *A at all, or not be redeemable the very next day on AC's new structure.

Since it is going to be BAD, I for one am glad that AC didn't string us along for 3 years. Had they said transferable to new program there would be 3yrs worth of people living in denial... Believing that their hard earned miles would be just as valuable and redeemable for the exact same flights the day after the transition. Instead they gave us the bad news today. And all FTers have 3 full years to talk with our wallets and NOT BOOK ANY PAID AC FLIGHTS.

Of course it's also likely that AC's new structure will be laughable..... Who's ready to spend 190,000 miles on a nonstop from YYZ-SFO?

by not xfering the points, AC is hinting that 100k aeroplan points is nowhere near as valuable as 100k of their new AC points (which I'll refer to as IOU points). By saying AC doesn't want to touch the points from Aeroplan in the new program I think it means "trust us, you will be much, much, happier redeeming for aeroplan desks, wall clocks/etc from the closed aeroplan office buildings."
CBC just reported AC has stated that they will honour existing AE points.

Note: CBC seems to have reversed itself on 2 pm news, stating that AE milescwill stay with AE (radio). So, if Aimia goes under, the points go.....

Last edited by Bartolo; May 11, 2017 at 12:15 pm Reason: Update
Old May 11, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Plumber
The issue is that there is x Billion points sitting out there waiting to be redeemed. Many, many people will now expedite those redemptions to get maximum value (ie before AP is forced into only a market -fare based redemption system. I believe it will now be more difficult to redeem over the next 3 years.
Absolutely.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:49 am

I think Aeroplan can do a huge devaluation very soon to reduce their liability

and AMEX can reduce their transfer rate to "new" programe to reduce their liability too
Old May 11, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Link please.
--
13F
Old May 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Time to look for alternative credit cards! My TD Aeroplan card has been pretty awesome, but as others have mentioned, why would I continue accumulating non-status miles now. Need to find better credit card choices now!
Old May 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Link please.
--
13F
On the 11 am est news (radio) so no link.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Not surprising in the least and why people have been saying FOR AGES (as long as I have been a member here at least) to burn the points as fast as you could churn them. Thank you AE for the many LH F and BR J flights, was a blast!
^^^^^^^^^

Exactly.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
For a dime on the dollar?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The original statement says this. Up until 2020 nothing changes (yeah, technically right but not really.)

"During this period, Aeroplan members can continue to earn and redeem miles in accordance with the Aeroplan program"

After 2020

"Air Canada intends to continue to offer Aimia redemption seats for Aeroplan members after June 2020, with pricing competitive with other third-party rewards programs. "

That implies changes in redemption chart and, worse, no Star Alliance flights.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Does that mean:

1) They will still allow AE points to be used for flight redemption on Air Canada; or

2) They will allow AE points to be transferred to the new AC Loyalty account on June 30, 2020?

If it is #1 , then they have already stated that in the press release; if it is #2 , then there needs to be an amendment to the press release stating such clarification.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Yeah, but likely on AC only, not *A, and probably for pennies on the dollar.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:07 am

I really think this is part of an eventual takeover by AC of AP. AIM stock is down almost 60%, AC has topped $16.25. Both parties will be motivated to do a deal by next year. AIM in particular can't wait until 2019 because of the diminishing accumulation we're likely to see. And for the same reason, AC will be motivated to do a deal because it's simply less messy.

AC will not let this hang out in 2019, a federal election year. An all-stock takeover is my bet, spinning off the non-aeroplan parts of AIM's business, possibly to a new management group.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
All the issues we were having with flight redemptions in the past year has been paving the way nicely for this breakup: Air China blocked on Aeroplan, the IKK issues, Copa blocked, LX blocked, etc. Soon TK, BR and other non-YQ carriers might be blocked from redemption. Then mysteriously Fixed Mileage inventory disappears, leaving only Priority Rewards and Market Fare, which is meant to get FFs used to the new structure in 3 years time.

I still have an uncredited LH J flight that I have been fighting with AE for three months. I guess I'll credit that to UA MP instead.

In 2019, I'll start flying OW and stop flying revenue AC flights until the mess is sorted out in July. AC won't miss my spend, but OW sure will welcome it.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:14 am
Suspended

There are some options that some may use and most won't like:

1. You can continue to fly Air Canada and attribute the miles to another *A partner. Sure, none of the others are perfect or great, but at least for now, those airlines own them (and they answer the phone). There are many here who use UA MP, others are with A3 or SQ. To some, this might be a similar gamble as staying with Air Canada and earning on Aeroplan, but it is an option.

And yes, the downside is you won't have top tier status and if you're with UA, for eg., you might find yourself a very small fish in a very big pond.

This is an option for those who are TB and International flyers.

2. You can join a OW, ST airline, or a non-aligned like AS, and do what many here have done - earn elsewhere.

Again, it will not help if your goal is to hit 1MM or 2MM, or to have SE etc status when flying AC.

My Point: There are always options. Many of them may not be what we want but last I checked, no one asked any of us what we want and decisions have been made by BOTH Air Canada and Aeroplan over the last 3 years that have impacted all of us far more negatively than positively.

So, YMMV

Personal note:
Two years ago, a wise AC FTer posted more than once, suggesting "earn and burn". My gut said that while our miles were not bananas and would not "go bad", they would not be worth more tomorrow than today. Wow, was I right, I literally bought those awesome Asia 2 for 30K and poof, suddenly in the fall of 2015, they were going to be 80K.

Oh, and I burned one million miles. Slept well that night.

We face a far bigger challenge now as this change affects every single Aeroplan member, whether you just want to redeem for YYT-YVR or YUL-BKK.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mapleg
Yeah, but likely on AC only, not *A, and probably for pennies on the dollar.
Definitely not *A. This is clearly stated in the AC FAQ:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

and here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...questions.html

I would suggest that maybe we need a WIKI of our own on this forum as there already seems to be some confusion, but the facts are so limited, and the information is directly available on AC's site.

Originally Posted by Sebring
I really think this is part of an eventual takeover by AC of AP. AIM stock is down 50%, AC has topped $16. Both parties will be motivated to do a deal by next year. AIM in particular can't wait until 2019 because of the diminishing accumulation we're likely to see. And for the same reason, AC will be motivated to do a deal because it's simply less messy.

AC will not let this hang out in 2019, a federal election year. An all-stock takeover is my bet, spinning off the non-aeroplan parts of AIM's business, possibly to a new management group.
The more I think about this the more likely that scenario seems to me. If you assume that loyalty programs are exactly that, I can't imagine that they haven't thought far enough ahead and came to the conclusion that if they went through with this in the fashion they publicly claim they want to, they will be massively alienating an enormous chuck on FFers (who get a massive devaluation, and a massive reduction in places to redeem with the elimination of *A for AE points). At a time when WS is entering the long haul J market? I don't buy it. Something isn't kosher in Denmark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.