Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/how-to-play

canadiancow's calculator: http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/eyw/index.php

FT members trying to earn a spot in the top 30:

alc (aaalllccc) - 126,500 wings + any WiFi I will get
canadiancow - ~106,575 so far (earned, not posted)
mozzarella - ~86K wings + future wifi
biglinguist -- 61,000 wings (2 days' EYW runs + regular travel)
mikeyyz - ~50k wings (aiming for 28-30th too)
dtman85 (deedat85)- 41K wings (4 days' EYW runs)-(Aiming for 28-30th)
bonaventure - 40k wings

****** Posted on EYW Website ******
12/11/17
This edition of Air Canada Earn Your Wings is now over. Thank you for participating in this sixth edition for Air Canada Altitude 2017 members. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on February 15, 2018, so check the website for Leaderboard ranking updates.
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017

Old May 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Check your speaker volume. Works just fine via YouTube.
No sound for me
But then, AC almost never captions anything unless they lose in court.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
No sound for me
But then, AC almost never captions anything unless they lose in court.
Can you at least feel the roar of the GE engines on a 77L at takeoff thrust?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Can you at least feel the roar of the GE engines on a 77L at takeoff thrust?
That, and I can make up an imagined script for the safety pantomime and the taking of orders etc. I have probably said "chicken" when they offered me a drink, or "no thank you" when they were collecting empty cups etc.

Still sad no maps on ACr iPads because that's the only seatback entertainment that makes sense without sound.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:34 am

Hey guys,

I tried to search EYW 2016 but couldn't find any useful details about how much some of the top 10/20-30 winners ended up spending, especially with Tango not being applicable.

I'm trying to "earn" about 300,000 AP this year to plan for my honeymoon early 2018, and trying to see if EYW would be feasible without having to resort to other means.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by hsandhar
Hey guys,

I tried to search EYW 2016 but couldn't find any useful details about how much some of the top 10/20-30 winners ended up spending, especially with Tango not being applicable.

I'm trying to "earn" about 300,000 AP this year to plan for my honeymoon early 2018, and trying to see if EYW would be feasible without having to resort to other means.
There's a reason you'll never find those figures posted here.

As for earning 300k AP points, ask Jerry Hung from RFD...I believe there's a few well known and proud cc churners on FT as well who can provide good advice.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: status-free
Hey guys,

I'm sure all of us who have participated (or plan to do it again) will tell you that it's terribly terribly expensive and nobody should do it.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Hey guys,

Three things to consider:

1) Unlike in EYW1, the miles from participation alone (i.e. the wings / badges / bonus miles you're guaranteed to earn from a particular routing) do not justify the expense.

2) *If* you actually end up winning, then yes, it's a very lucrative way to earn AE miles, though the value proposition somewhat depends on whether your time is worth anything to you.

3) Unlike in EYW1, you couldn't really win in any of the other EYW contests by just maximizing "regular trips" (as in trips that you may normally take and and choose to maximize/modify due to EYW). If you look at the last EYW discussions, you'll see that the winners did rather tiring routings (spending 5-8 days of flying non-stop), such as flying coast-to-coast with 7 connecting flights or similar.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by biglinguist
I'm sure all of us who have participated (or plan to do it again) will tell you that it's terribly terribly expensive and nobody should do it.
It is very time consuming as well. For the financial aspect, when I did it part of the trips were for work related travel. I only paid out of pocket for the flights to complete the badges. I doubt anyone will publicly admit how much they spent on this, it is in the range where people not on FT will question your sanity. If you are planning to participate, you have to calculate your return on investment first. And even then, there is a gambling approach to it. It is not possible to predict the final position on the leaderboard so you could do all flying and miss the mark by a flight or two.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yultraveler
And even then, there is a gambling approach to it. It is not possible to predict the final position on the leaderboard so you could do all flying and miss the mark by a flight or two.
That's the big thing.

I was aiming for # 1 , and I ended up # 6 .

Just keep that in mind.

If your goal is to spend just enough to be # 10, imagine how you'll feel if you end up # 11.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by biglinguist
Cost is relative.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:07 pm

Thanks guys! I kind of figured but still wanted to try my fate. I sent a PM to Jerry, lets see if something works out.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Cost is relative.
Actually it isn't.

Value is relative. Affordability is relative.

Cost of a seat to a pal consumer is objective. It is an absolute and fixed price. Everybody pays the same cost. (Of course they don't but that is a function of fare buckets, availability and time.)
Old May 5, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

It seems another reminder is needed that this thread is for speculation about the 2017 version of Air Canada's Earn Your Way contest so any other matters than this contest should be posted elsewhere or they may be deleted.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
Old May 5, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Exclamation 2017 Speculation

Originally Posted by tcook052
It seems another reminder is needed that this thread is for speculation about the 2017 version of Air Canada's Earn Your Way contest so any other matters than this contest should be posted elsewhere or they may be deleted.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
You're not going to see any contest launch as long as there are the problems in YYZ.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
You're not going to see any contest launch as long as there are the problems in YYZ.
YYZ was never a useful airport. My 9 day run for EYWv4 only transited YYZ 4 times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.