FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: Montreal to Leipzip : how to reduce 700$ taxes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1840113-montreal-leipzip-how-reduce-700-taxes.html)

curvenut May 1, 2017 5:40 pm

Montreal to Leipzip : how to reduce 700$ taxes

Hi,

I am a newbies here.
I plan a trip to Leipzip this year september using my Aeroplan points.
When I go to Aeroplan website for the flight,
it want to charge me 700$ taxes !

All the flights listed from Montreal to europe are with Air Canada or Luftansa

How can I reduce that amount of taxes ?

Tanks for help

flyquiet May 1, 2017 5:51 pm

This is the thread for you.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...demptions.html
Welcome to FT.

dr_torch May 1, 2017 5:54 pm

You can reduce or eliminate the amount of carrier surcharge by flying on a different airline.

You have not given us a lot to go on here though. Some dates that you would like to travel would help, and which class you wish to travel in.

But just off the top of my head YUL-ZRH-FRA with Swiss would give you low fuel surcharges. As would YUL-EWR-FRA on United.

curvenut May 1, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 28254213)
You can reduce or eliminate the amount of carrier surcharge by flying on a different airline.

You have not given us a lot to go on here though. Some dates that you would like to travel would help, and which class you wish to travel in.

But just off the top of my head YUL-ZRH-FRA with Swiss would give you low fuel surcharges. As would YUL-EWR-FRA on United.

Flying from Sept 27 to Oct 18
From YUL to LEJ \Economy Class

From Aeroplan website , there is only Air Canada and Lufthansa flight available.
I do not see Swiss and United, where can I select Swiss and United and use my points ?

Thanks.

imverge May 1, 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by curvenut (Post 28254635)
Flying from Sept 27 to Oct 18
From YUL to LEJ \Economy Class

From Aeroplan website , there is only Air Canada and Lufthansa flight available.
I do not see Swiss and United, where can I select Swiss and United and use my points ?

Thanks.

Aeroplan is having some technical issues showing Swiss award space. I'd try again in a few days. You may want to follow this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aeroplan.html

hearna May 1, 2017 8:51 pm

If your flexible you can fly YUL-ZRH on LX on Sept 26... from there looks like you need ZRH-FRA-LEJ... which is also available on the 27th (your arrival date into ZRH)

ZRH-YUL is available on LX on the 17th... Option via BOS on the 18th but involves a 10hr layover...

Not your exact dates, but that what booking desirable routes in the 5 to 6 month range will generally look like..

hearna May 1, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by imverge (Post 28254682)
Aeroplan is having some technical issues showing Swiss award space. I'd try again in a few days. You may want to follow this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aeroplan.html

many have reported the issues have been solved; there is no LX availability on his dates which is why he is not seeing anything. Further searching YUL-LEJ which has an almost mandatory connection in FRA will inevitably only display AC/LH options. The option via ZRH (YUL-ZRH-FRA-LEJ) adds a connection so it wont display straight up as many "better" options will be displayed first.

Smiley90 May 1, 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by hearna (Post 28254707)
If your flexible you can fly YUL-ZRH on LX on Sept 26... from there looks like you need ZRH-FRA-LEJ... which is also available on the 27th (your arrival date into ZRH)

ZRH-YUL is available on LX on the 17th... Option via BOS on the 18th but involves a 10hr layover...

Not your exact dates, but that what booking desirable routes in the 5 to 6 month range will generally look like..

at that point it's probably easier to fly ZRH-FRA/MUC/TXL/anywhere in Germany if even and just take the train instead of trying to find availability for all the small segments.

curvenut May 1, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks for your help, I ll try that as soon as Aeroplan website show the LX filghts

eigenvector May 1, 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 28254721)
at that point it's probably easier to fly ZRH-FRA/MUC/TXL/anywhere in Germany if even and just take the train instead of trying to find availability for all the small segments.

Agreed, I would search for the best options to Berlin first, there are a lot more options and it would be a very easy and quick trip on ICE to Leipzig from there.

imverge May 2, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hearna (Post 28254714)
many have reported the issues have been solved;

It was solved but now it's back to not solved.

The smallest state May 2, 2017 11:16 am

Originally Posted by imverge (Post 28256523)
It was solved but now it's back to not solved.

You see the "solution" was costing AP and AC some kickbacks on the "fuel surcharge" so now they in-solved the solution.

curvenut Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi

So finally I will take Swiss company
YUL-ZRH-TXL, 1 hours in ZRH

TXL-ZRH-YUL , 3 hours in ZRH

Toatal taxes : 198$ which good in my opinion considering with
Luftansa and AC I would have to pay almost 600$ !!

200$ taxes is pretty the lowest I can get unless someone can find anything lower !

Stranger Jun 29, 2017 10:20 pm

What's a Leipzip?

Does that bite?

Marlin240 Jun 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 28502933)
What's a Leipzip?

Does that bite?

No, you're thinking of the Leipzag. Vicious beast.

The smallest state Jun 29, 2017 11:04 pm

YOU ARE FLYING ECONOMY AND EXPECTED TO PAY $700 IN TAXES???????

No man. Book a real ticket, with cash, shouldn't be more than $900. Earn the points and take your significant other to San Fran or Vancouver.

Stranger Jun 30, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by The smallest state (Post 28503044)

No man. Book a real ticket, with cash, shouldn't be more than $900. Earn the points and take your significant other to San Fran or Vancouver.

Eh, trying to precipitate the AE demise?

We need to keep them afloat until we redeem the bulk of our miles, I would think?

The smallest state Jun 30, 2017 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 28504554)
Eh, trying to precipitate the AE demise?

We need to keep them afloat until we redeem the bulk of our miles, I would think?

I've actually been running through my head, what would happen if Aeroplan went belly up before AC breaks off a new frequent flyer program. What action would AC take? No idea.

I was told when it happens that you can move your points from AP to AC Version 2.0

curvenut Jun 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state (Post 28503044)

No I paid 200$ taxes . which is good considering the ticket to berlin cost 1000$ at least

PointWeasel Jul 1, 2017 7:14 am

TK, TK, TK.

YUL-IST-LEJ-IST-YUL

Nice and easy.