Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Options to EU - Rouge "premium" 767 or AC "Premium Economy" 787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options to EU - Rouge "premium" 767 or AC "Premium Economy" 787

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The earning of points are the same.
Yes and no...

True for the AC portion, but the LH/LX portion only earns 50% miles, so total points earned will vary considerably.

Earnings would be roughly as follows:
YYZ-DUB: 3,273 x 1.25 = 4091
DUB-FRA: 675 x 0.5 = 338
Total: 4428

YYZ-ZRH: 4034 x 1.25 = 5043
ZRH-FRA: 125
Total: 5168
Old May 4, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I've done a series of ACr flight in the last few months. All in Premium/front cabin. I would say that on all of my flights the service was not as good as the previuos year when I did my first Rouge flight.

On each flight the SD was assigned to the front cabin. Had the same person a couple of times. They were all lovely, friendly, etc. However, there were significant periods of time when they disappeared. Not sure where. Cockpit?

I noticed a uniform from the flight deck talking it up with the FA in the galley. I apologized for entering. They were very unconcerned and told me to feel free to use the washroom. I was under the impression a pax couldn't be in the galley when someone from the flight deck is there. Have certainly been asked to leave in the past in similar circumstances.

I cleared my own tray and brought it to the galley. No passes thru with water. Food was pretty bad. Learned the hard way and started bringing my own.

I've never flown PE mainline so can't comment on how it would be. But, I've sure read lots about the banana bread AC calls breakfast. I can confirm that I got 150% miles for each flight on a revenue tx.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
AC Rouge Premium is 150% in some routes, NA possibly. To Europe it's 125%.

I've bumped into a pilot coming or going into the washroom before
Old May 4, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by jc94

I believe you are correct on mileage. My flights were transborder. The pilot I ran into was chatting in the galley. I was headed to the washroom, after dealing with my tray ☺️.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
So cool. This thread has cracked the top ten of trending threads right now.

So sad. It's about Rouge Premium vs Mainline PE.

Let's start an AC thread just to crack the top ten. Possible topics can include:

a) Seeing as how UA, AA and now DL have both had fun times with passengers being kicked off (right or wrong or both, that's another topic altogether), what are now the odds that AC will prove its status as the top NA airline (or maybe that was five years ago, I can never remember) will kick three families, a comfort pig and its no-longer-comforted owner, a member of the Tango once-a-year-to-visit-grandma crowd and DYKWIA J crowd at once while the GAs sing a stirring rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone"?;

b) The OPM passenger vs. IMYDM (it's my darn money) passenger: who is worth more to AC and who is more self-entitled;

c) Start a petition for Air Canada and WestJet and Porter to combine as one super-duper airline so that we can stop comparing and contrasting and just all-around stop wasting pages and pages of precious FT thread space;

I've run out of time so must beg off giving you all access to this fertile and surprisingly not inebriated imagination. I feel certain that many of you will help me in my quest to see an AC thread hit the top spot of trending threads. For now, farewell.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
OP,
for my two cents, 787 every day with cleaner moist air via better climate control, and for now anyway, bit cleaner cabin.

have a great trip.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I noticed a uniform from the flight deck talking it up with the FA in the galley. I apologized for entering. They were very unconcerned and told me to feel free to use the washroom. I was under the impression a pax couldn't be in the galley when someone from the flight deck is there. Have certainly been asked to leave in the past in similar circumstances.
As far as I know, you can't be in the galley when the flight deck door is open (i.e. when they're coming or going), but I've been summoned to the galley for a chat with the captain in the past, so I'm pretty sure it's fine to be there with them.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by jc94

All Rouge PY flights are 1.25. DOM(most US) Rouge flights are 1.5 because they are J, not PY.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: *G
I took AC Premium Economy 787 CPH/YYZ and AC Premium Rouge 767 YYZ/SXM last month.

787 PY seat is very comfortable and IFE is the newest.
767 P Rouge seat is wider then 787 PY. IFE is by iPad. It's difficult to watch films during meal service.

787 PY has 2 lavatories for only PY passengers (21 seats). there is no curtain between PY and Y, but Y passengers went to lavatories in Y area.
767 P Rouge has only one lavatory.

787 PY has a middle seat.
767 P Rouge doesn't have a middle seat.
Reclining are almost same.

Meals are almost same, however, wines are different.
787 PY wines are same as Y(mini bottle), served by small glasses(not plastic).
once meal served, crews went to serve meals in Y class. They didn't come back for a long time.
No another drink service opportunities during meal. (in my case, crews gave me 2 wine bottles in advance!)

767 P Rouge wines are served from a full bottle, large glass.
Crews served only for P Rouge passengers.
Another drink serving, or back meal tray very quick.

If I have to choose one, I take P Rouge even old 767.

* Try to avoid PY A330. Old seat, old IFE(iPad in Rouge is better), far away to lavatories.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
All Rouge PY flights are 1.25. DOM(most US) Rouge flights are 1.5 because they are J, not PY.
Is it true for a flight purchased as a part of ACV vacation package too?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's been very helpful.

My destination is Stuttgart, Germany. After looking at other options, I ended up preferring direct flights, so my itinerary is now:

Departing: YYZ-ZRH on AC 878 Premium Economy on a 787-8
Return: FRA-YYZ on AC 873 Premium Economy on a 777-300ER

No rouge at all, but my AQM/AQD will be better, and I'm really hoping to get enough for E35 status.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by daiseiko

767 P Rouge wines are served from a full bottle, large glass.
Crews served only for P Rouge passengers.
Another drink serving, or back meal tray very quick.
This is *only* on North America Rouge flights.

When you get the 767 on trans-Atlantic, you'll get the same mini-bottles as the rest of the cabin. I take YYZ/YUL - ATH several times a year.

Regarding the choices between a mainline PY and a Rouge option going to Europe, my main concern is always point accrual. Staying on AC metal will always get more given popping over to Lufthansa usually results in only 50% points, even on a PY ticket.

Rouge overseas will only net you a max of 125%. The 150% is for NA markets where they've tried to bring it to service levels equivalent (sort of) to mainline business.

As for service difference - in December I did the YYZ-DEL in J on the way there and PY the way back.

I completely disagree with the statement that front cabin service on Rouge (trans-Atlantic Rouge, keep in mind) is in any way superior to mainline PY. I'd say they're about the same. The only bonus to Premium Rouge is the 2x2x2 as opposed to 2x3x2. But PY will have more leg room.

That said, it can be very hit and miss. Last summer in Sept when I was heading home from Thessaloniki I took some photos of the Rouge cabin, etc, and FA asked if I posted on FT. I said yeah, and he figured out who I was. I had great service that flight, haha.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Is it true for a flight purchased as a part of ACV vacation package too?
I don't know, because I have never booked on ACV.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daiseiko
787 PY has 2 lavatories for only PY passengers (21 seats). there is no curtain between PY and Y, but Y passengers went to lavatories in Y area.
This is not correct on the 788 (you didn't specify which, and I'm not sure on the 789).

On the 788, the AC side is for PY, but the HK side is for J. The curtains, when closed, make this very clear.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I would do AC Premium Economy. There is something about Rouge that just is off putting to me.

This is kind of like saying, should I go to the Airport in a nice, new, shiny bus? Or should I go to the Airport in a 1997 Cadillac?

I'd be really careful with Rouge, when things go wrong calling that number and the hold times are incredible. Then every 15 seconds a Quebec man comes on and shouts RRRRRRRRRRRROOOUGE!!!!!!! in your ear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.