Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/how-to-play

canadiancow's calculator: http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/eyw/index.php

FT members trying to earn a spot in the top 30:

alc (aaalllccc) - 126,500 wings + any WiFi I will get
canadiancow - ~106,575 so far (earned, not posted)
mozzarella - ~86K wings + future wifi
biglinguist -- 61,000 wings (2 days' EYW runs + regular travel)
mikeyyz - ~50k wings (aiming for 28-30th too)
dtman85 (deedat85)- 41K wings (4 days' EYW runs)-(Aiming for 28-30th)
bonaventure - 40k wings

****** Posted on EYW Website ******
12/11/17
This edition of Air Canada Earn Your Wings is now over. Thank you for participating in this sixth edition for Air Canada Altitude 2017 members. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on February 15, 2018, so check the website for Leaderboard ranking updates.
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You don't think 20k wings per day is enough to win?
No I don't :-)

Not for the limited number of days that the offer was active for.

SG
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by alc
Can someone please let me know if you have a domestic FLEX G fare flights credited on your EYW profile or not? Thanks.
All my EYW-eligible flights so far have been flex G, on Sept 29 and 30 and Oct 6 and 10, and none of them have shown up yet.

So yeah, it looks like there's a G problem.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
alc

Originally Posted by biglinguist
All my EYW-eligible flights so far have been flex G, on Sept 29 and 30 and Oct 6 and 10, and none of them have shown up yet.

So yeah, it looks like there's a G problem.
Thanks for confirming, glad we got this mystery solved. Now, we just need AC to fix fix this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by alc
Thanks for confirming, glad we got this mystery solved. Now, we just need AC to fix fix this.
I will confirm as well. I have taken 9 EYW flights so far. The 2 in latitude posted, the 7 in flex G have not posted even though some of them were prior to the latitude flights.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:55 pm
alc

Just noticed on the AC App, it still say:

"It is not too late to Play! Register now for Earn Your Wings"

4 Calendar Day and 2 Business day pasted the deadline.

I am not surprised, I just got nothing better to do while sitting on a Q400 that is delay for 20min at the gate with all PAX onboard
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by traacs
True, but it is money in the bank, it has to be spent with them.
Accountants call it "deferred revenue". It doesn't affect the top line. Or the bottom line. It balances out until it is realized (spent).

But investors do notice. Or would, if it was significant. I doubt that in AC's case it is.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Can I ask a stupid question?

Why do people play "Earn Your Wings" and fly like this out of pocket?

Is there anything more to it than it lines up nicely with the early recognition deadline and people get their last mileage/legs in that way?

Are there other bonuses or something?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by djkyyc
I will confirm as well. I have taken 9 EYW flights so far. The 2 in latitude posted, the 7 in flex G have not posted even though some of them were prior to the latitude flights.
Flex G are missing and so are the GoGo (unlimited) postings for G flight segments. Intuition tells me that when AC sorts out the massive G oversight, the GoGo wings will still be missing.

SG
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yosemite1

Is there anything more to it than it lines up nicely with the early recognition deadline and people get their last mileage/legs in that way?

1. If you read the rules, some of the prizes are incentive enough for some, and it changes yearly.
2. Bragging rights
3. Some fame here... IIRC, nobody has made the news (I could be wrong) although I think it is newsworthy. I don't think anyone has successfully monetized any related-short-lived-fame either.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
1. If you read the rules, some of the prizes are incentive enough for some, and it changes yearly.
2. Bragging rights
3. Some fame here... IIRC, nobody has made the news (I could be wrong) although I think it is newsworthy. I don't think anyone has successfully monetized any related-short-lived-fame either.

Hmm, so if I fly a lot of segments but not accruing a lot of AQD, EYW helps with AQD.

And then the bonus AP Miles aren't AQM, just redeemable miles?

Ah yes, I see the prizes now. Thats a lot of miles! I hope people go around the world with those lol
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hmm, so if I fly a lot of segments but not accruing a lot of AQD, EYW helps with AQD.

And then the bonus AP Miles aren't AQM, just redeemable miles?

Ah yes, I see the prizes now. Thats a lot of miles! I hope people go around the world with those lol
99% of the time, non-COS bonus miles are not AQM.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:44 pm
alc

as you learn it from grade school, no question is stupid

As a number guy, I look at ROI For me, i want to get the SE status and it need to be "free" while keeping a cpm value that I would get my money back.

