Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/how-to-play

canadiancow's calculator: http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/eyw/index.php

FT members trying to earn a spot in the top 30:

alc (aaalllccc) - 126,500 wings + any WiFi I will get
canadiancow - ~106,575 so far (earned, not posted)
mozzarella - ~86K wings + future wifi
biglinguist -- 61,000 wings (2 days' EYW runs + regular travel)
mikeyyz - ~50k wings (aiming for 28-30th too)
dtman85 (deedat85)- 41K wings (4 days' EYW runs)-(Aiming for 28-30th)
bonaventure - 40k wings

****** Posted on EYW Website ******
12/11/17
This edition of Air Canada Earn Your Wings is now over. Thank you for participating in this sixth edition for Air Canada Altitude 2017 members. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on February 15, 2018, so check the website for Leaderboard ranking updates.
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
To give you all a breakdown of what my cost was...

If I finish in top 10 then my cost is < 1.0 cpm (AQM / non AQM / CC)
If I finish in position 11 to 30 then my cost is 1.7 cpm

I'm estimating about ~90k wings depending on how these wifi badges post

This year was much harder than previous as the "prairie runs" weren't as lucrative as previous years. The schedule didn't allow for good connections and you had to hit more airports to get a single badge.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:55 pm
alc

Originally Posted by YYT82
How will you feel if you end up in #11?
That had been factor in my decision as I know I don't have the "got to be top 10" wings count. Espeically after discover my error of that 20K Wings While I will be lying if I am not hoping/wishing I will be top 10, but it is not a must. I could have book a few more P fare YTZ-YUL-ORD trip in Nov, but since my goal is getting SE for as little as possible, I decided I will stop at 95 AQS. Remember that I started this as a P25K.

I will end up getting 100 AQS for the year. As while making the EYW bookings, it got to 97 AQS, then due to some flight cancellation, I re-route via YHZ and get to 98 AQS, and hence I did SDC twice to get to 100 AQS for an add'l 20 eUpg, that will coming in Nov after a work trip that got delay to Nov (too bad I didn't' know during the Accelerator Badge) so, they should expire Feb 2019.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
Is it just me or are wings not posting? My eyw account shows 4500 wings when by my calcs I am over 13,000. I have digital nomad badges, wingstipUSE badges all not posting. Ive done 12 AC segments in the last two weeks and every time I log in it says I have earned zero badges since my last lod-in except for one time I earned 500.
I had four more trips (12 segments at least) to book before today and I didn't because this promo and its updates bug me. Good luck to you guys, I should have been in top 30 but I don't care anymore.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
I had four more trips (12 segments at least) to book before today andh I didn't because this promo and its updates bug me. Good luck to you guys, I should have been in top 30 but I don't care anymore.
I’m I need the same boat. The updates and lack of transparency just made me stop caring. I already requalified for 100k so this should have been a good way for AC to keep me flying them for the rest of the year. Instead I’ve held off on booking and may look to requalify for Delta gold instead. Frustrating promo.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I’m I need the same boat. The updates and lack of transparency just made me stop caring. I already requalified for 100k so this should have been a good way for AC to keep me flying them for the rest of the year. Instead I’ve held off on booking and may look to requalify for Delta gold instead. Frustrating promo.
+1

I have three pending long-haul trips during the promotion period, two of these in PY, but I would have needed to poke and prod and cajole the internal travel approval system in order to make my bookings before the window closed yesterday. I stopped trying.

The only way to get me re-engaged would be for mystery badge #4 to magically extend the booking window.
--
13F
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Mystery badge #4 : Earn negative wings for every booking cancelled between October 12 and December 11. The number of negative wings will be equal to the total number of wings associated with each take off and landing at the airports in the cancelled itineraries. Yeah, that's right, we got you right from the get go. This is the Air Canada way! We're not delighted until you are really pissed off.

Back on serious topic, the updates are poor because of the Branding of domestic flights since September 19th. Who would really think AC's IT can sort out un-Branded Flex from Branded Flex without manual intervention?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:24 am
alc

Back on serious topic, the updates are poor because of the Branding of domestic flights since September 19th. Who would really think AC's IT can sort out un-Branded Flex from Branded Flex without manual intervention?
I noticed a number of my Sept flights had changed from "FLEX" back to G or M fare on my Altitude Dashboard. Maybe there is a light at the end of this AC EYW tunnel
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Huh?

The updates are happening exactly as they have the previous 5 times.

It amazes me that this is still such a topic of discussion on the sixth iteration of the contest.

They suck. We know.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh?

The updates are happening exactly as they have the previous 5 times.

It amazes me that this is still such a topic of discussion on the sixth iteration of the contest.

They suck. We know.
Nope. I am aware of quite a number of people having missing wings, more than the past contests. You don't notice this because you haven't truly begun your heavy EYW flying yet.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Nope. I am aware of quite a number of people having missing wings, more than the past contests. You don't notice this because you haven't truly begun your heavy EYW flying yet.
Agreed - mine is a mess - going all the way back to Sept 18. And I'm not just counting the 15 wifi badges I'm missing....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
It is indeed particularly bad. I have random flights on the same bookings as others that have not posted yet. I have zero wifi badges of the 14 I should have. It is a mess.

Are people counting the texting wifi pass as one worth earning wings as well? I have played it safe by getting the full ride pass.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
It is indeed particularly bad. I have random flights on the same bookings as others that have not posted yet. I have zero wifi badges of the 14 I should have. It is a mess.

Are people counting the texting wifi pass as one worth earning wings as well? I have played it safe by getting the full ride pass.
The rules say that even a monthly pass will work as long as you enter your Aeroplan number.

I don't know how I'm going to prove that I used wifi on every flight I take.

Also, I can't post my wing count yet, because it keeps changing.

P space opened up on a SFO-YVR flight, so I upfared it. More wings.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
P space opened up on a SFO-YVR flight, so I upfared it. More wings.
Does this count if you upfare the booking after the booking window closed? I have a Tango booking made during the EYW booking window, and am considering upfaring to Flex now (window closed).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Does this count if you upfare the booking after the booking window closed? I have a Tango booking made during the EYW booking window, and am considering upfaring to Flex now (window closed).
Well I guess that's a good point.

This is the only time I've made a change like this after the window closed (P space wasn't available before).

I did it more because I wanted guaranteed J on that flight, but I assume I'll get the bonus for being in J.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
In the past, what mattered was the booking date. Otherwise, any flights that were changed as results of IRROPS outside of the booking window would not have been eligible. Hence in your example, upfaring now should be fine.

Now that I think about it, there is a sinister scenario that could negatively impact players in IRROPS situations. Consider this: you have a J ticket issued by TK that involves AC flights FRA-YVR (and a couple more domestic flights) as well as YYZ-DUB. Due to a flight delay out of IST, you end up missing your FRA-YVR flight. TK puts you on FRA-YYZ but the coupon was not valid when you try to get your BP at FRA. Eventually TK issued the FRA-YYZ-Yxx segments under a new ticket number and new file. Now you are royally screwed because the date on this file is outside of the booking window. You would then need to go through all the hoops to get ORC back, and most of the time it would be a futile exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.