Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by ridefar
But they can't be redeemed on *A, and if redeemed at market fare, are worth half (?) of what they are now.
Who said they can't be used on *A? I'm guessing there would be way to many legal problems for AC if the changed the rules on Aeroplan redemption. The problem I see, is Aeroplan will go bankrupt before the change over date.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
1.3 million miles here, I was looking at the opportunity within the next couple of years to redeem a once-in-a-lifetime family RTW.

Quite worried that the rush to the exits will create issues.
Does anyone really think this is going to be good for AC loyalists? Given AC's history they are going to follow DL/UA/AA patterns AKA revenue based earning and cash/market fare awards.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I don't think it would be tolerated by market security... Announcing news which have a huge impact on stock market and then take advantage of it, is probably illegal.
Individuals ("insiders") who had information not publicly available using that information before it became public is a problem.

Once the market has the "same" information as the insiders, the insiders can do anything. (Exactly what is the same information is a question for a jury)
Old May 11, 2017, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Even assuming Aimia stays in business, I'd be worried about this statement in the press release: "Air Canada intends to continue to offer Aimia redemption seats for Aeroplan members after June 2020, with pricing competitive with other third-party rewards programs."

It sounds to me like an opening to further devalue one's points.
I would not assume Aeroplan even stays in business to the change over date.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Who said they can't be used on *A? I'm guessing there would be way to many legal problems for AC if the changed the rules on Aeroplan redemption. The problem I see, is Aeroplan will go bankrupt before the change over date.
From the CBC Article:
According to an explainer on the Air Canada website, Air Canada "expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption." After Air Canada's new loyalty program launches, however, Aeroplan points will not be eligible for rewards with Air Canada's Star Alliance partner airlines, which include United Airlines, Air China, Lufthansa, and others."

Apparently, AC does not see it as a problem, legal or otherwise.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont know why people are happy.

When has any of this ever worked in favour of the customer?
This is how much worse it's going to get:

Air Canada expects the net present value of the program repatriation over a 15-year period to exceed $2 billion.
FFPs are zero sum games. Whatever benefits the plan administrator, hurts you. Some of that $2B surplus is going to come from Aimia's profits. The rest, straight from our pockets.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by robsaw, CBC article
....however, Aeroplan points will not be eligible for rewards with Air Canada's Star Alliance partner airlines, which include United Airlines, Air China, Lufthansa, and others.".
you can't even redeem aeroplan on some star alliance partners now, so I guess no big loss right?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
From the CBC Article:
According to an explainer on the Air Canada website, Air Canada "expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption." After Air Canada's new loyalty program launches, however, Aeroplan points will not be eligible for rewards with Air Canada's Star Alliance partner airlines, which include United Airlines, Air China, Lufthansa, and others."

Apparently, AC does not see it as a problem, legal or otherwise.
Presumably, Aimia could attempt to negotiate a deal with these (and other) airlines as they see fit. But there'd be no more *A rules applying here obligating AC/AP to allow such redemptions.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:02 am

I will fly Business from now on

AIM -60%
AC +8%
Old May 11, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
On points transfer, from the FAQ:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my Aeroplan Miles into the new Air Canada program?

A: No. Aeroplan Miles earned up to June 2020 stay in the Aeroplan program and may be redeemed for Aeroplan Rewards. That said, Air Canada expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption. Star Alliance partner rewards will only be available through the new Air Canada program.

My issue is that there is simply no way that I won't end up stranding 1m+ points. I have 1.5m now, even if I burn all those in the next 2-3 years, I will earn another 1-2m in the next 3 years. Assuming flying patters remain the same, any SE is going to strand at least 3 or 4 hundred thousands points (the amount they will earn in 2019). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not to mention that without AC I would imagine AE has a moderate chance of flat out going bankrupt, rendering all points worthless.

Either AC really truly doesn't care at all about how this impacts AE/AC/Altitude members, it is a ploy to drive AE into a market value of $1 so they can be bought cheaply, or they just didn't think this through...
I think AC is missing a SIGNIFICANT explanation as what happens to points earned by ALTITUDE members currently and those qualifying right up to the transition date. It makes no sense to strand those miles in Aeroplan right up to the last second and then start afresh. There has to be something more??? Like maybe ALTITUDE members can still redeem AP points for the same value (whatever that may be) in the new program. In any case, the explanation is not simply murky it is absent.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I will fly Business from now on

AIM -60%
Hey it's off it's intraday low of 3.13
Old May 11, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Hey it's off it's intraday low of 3.13
Now would be a good time for some reassuring words from Aimia... you know, maybe tell us all about the brilliant plan they've been working on for months in anticipation of this event?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Just checked our account balances. They creeped up so between us we have 294,300.

Our next flight was J to PER in 8 months. Dates are a bit flexible (+/- 4 days on the way there, +7 days on the way back.) For us, Qantas was the winner. Just checked for AP reward, round trip to Sydney since I'm OK with Y on Qantas from SYD-PER. At first it looked like we could to it for all our points (plus surcharges and the transfer fee from one account to another) but then I realized that was J to Toronto and PE to Sydney. No, I'll spend 4X as much and happily get J and my exact dates.

Finally found the switch to turn off mixed cabin and there's nothing. Which is what I expected.

We're going to have a hard time emptying the accounts in 3 years.

Edited to add:

No problem using up the points! I just discovered I can get 3 nights at a Best Western in Quebec city for 128,500 points!

Yup, Aimia is eff-ed

Last edited by KathrynInCanada; May 11, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old May 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I literally just emptied out my Aeroplan account two days ago for a trip to Bali. I'm down to 18 Aeroplan miles, for the first time since joining the program. I've switched to an "earn and churn" kind of mentality over the past few years, and this makes me really glad I'm not sitting on millions of miles.

I'll be interested to see what happens... I was about to switch back to an Aeroplan card for personal purchases, but I'll need to re-visit my options.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And just a sampling of the media headlines.....you know, for those who like bright colours in the morning, in order:

Bloomberg
Financial Post
Global
CBC
CTV

Attached Images      

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.