Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible AC delays due SFO Runway Construction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible AC delays due SFO Runway Construction

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE
Looks like it's been a pretty rough first week for flights from YYC/YVR/YEG to SFO. The morning AC YYC-SFO and the daily YEG-SFO flights have been cancelled 4 days in a row (cancelled each morning, so not a lot of advance notice). A few YVR-SFO cancellations last weekend, and a bunch of significant delays on the remaining routes. Not unexpected, but a very rough week for flights from Western Canada to SFO.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Flight IAD to SFO was delayed 3 hours Monday - end of day was likely a factor. But SFO to YYZ on Wednesday mid morning arrived in Toronto early. So seems like roll of the dice ...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The evening SFO-YYC is J0 Y0 through the 27th.

They just seem to be refusing to sell it at all. I must assume it's related to the runway closure.

I checked the past week, and the one day it wasn't cancelled, it was delayed 3 hours.
gcashin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC's travel advisory for SFO only extended till Sep 10. Anyone know why it wouldn't be for the full construction period?
@capedreamer

I was wondering the same thing. AC was posting travel waivers that only included a few days at a time.

I guess they realized if SFO's own website and news release says until Sept 26, maybe AC should change their notice.

Well.......

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...struction.html

Although, if the construction is until Sept 26, not sure someone would want to do this

"If you are scheduled to travel during the affected period, you may contact Air Canada Reservations to change your flight free of charge, to another date between now and September 26, 2019, subject to availability in the cabin you originally purchased. Otherwise, any fare difference will apply."

Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K
AC seems very confused. Would explain why every Concierge agent gave me a different answer about whether and how I could change my ticket.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Major passenger pain at San Francisco due to closure of 28L

FlightGlobal - Sept 11, 2019

QUOTES:

"More than 1,100 flights have been delayed or cancelled at San Francisco International airport since the airport closed its busiest and second-longest runway, 28L, to construct a new base layer below the runway surface.

The closure, which began on 7 September and is due to last until 27 September, has frustrated thousands of travelers and caused chaos at one of the busiest airports on the West Coast.

.....During the closure in July 2017, pilots of an Air Canada flight arriving from Toronto at night narrowly averted disaster when they mistook a taxiway to the right of the active runway 28R for the runway itself.

Four fully occupied long-haul aircraft were holding short on the taxiway as Air Canada 759 approached from the southeast. With seconds to spare, the Air Canada crew executed a missed approach, passing less than 20ft over the parked aircraft. The aircraft landed without incident on 28R on its second approach."

Full article
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...losure-460800/
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Major passenger pain at San Francisco due to closure of 28L

.....During the closure in July 2017, pilots of an Air Canada flight arriving from Toronto at night narrowly averted disaster when they mistook a taxiway to the right of the active runway 28R for the runway itself.

Four fully occupied long-haul aircraft were holding short on the taxiway as Air Canada 759 approached from the southeast. With seconds to spare, the Air Canada crew executed a missed approach, passing less than 20ft over the parked aircraft. The aircraft landed without incident on 28R on its second approach."

..../
This has been recalled on the United forum. See post #240 in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...pected-16.html
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
AC 560, the YVR SFO flight that leaves around 6am and it's UA counterpart seem to be operating normally thus far, so hopefully those who need to travel to or through SFO can at least use the travel waiver to get on an earlier flight before the delays stack up.

I have a connection through SFO on 9/20 but it looks like the travel waiver was too late for me as the only other option on AC that would work is no longer bookable (Y0). Not much left to do now besides hope for the best.
Been delayed twice on Air Canada's first YVR-SFO flight for over 2 hours, which UA's YVR-SFO left on time. sigh.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Runway's will be fully operational by 9:00pm (21:00) tomorrow, 9/19/19, a week early.
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...y-14449291.php
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:38 pm

I wonder when the SFO-YYC flight I want will stop being J0 Y0
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

They've unzeroed SFO-YYC from today through next Friday, so I'm now on it next Friday
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.