Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Earn Your Wings (EYW) ecological consequences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) ecological consequences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by expert7700
... our letter would be a bit more like.......
I will sign it
leoo likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by skybluesea
fyi...
It's a bit long, I would trim it and use bullet points for some of the citations if you haven't already sent it. Anyway, as someone who's mainly a long-time lurker of this forum, I applaud your efforts. This year I will be carbon offsetting all my personal travel for the first time. Hope my employer follows suit on the business travel.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It has been brought to our attention that one (1) jealous customer who has not participated or earned a prize has written a letter protesting Earn Your Wings.
Unfortunately, you have already lost your entire argument by making a provably false statement in your very first sentence.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Can we just close this thread? One person keeping it going and its least relevant now of all times.
leoo and YYC3722 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Can we just close this thread? One person keeping it going and its least relevant now of all times.
Well at least until everyone is back in the air complaining about AC's deflated seats or some such

OP started this thread May 1 2017. It's almost 3 years later and it's a bee in someone's bonnet. No problem with that. But seriously, singling out EYW versus all the flying done for whatever reasons we do it, is not productive. IMHO. Even if AC does not renew the EYW contest, people will still fly. The current world crisis has stopped most flying for now. When it's over, many people will fly again. I suppose at that point, someone will start a thread on AC FT debating which type of flying is acceptable, and which is not because it harms the environment. AC will be happy to have people paying to fly with them again. AC FT will happily accept more "enthusiastic discussions".
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Perhaps if none of us ever replies to this thread ever again, and the OP becomes the only poster keeping it alive, maybe it will disappear...
leoo likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
fyi...
Why did you practically sue AC over EYW? I am so confused right now...

You legit have high status and are complaining about people flying a lot?? so confused
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
our letter would be a bit more like:
I'd sign on to something like that, because I have no interest in tilting at windmills.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'd sign on to something like that, because I have no interest in tilting at windmills.
I have more interest in hydroelectricity! But in all seriousness, what is the impact of 100 people at most flying crazy segment runs for EYW? Everyone else is just continuing usual flying patterns!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by codfather
I have more interest in hydroelectricity! But in all seriousness, what is the impact of 100 people at most flying crazy segment runs for EYW? Everyone else is just continuing usual flying patterns!
It's next to nothing - I did some math upthread to point out what a waste of time it is to complain about this pittance.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:25 pm

It's next to nothing - I did some math upthread to point out what a waste of time it is to complain about this pittance.
I have seen the lengthy posts, Adam! They were far from informative, and I found them to be of little use!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
Rushfan1 likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Never saw this thread before.. and I want to applaud skybluesea... I don't think you'll get anywhere, but I kind of agree. In principal, EYW does seem like waste of resources.
If main stream car companies encouraged wasting tons of gas driving unnecessarily for some in house points program, it would certainly be widely criticized. Airlines seem to have insulated from the main stream these completely frivolous flights.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:40 pm

fyi...
I'm sure the finance minister will be very interested in one corporation's sales incentive that contributes a tiny fraction of a percentage point of its emissions

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Never saw this thread before.. and I want to applaud skybluesea... I don't think you'll get anywhere, but I kind of agree. In principal, EYW does seem like waste of resources.
If main stream car companies encouraged wasting tons of gas driving unnecessarily for some in house points program, it would certainly be widely criticized. Airlines seem to have insulated from the main stream these completely frivolous flights.
That's not all the parallel. EYW is a sales program. How do you feel about Toyota Red Tag Days or Ford's Employee Pricing Event, which are encouraging customers to increase their purchases of new cars? Or about Esso or Shell doing a promo on gasoline sales? Or what about the Gap having a Boxing Day sale? What about when a grocery store offers discounted pricing if you buy at least a certain quantity of an item? Every sales promotion encourages people to consume more of the product, whether that's airline tickets, clothing, pudding, cars, etc.

All of those activities create increased emissions. In AC's case, the emissions associated with a small number of incremental sales on flights that are already running are tiny, and are likely a small fraction of the incremental emissions caused by big airfare sales on Boxing Day, Black Friday, etc. Is it any more frivolous for someone to take a trip because they found a good sale fare on Boxing Day than it is for someone to do some extra flights because of EYW?

It's completely insignificant.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I'm sure the finance minister will be very interested in one corporation's sales incentive that contributes a tiny fraction of a percentage point of its emissions

That's not all the parallel. EYW is a sales program. How do you feel about Toyota Red Tag Days or Ford's Employee Pricing Event, which are encouraging customers to increase their purchases of new cars? Or about Esso or Shell doing a promo on gasoline sales? Or what about the Gap having a Boxing Day sale? What about when a grocery store offers discounted pricing if you buy at least a certain quantity of an item? Every sales promotion encourages people to consume more of the product, whether that's airline tickets, clothing, pudding, cars, etc.

All of those activities create increased emissions. In AC's case, the emissions associated with a small number of incremental sales on flights that are already running are tiny, and are likely a small fraction of the incremental emissions caused by big airfare sales on Boxing Day, Black Friday, etc. Is it any more frivolous for someone to take a trip because they found a good sale fare on Boxing Day than it is for someone to do some extra flights because of EYW?

It's completely insignificant.
I'll take that note because in the end I'm sure those same flights would run with or without the EYW as you say, but for the sake of argument its not at all like the analogies you provided. When there's a promo on gas, I don't buy extra so I can go on an uneccessary drive to win a gas guzzling competition, only to end up with super octane status. It may be fun, but it definitely is consuming to consume. Hence, I respect the argument of the thread. Plus I'll never get to do an eyw so easy to criticize from afar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.