Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Montreal to Leipzip : how to reduce 700$ taxes

Question: Montreal to Leipzip : how to reduce 700$ taxes

Old May 1, 17, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Question Montreal to Leipzip : how to reduce 700$ taxes

Hi,

I am a newbies here.
I plan a trip to Leipzip this year september using my Aeroplan points.
When I go to Aeroplan website for the flight,
it want to charge me 700$ taxes !

All the flights listed from Montreal to europe are with Air Canada or Luftansa

How can I reduce that amount of taxes ?

Tanks for help
Old May 1, 17, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
This is the thread for you.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...demptions.html
Welcome to FT.
Old May 1, 17, 5:54 pm

Programs: Altitude E35K
You can reduce or eliminate the amount of carrier surcharge by flying on a different airline.

You have not given us a lot to go on here though. Some dates that you would like to travel would help, and which class you wish to travel in.

But just off the top of my head YUL-ZRH-FRA with Swiss would give you low fuel surcharges. As would YUL-EWR-FRA on United.
Old May 1, 17, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch View Post
You can reduce or eliminate the amount of carrier surcharge by flying on a different airline.

You have not given us a lot to go on here though. Some dates that you would like to travel would help, and which class you wish to travel in.

But just off the top of my head YUL-ZRH-FRA with Swiss would give you low fuel surcharges. As would YUL-EWR-FRA on United.
Flying from Sept 27 to Oct 18
From YUL to LEJ \Economy Class

From Aeroplan website , there is only Air Canada and Lufthansa flight available.
I do not see Swiss and United, where can I select Swiss and United and use my points ?

Thanks.
Old May 1, 17, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by curvenut View Post
Flying from Sept 27 to Oct 18
From YUL to LEJ \Economy Class

From Aeroplan website , there is only Air Canada and Lufthansa flight available.
I do not see Swiss and United, where can I select Swiss and United and use my points ?

Thanks.
Aeroplan is having some technical issues showing Swiss award space. I'd try again in a few days. You may want to follow this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aeroplan.html
Old May 1, 17, 8:51 pm

If your flexible you can fly YUL-ZRH on LX on Sept 26... from there looks like you need ZRH-FRA-LEJ... which is also available on the 27th (your arrival date into ZRH)

ZRH-YUL is available on LX on the 17th... Option via BOS on the 18th but involves a 10hr layover...

Not your exact dates, but that what booking desirable routes in the 5 to 6 month range will generally look like..
Old May 1, 17, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
Aeroplan is having some technical issues showing Swiss award space. I'd try again in a few days. You may want to follow this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aeroplan.html
many have reported the issues have been solved; there is no LX availability on his dates which is why he is not seeing anything. Further searching YUL-LEJ which has an almost mandatory connection in FRA will inevitably only display AC/LH options. The option via ZRH (YUL-ZRH-FRA-LEJ) adds a connection so it wont display straight up as many "better" options will be displayed first.
Old May 1, 17, 8:55 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by hearna View Post
If your flexible you can fly YUL-ZRH on LX on Sept 26... from there looks like you need ZRH-FRA-LEJ... which is also available on the 27th (your arrival date into ZRH)

ZRH-YUL is available on LX on the 17th... Option via BOS on the 18th but involves a 10hr layover...

Not your exact dates, but that what booking desirable routes in the 5 to 6 month range will generally look like..
at that point it's probably easier to fly ZRH-FRA/MUC/TXL/anywhere in Germany if even and just take the train instead of trying to find availability for all the small segments.
Old May 1, 17, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, I ll try that as soon as Aeroplan website show the LX filghts
Old May 1, 17, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
at that point it's probably easier to fly ZRH-FRA/MUC/TXL/anywhere in Germany if even and just take the train instead of trying to find availability for all the small segments.
Agreed, I would search for the best options to Berlin first, there are a lot more options and it would be a very easy and quick trip on ICE to Leipzig from there.
Old May 2, 17, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hearna View Post
many have reported the issues have been solved;
It was solved but now it's back to not solved.
Old May 2, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
It was solved but now it's back to not solved.
You see the "solution" was costing AP and AC some kickbacks on the "fuel surcharge" so now they in-solved the solution.
Old Jun 29, 17, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi

So finally I will take Swiss company
YUL-ZRH-TXL, 1 hours in ZRH

TXL-ZRH-YUL , 3 hours in ZRH

Toatal taxes : 198$ which good in my opinion considering with
Luftansa and AC I would have to pay almost 600$ !!

200$ taxes is pretty the lowest I can get unless someone can find anything lower !
Old Jun 29, 17, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's a Leipzip?

Does that bite?
Old Jun 29, 17, 10:59 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What's a Leipzip?

Does that bite?
No, you're thinking of the Leipzag. Vicious beast.

Search this Thread