Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible AC delays due SFO Runway Construction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible AC delays due SFO Runway Construction

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jc94
I was taking a plane a while ago and the guy in front of me was saying how it's a great plane thats never late because it sits in a hanger all night.

It left late.
60% of the time, it works every time.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
60% of the time, it works every time.
And 20% of the time it's only 14 mins late
Old May 25, 2017, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
well so far, my 3 flights from SFO were on normal 15 min delays

Last edited by tcook052; May 25, 2017 at 12:20 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, good thing I titled the thread "April to June".

Attached Images  
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I'm confused. I thought any itinerary impacted by a travel advisory (with the red exclamation mark) is eligible for online rebooking?

But when I try to, I get the below message:

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I'm confused. I thought any itinerary impacted by a travel advisory (with the red exclamation mark) is eligible for online rebooking?

But when I try to, I get the below message:

Hmmm, I wonder if it's related to the red banner at the top of the site indicating "scheduled maintenance" now.

Call AC and ask why you could not use the online tool or why it rejected your itinerary
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by 24left
Hmmm, I wonder if it's related to the red banner at the top of the site indicating "scheduled maintenance" now.

Call AC and ask why you could not use the online tool or why it rejected your itinerary
I had the same issue on my outbound last week (which was also affected by the travel advisory for SFO). I didn't care enough to care AC (and the flight ended up being basically on time). But now I'm quite curious about what the rule is supposed to be.

EDIT: Just called AC to clarify, and the explanation is that this is "not a hard alert". I'm still eligible for a free change by phone, but can't do it online. I don't really understand the rationale behind that, but it's what I was told.

Last edited by capedreamer; Jun 1, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I had the same issue on my outbound last week (which was also affected by the travel advisory for SFO). I didn't care enough to care AC (and the flight ended up being basically on time). But now I'm quite curious about what the rule is supposed to be.

No idea, but I spent about 45 minutes doing some nice circles over the Pacific the other day, SFO GDP and all. At least SFO is civilized when you land, unlike the madhouse at LAX, my AC also delayed at origin for an hour.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

EDIT: Just called AC to clarify, and the explanation is that this is "not a hard alert". I'm still eligible for a free change by phone, but can't do it online. I don't really understand the rationale behind that, but it's what I was told.
Its so you can call and clog up the already busy call center. Do not see the rationale for this where you can call and change but not on line.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

SFO Runway closure may affect AC flights

San Francisco Chronicle - Roland Li Aug. 27, 2019

SFO to close busiest runway for much of September: what you need to know

QUOTES:

"San Francisco International Airport will close its busiest runway section for 20 days starting Sept. 7 for construction, reducing the number of flights by 13%.

Delays of 30 to 45 minutes on average are expected for all flights after 9 a.m., with some flights delayed up to two hours.

The 28L runway serves 68% of flights and must be repaired at a cost of $17.2 million, the airport said."

Full article

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...f-14379076.php

I've alerted the mod to change the thread title if necessary. I did not post in this older thread as it is dated 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ne-2017-a.html
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
this could get interesting...

It takes more than just a closed runway at SFO to keep AC from landing!
maradori, wrp96, DNAwizard and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
this could get interesting...

It takes more than just a closed runway at SFO to keep AC from landing!
LOL
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AC does not yet have anything posted on their site about this, but there be some useful info in UA's notice (bolding mine):

San Francisco airport construction

The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will close a major runway for repairs from September 7–26, and we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.

We’re also offering a travel waiver that gives you flexibility to change your flight or connect in a different city. We will continue to work with other airports to rebook connecting customers through those cities while the airport runway is closed.

The airport’s AirTrain will also be periodically closed at night due to AirTrain construction, so we recommend allowing extra time to get around the airport if you’re traveling in the evening and use the AirTrain to get between terminals.

You can find more information on the San Francisco International Airport website.
gcashin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by 24left
AC does not yet have anything posted on their site about this, but there be some useful info in UA's notice (bolding mine):

San Francisco airport construction

The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will close a major runway for repairs from September 7–26, and we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.

We’re also offering a travel waiver that gives you flexibility to change your flight or connect in a different city. We will continue to work with other airports to rebook connecting customers through those cities while the airport runway is closed.

The airport’s AirTrain will also be periodically closed at night due to AirTrain construction, so we recommend allowing extra time to get around the airport if you’re traveling in the evening and use the AirTrain to get between terminals.

You can find more information on the San Francisco International Airport website.
On going air train construction is already a pain. If the AC flight arrives even a bit late, you have to take the bus to the car rental since they close the Air train either at 8pm and almost always at 9pm.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll post a trip report update as I'm flying to and from SFO during these dates. I'm used to circling over Utah on the way to SFO or delayed departures from YYZ due to the usual SFO GDP. Guess I'll need to bring along some distractions to keep me entertained if delayed.

Meanwhile, right now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.