Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/how-to-play

canadiancow's calculator: http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/eyw/index.php

FT members trying to earn a spot in the top 30:

alc (aaalllccc) - 126,500 wings + any WiFi I will get
canadiancow - ~106,575 so far (earned, not posted)
mozzarella - ~86K wings + future wifi
biglinguist -- 61,000 wings (2 days' EYW runs + regular travel)
mikeyyz - ~50k wings (aiming for 28-30th too)
dtman85 (deedat85)- 41K wings (4 days' EYW runs)-(Aiming for 28-30th)
bonaventure - 40k wings

****** Posted on EYW Website ******
12/11/17
This edition of Air Canada Earn Your Wings is now over. Thank you for participating in this sixth edition for Air Canada Altitude 2017 members. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on February 15, 2018, so check the website for Leaderboard ranking updates.
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm still missing 4 wifi badges.

At this rate, I'll be top 10 as of next Wednesday's update.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Was there ever any doubt that you'd be in the top 10 in this contest?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Was there ever any doubt that you'd be in the top 10 in this contest?
I still don't know if I'll be top 10 at the end.

But I should be top 10 after my Sunday flights, for a while.

Actually I suspect I'll be top 10 from around next Wednesday until well into November.

Maybe I'll finish there too. Who knows.

Check my blog
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I still don't know if I'll be top 10 at the end.

But I should be top 10 after my Sunday flights, for a while.

Actually I suspect I'll be top 10 from around next Wednesday until well into November.

Maybe I'll finish there too. Who knows.

Check my blog
You will be in top 5

With the latest update I think all my "g" tickets have been credited. Still waiting for gogo WiFi and car rental.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite

Still have zero wifi badges. About 14-16 missing.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:54 am
alc

For the very time this year, a US custom officer @ YUL (heading to ORD) comment that "another person state the same thing yesterday, but flying to a different city." Had a few chat and he wish me luck and off I go.

Maybe it is still too early for those in EYW this year, as they might all pack in Nov/Dec with those Accelerator Badges bookings. I really expect I will encounter this comment a lot earlier.

Anyway, off I go to ORD.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by alc
For the very time this year, a US custom officer @ YUL (heading to ORD) comment that "another person state the same thing yesterday, but flying to a different city." Had a few chat and he wish me luck and off I go.

Maybe it is still too early for those in EYW this year, as they might all pack in Nov/Dec with those Accelerator Badges bookings. I really expect I will encounter this comment a lot earlier.

Anyway, off I go to ORD.
The contest was announced on September 7. Most business travellers book anywhere between 1 week to 5 weeks out. For EYW players who want to reduce out of pocket costs, they book a minimum 2 weeks out for domestic itineraries or 30 days out for TB itineraries, barring destinations like BOS (3 days) or SAN (7 days) where you can still get decent fares close in. For TATL fares, you need 50 days advance booking for decent PY fare, and TPAC flights are too long for leisure EYW flyers. South and Central America destinations aren't as attractive this time around as they earn much lower wing counts compared to EU and Asian/Oceanic destinations. Factoring in all this and the accelerator badge, I suppose wing counts will really only take off during November.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
For the first time since this round started, I can actual;y figure out how they calculated my wing count. Until now, the only way was to credit a take-off, but not the landing of a flight! I ma now caught up until Oct 9 except for Wi-Fi and Wild Card badges. It sure would be nice to be bale to click a button and see which flights AC claims to be counting. Seams like it would reduce the workload for AC (except for IT programming) since they would not have to respond to so many requests for credit, etc.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by alc

Anyway, off I go to ORD.
The only time I encountered something like that was at YUL, but my traveling companion spoke the same officer right before me.

I don't even explain the contest. Keep it simple. "I'm flying to earn a bunch of miles, I'm coming back on the same plane."

At least that can be understood (even if they think you're crazy) very easily. Fly. Earn miles. Done.

I would never want to get into a whole "Hey so there's this Earn Your Wings thing and ..." explanation unless absolutely necessary.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:07 am
alc

The only time I encountered something like that was at YUL, but my traveling companion spoke the same officer right before me.

I don't even explain the contest. Keep it simple. "I'm flying to earn a bunch of miles, I'm coming back on the same plane."

At least that can be understood (even if they think you're crazy) very easily. Fly. Earn miles. Done.

I would never want to get into a whole "Hey so there's this Earn Your Wings thing and ..." explanation unless absolutely necessary.
the try the simple thing on my 1st Trip, didn't go so well. So, I change it, and change it, and change it, and now my robotic playback is just "I am in an Air Canada contest that required me fly to certain airports to get certain points. If I win, I will get 1 million Aeroplan miles!!". In my experience, it is the last line that keep them from asking any more questions, as to most people 1 millions Aeroplan miles "sound" a lot . Usually, the next line is just confirming if I am leaving ORD or staying. I guess it is how comfortable/confidence you are when speaking to them, maybe my 1st Trip, I was not so prepare, so, I may have look nerves. My job fly me domestic 90% of the time, so, US custom is not something that I am very good at.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by alc
the try the simple thing on my 1st Trip, didn't go so well. So, I change it, and change it, and change it, and now my robotic playback is just "I am in an Air Canada contest that required me fly to certain airports to get certain points. If I win, I will get 1 million Aeroplan miles!!". In my experience, it is the last line that keep them from asking any more questions, as to most people 1 millions Aeroplan miles "sound" a lot . Usually, the next line is just confirming if I am leaving ORD or staying. I guess it is how comfortable/confidence you are when speaking to them, maybe my 1st Trip, I was not so prepare, so, I may have look nerves. My job fly me domestic 90% of the time, so, US custom is not something that I am very good at.
Try explaining the contest to border officers at EZE Even if you don't explain the contest, you still have to explain why you are flying all the way only to be in Argentina for two hours. Only a FTer would understand.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:26 pm
alc

another update is happening, based on the Airports Visited, it is up to last Sunday (Oct 15) activities. So, look like the time is around 4:20pm when they start the update and usually take about 1hr to finish. (So, I will stop creating a post stating an update is happening from now on )
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by alc
another update is happening, based on the Airports Visited, it is up to last Sunday (Oct 15) activities. So, look like the time is around 4:20pm when they start the update and usually take about 1hr to finish. (So, I will stop creating a post stating an update is happening from now on )
Take a screenshot of your ranking before Cow and Grandbend obliterate your wing counts.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Take a screenshot of your ranking before Cow and Grandbend obliterate your wing counts.
Yes take a screen shot, congratulationa at being #1 for the week.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:08 pm
alc

Originally Posted by traacs
Yes take a screen shot, congratulationa at being #1 for the week.
its okay, as someone said it before, the winner is not rank 1, it is rank 10, 30, and this year also include rank 50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.