Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC business class fare books in economy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba silver

Trying to purchase a ticket to Singapore from YVR on Air Canada in business class. It seems that all of the connecting flights ( within Asia) book into economy when I look it up on AC.com, yet when I look it up on outside sites they offer business class. Tried calling AC and was told that the flights must be sold out in business. Has anybody else noticed this scam ( or is it just a glitch?). I would rather not book on outside sites but want the airline to respect their own fare rules. The rules clearly say `valid for business class travel`, therefore I should legally be allowed to sit in business class if there is a business class cabin. What would the options be, should I purchase it anyway and just call the operating carrier and insist to be seated in business or is AC legally required to seat me in business as this may be just a glitch. If not, I`ll just give my money to another airline.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Trying to purchase a ticket to Singapore from YVR on Air Canada in business class. It seems that all of the connecting flights ( within Asia) book into economy when I look it up on AC.com, yet when I look it up on outside sites they offer business class. Tried calling AC and was told that the flights must be sold out in business. Has anybody else noticed this scam ( or is it just a glitch?). I would rather not book on outside sites but want the airline to respect their own fare rules. The rules clearly say `valid for business class travel`, therefore I should legally be allowed to sit in business class if there is a business class cabin. What would the options be, should I purchase it anyway and just call the operating carrier and insist to be seated in business or is AC legally required to seat me in business as this may be just a glitch. If not, I`ll just give my money to another airline.
First, AC is obligated to seat you in the cabin that it sells you for each flight. If the sales page makes clear that one of the flights is in Y, then why would you think they have an obligation to put you in business? They clearly said Y for that flight.

Having said that, SIN is a known issue. SQ doesn't play nice with AC at all, and AC/NH routinely have fare bucket issues on that route. Just have a TA book it for you, and you'll get J on all the segments.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
What would the options be, should I purchase it anyway and just call the operating carrier and insist to be seated in business or is AC legally required to seat me in business as this may be just a glitch. If not, I`ll just give my money to another airline.
You can insist all you want, but you will be tilting at windmills. If you buy a ticket with a segment in economy, you will be seated in economy for that segment.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I understand that one segment is sold as economy on their website but don't understand why as it's sold as a business class fare. I've seen an economy segment sold when J is full or it's all Y. There is no mention of a mixed cabin fare, except in small letters after a couple of clicks. No other airline in the world does this. If I look it up on Expedia the same fares is offered for J on all flights, on 014 stock since AC is the over-water carrier. Last year I bought and SQ ticket SIN-LAX-YUL ticket in J and the AC flights were in J at purchase on that SQ site. I don't know why it doesn't work them other way around or why AC offers better conditions when you book on outside sites.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:49 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
because of the inventory shown on the code shared flights stevendorechester. This is a known issue by many FT'ers and has been posted about before.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
because of the inventory shown on the code shared flights stevendorechester. This is a known issue by many FT'ers and has been posted about before.
I wasn't aware of that. I've booked code-shares before and have never had this issue. I always thought that travel agents and airlines had the same inventory. I'll probably just book it on Expedia or look at Finnair as I've just found an even better fare all in business ( even if the flight from YUL is a code-share). I'm just not crazy about dealing with online agencies. Too many hassles when there are schedule changes.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
First, AC is obligated to seat you in the cabin that it sells you for each flight. If the sales page makes clear that one of the flights is in Y, then why would you think they have an obligation to put you in business? They clearly said Y for that flight.

I believe the web site and/or itinerary says Business Class Y. Or at least it did. Now there may be a "mixed cabin" message.

I would go to matrix and check the same itinerary with the legs in question booked under their original flight number instead of the codeshare. I have seen that working at least with LH.

It seems only so many seats are allocated to the codeshare, while the operating airline still has seats available.

Mind you, I have seen sort of the reverse. I recently managed to grab a leg in business on SN much cheaper buy buying it as a TP codeshare instead of under the actual SN flight number.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Just had the same thing looking for PY. Not only was the AC reservation not PY, but it was a 0% AQM category on SQ. Have to watch them like a hawk. I expressed alarm about it and the TA was able to get PY on SQ for almost the same fare, not sure how but certainly not by just taking what the system spit out.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I wasn't aware of that. I've booked code-shares before and have never had this issue. I always thought that travel agents and airlines had the same inventory. I'll probably just book it on Expedia or look at Finnair as I've just found an even better fare all in business ( even if the flight from YUL is a code-share). I'm just not crazy about dealing with online agencies. Too many hassles when there are schedule changes.
Yes the Finnair/BA flights are approx. $1500 to $2500 less most days.
I experience this problem with AC when I fly to BKK or SIN. The worst part is that the OTA option in full business often prices out very close to the AC fare with the Y segment. It's part of the Air Canada value proposition (sic). The last time I called to ask if I could purchase the business class through AC, the agent said it was approx $1500 more expensive than with the OTA. AC doesn't care, so just go ahead and book with someone else, preferably with Finnair and their beautiful AB 350.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@ stevendorechester

First, thanks for starting this thread with a title that states the topic (and question)

As others have posted, this issue has been a around a long time. Transpacificflyer and I, among others, have posted examples of AC fares to SIN, where the AC over-water is in J, but the cnx from HKG on SQ or the cnx from NRT on NH, both have you sitting in Y. Some of these fares were $7,500. These were not only on the website, but when I called in about it, one AC res agent said "well, that is what SQ sells us".

So my options became much more clear when I found I could fly CX YYZ-HKG-SIN on a seamless cnx, in J all the way, four thousands less.

Similarly, I had been discussing the AY fare that is almost $4,000 LESS than AC and at least $1,500 less than CX. Sure, you need to BA to LHR then AY to HEL and onward to SIN. Well, not everyone is one of those "I have to be there yesterday" kind of people. (and for those who have status with a OW airline, there is certainly no loss with either the CX or AY option)

As noted above by others, I am quite sure a competent TA can book an AC J ticket with a J cnx. And we know from others here that SIN is not the only destination with a cnx where AC pricing for the partner connection is a little over the top (to be gracious).

just saying.....
Old May 8, 2017, 10:59 am

If one "needs" the AQD (AC prefix flight no. operated by a *A airline on a 014 ticket) and the credit card bonus points for booking at the AC web site, the choice is very restricted.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:58 am

The struggle is real for us living in SIN
Old May 8, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Clipper801
If one "needs" the AQD (AC prefix flight no. operated by a *A airline on a 014 ticket) and the credit card bonus points for booking at the AC web site, the choice is very restricted.
Noone needs the AQD, Aeroplan is not the only frequent flyer program in the world. There are plenty of others who are far more rewarding for paid premium travel (and you get to sit in J all the way )
Old May 8, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Noone needs the AQD, Aeroplan is not the only frequent flyer program in the world. There are plenty of others who are far more rewarding for paid premium travel (and you get to sit in J all the way )
I need the AQDs.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by Stranger
I need the AQDs.
My understanding is that now (as opposed to last year), you get AQDs on *A if the flight is part of an AC fare on an AC *014 ticket, even if not booked under the AC codeshare flight number.

That's what I did in February. AC booking engine wanted to put me in Y on their codeshare from HKG or NRT (I forget). B&M agent was able to issue same ticket with the same segment in J on the native flight number, for a mysterious $3 more, plus his ~$30 booking fee. Of course, could depend on the specifics of the fare rules, but when I've looked into it (which wasn't that time) even AC Z and P fares generally only prescribe that the transpac or transatlantic actually be on AC (or JV partners).

I got AQDs for the whole thing.

Good luck!

Last edited by montrealer; May 8, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.