For example, I always value my AP mile based on a Round-Trip YYZ-HKG,so 75K + ~$185 Tax in Y. I don't value my mile in J as I will never purchase such ticket During the x'mas (when we normally go to HKG), that is easily a $2000 ticket. So, that is 2.42 cpm. even at the low season where it is selling as low as $1000, that is still 1.087 cpm. Hence, taking a mid point between the two values is ~1.75 cpm. With AP ticket, you get to do 1 or 2 free stopover, that really increase the ticket price, so that is the "value-add" of using reward ticket.

So my final cpm for this year EYW is 1.67 cpm if I rank bewteen 11 to 30.

SE added other benefit like IKK, no YQ, Concierge, all these are bonus on top.

Specially for this time, we (family of 3) plan to go to SYD in summer 2019, hence, getting an AP ticket (in Y or J) without IKK is very difficult, need to be very flexible on the dates and most likely can't get AC 33/34. Being SE will solve that issue and save on YQ as well.

------
Please note: I an in IT, just that I always like numbers, a math geek so, I am not an accountant, do not ask me about your Tax problem
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by alc
as you learn it from grade school, no question is stupid

As a number guy, I look at ROI For me, i want to get the SE status and it need to be "free" while keeping a cpm value that I would get my money back.

For example, I always value my AP mile based on a Round-Trip YYZ-HKG,so 75K + ~$185 Tax in Y. I don't value my mile in J as I will never purchase such ticket During the x'mas (when we normally go to HKG), that is easily a $2000 ticket. So, that is 2.42 cpm. even at the low season where it is selling as low as $1000, that is still 1.087 cpm. Hence, taking a mid point between the two values is ~1.75 cpm. With AP ticket, you get to do 1 or 2 free stopover, that really increase the ticket price, so that is the "value-add" of using reward ticket.

So my final cpm for this year EYW is 1.67 cpm if I rank bewteen 11 to 30.

SE added other benefit like IKK, no YQ, Concierge, all these are bonus on top.

Specially for this time, we (family of 3) plan to go to SYD in summer 2019, hence, getting an AP ticket (in Y or J) without IKK is very difficult, need to be very flexible on the dates and most likely can't get AC 33/34. Being SE will solve that issue and save on YQ as well.

------
Please note: I an in IT, just that I always like numbers, a math geek so, I am not an accountant, do not ask me about your Tax problem

This is very interesting. Do you know how much you spent on flights out of pocket to get SE? (regardless of during EYW)
Because you can do a cost analysis on flights taken for SE vs 3 outright flights to HK?

Or maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly... If you accrue 75k AP points x3 from bonuses on EYW from flights that total under $6000 that's "winning" for you?

But then you mention 11-30, so if you came under 3x $2000 tickets plus 3x tickets to SYD be "winning" for you if you made the top 11-30 based on the points you get back for placing that high?

This is all pretty cool, I love to learn about how people gauge ROI as it helps me further understand FFP hacking like this!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is very interesting. Do you know how much you spent on flights out of pocket to get SE?
At least $10,000 plus taxes and fees.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:19 pm
alc

This is very interesting. Do you know how much you spent on flights out of pocket to get SE? (regardless of during EYW)
Because you can do a cost analysis on flights taken for SE vs 3 outright flights to HK?

Or maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly... If you accrue 75k AP points x3 from bonuses on EYW from flights that total under $6000 that's "winning" for you?

But then you mention 11-30, so if you came under 3x $2000 tickets plus 3x tickets to SYD be "winning" for you if you made the top 11-30 based on the points you get back for placing that high?

This is all pretty cool, I love to learn about how people gauge ROI as it helps me further understand FFP hacking like this!
well, 500K AP + what all the AQM + other miles related for me to do this year EYW, I will get be getting ~710K AP, that is 9.467 tickets of YYZ-HKG. using $1,500 per ticket, that is $14,200.

beside, I am also adding my MM total and that is for retirement to ensure I will get *G (which I think AC will reduce the benefit of E50K over time, but you would think 1MM will always get *G for lounge + luggage)

---- Additional answer ----

Forgot to answer your 1st question -> Do you know how much you spent on flights out of pocket to get SE?

$0. I am one of those OPM flyer if it isn't EYW to allow me to break even (or better) on the miles I am getting back, I will not do it... unless I am very very close, like my 1st time SE where I did the Segment Run like you did over the past weekend, my was LAS from BUF. But as mentioned to you, that is when I was super excited to be a SE for the very first time. So, my brain might not making the correct decision back then too

Last edited by alc; Oct 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.