Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How will Air Canada responding to WS entering Luxury market

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Air Canada responding to WS entering Luxury market

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
The move comes as WestJet is also moving ahead with a plan to launch a separate ultra-low cost brand that will start with 10 planes and offer a bare-bones service. Combined, the new avenues of thrift and luxury set the company up for a new era of growth, said chief executive Gregg Saretsky at WestJet's annual meeting Tuesday.

As reported by Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press
You have misinterpreted the comment and offered your interpretation as fact. The B787 is indeed more luxurious than the current B767 and B737 fleet. The B787 features are discussed at length in the AC B787 thread. The B787 does indeed offer a more luxurious experience in respect to the seats, the air system and larger overhead luggage bins and the other amenities onboard. If you want to nitpick a word to death, go for it, but you are truly trying to make this into something it is not.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
[QUOTE=After Burner;28279475]I think you'll find there are many people who would use the word "luxury" to describe a seat that looks like this ...QUOTE]

I would call it deceptive. All they did was take the comforter and arrange it such that it looks like a seat mattress. When I first saw this, I thought, yay, AC is finally doing something about its uncomfortable seats that are infused with the sweat, body drippings and dead skin of its previous occupants. No such luck. One must fly on another airline to receive a seat mattress or to be assured that the cleaning crew vacuumed the seat after the previous flight..
Old May 7, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Air Canada is in the luxury market? Did I miss an email or big announcement?
LOL
Old May 7, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You have misinterpreted the comment and offered your interpretation as fact. The B787 is indeed more luxurious than the current B767 and B737 fleet. The B787 features are discussed at length in the AC B787 thread. The B787 does indeed offer a more luxurious experience in respect to the seats, the air system and larger overhead luggage bins and the other amenities onboard. If you want to nitpick a word to death, go for it, but you are truly trying to make this into something it is not.
If you would take 2 minutes and go read the quotes or read reports on the meeting you would realize that this is not true, and that you are the one nitpicking on on a particular word and then 100% making up for some reason (not sure where the heck you got this) that is relates to the B787 being more luxury and not their product? Where did you pull this from?

The meeting very very VERY clearly said that they are going to start offering 3 distinct products (not planes) from thrift to luxury.

If you're going to nitpick please go and read the reporting first. And also if you're going to nitpick please please please don't make up random things because then you just look like you didn't bother to research anything.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I would call it deceptive. All they did was take the comforter and arrange it such that it looks like a seat mattress. When I first saw this, I thought, yay, AC is finally doing something about its uncomfortable seats that are infused with the sweat, body drippings and dead skin of its previous occupants. No such luck. One must fly on another airline to receive a seat mattress or to be assured that the cleaning crew vacuumed the seat after the previous flight..
If you want to have an argument with me then you'll need to pick a different subject. I totally agree with your colorful description of AC pods.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by moorw003
WS will not have a comparable J hard product on their 787s. We can be certain of that. Expect their cabin to have 30 J and look like the front bit of a United 787, and for it to be a lot cheaper than AC.

It'll be luxury in a sense, and attract a different sort of crowd at a different price point.
I think 30J plus Y+ would be too much for WS. They would be brand new in the premium market, no proper FF base, no alliance, small fleet etc

I expect 18J, 21-24Y+ and rest Y. That would put them around 320 total seats in the 789
Old May 7, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Fair enough! But the CEO in his interview did say luxury. Do you not think luxury = all pods have aisle access?
He is the CEO of Westjet. I don't know if his idea of luxury is the same as others.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I don;t relate AC with luxury, more like a comfort airline, with matrons taking care of me onboard and telling me off when I make a mistake.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
How is WS's IT system?
Same as AC's.
Yesterday WS sent out an e-mail about YYZ construction.
The family non status passenger with no trips booked got the e-mail first.
The status passenger with an upcoming trip got the e-mail 12 hours later.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So now that WS has said that they will enter the luxury market with their 787's and do lie-flats and 3 classes of service, is AC going to have to re-price their J product?
Luxury market?

Maybe AC will decide to follow WS into this new sector.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by After Burner
I think you'll find there are many people who would use the word "luxury" to describe a seat that looks like this ...

Compared to what? This is Westjet we're talking about. And, ACs business compares well to any other business class- especially any American airline.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by YVR72
Compared to what? This is Westjet we're talking about. And, ACs business compares well to any other business class- especially any American airline.
Take a look at Delta's new Business.

And economy for that matter. They still have hot towels, amenity kits, menus in Y
Old May 7, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YVR72
My point was about what "many people" would consider to be "luxury." It wouldn't take much to impress a typical WestJet "guest." Such a person would look at that pod picture and think it's over-the-top luxury.

Personally, luxury is the last word I would associate with the experience of spending hours in an AC pod.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Fair enough! But the CEO in his interview did say luxury. Do you not think luxury = all pods have aisle access?
BA 787's have 8 across lie flats in J class. maybe thats what WJ has in mind.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
If that was the case I don't think they would have announced lie-flats on a 787.... I think you might see WS moving into a new market here and if AC ignored it, it could be the 2nd time that AC has underestimated WS...........
Until Westjet fixes their FF program, join 1 world and opens their own lounges, it will be hard to develop a Lux market. They will not only be fighting AC on these international routes, but the national airline on the other side. If they truly want to develop a Lux/high rev pax mkt, they are going to have to increase their operating costs by 10's of millions. This is not really their business plan. Also, the last time I flow Westjet, the check in girl did call their PY seat, business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.