Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight #'s: Re-Numbering and Re-Education

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight #'s: Re-Numbering and Re-Education

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Haha, you guys are even bigger nerds than me !

I memorize WS flight numbers because I've worked under them for years, but never really memorized much of the AC sked despite being a frequent passenger. I mean AC 156 has always been YVR-YYZ red eye for me and always departing the same gate. But beyond that, and AC 963, or was it 962, was the flight to BOG for a long time.

On this topic, I had a bit of a chuckle twice in the past couple weeks with flights/numbers.

At SFO the other night, I noticed SQ 1 to SIN and then UA 1 also to SIN departing close to each other. Then at EWR I noticed UA had 2 flights so San Jose departing both at exactly 1630, of course one was to SJO and the other SJC, but try explaining that to the people flying to SYD that end up at YQY .
Memorizing WS flight numbers must be fun given that there's a lack of any logical sequencing with them. Mind you the same can be said of just about all US carriers.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Effective tomorrow (May 1) a realignment and streamlining of the flight numbers is occurring.
Originally Posted by Stranger
Does that mean we'll get bombarded by itinerary change e-mails.
Since we've known about this since the fall, probably not.

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
How does ACA7141 fall into this category? It's a cargo flight CYHM-MMMX that operates weekly.
Operated by Cargojet.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Eternity000
I hope they take the opportunity to flip AC1/AC2 with AC5/AC6. Always find it strange that the 1 flight is seasonal.
Good point since HND is now effectively the "Flagship" flight to Tokyo. I'm still surprised that NRT can't support sustainable year-round traffic -- however, I rarely operate this route.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Busy day at YYZ today (complete with gate festivities) as 3 routes takeoff:

YYZ-SAV
YYZ-MEM
YYZ-SAT (Complete with Mariachi Band)
Old May 1, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tracon
Since we've known about this since the fall, probably not.

Operated by Cargojet.
I know it's operated by CJT. They do a few on behalf of AC not just Mexico City. My question was how the flight number falls into the 71xx series when its purpose doesn't fit that category
Old May 1, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I know it's operated by CJT. They do a few on behalf of AC not just Mexico City. My question was how the flight number falls into the 71xx series when its purpose doesn't fit that category
Perhaps the 71xx series also includes "others".
Old May 1, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat

500-599 US - All Haul Types
700-799 US - All Haul Types
1000-1099 US All Haul Types
Wouldn't it have made sense to simply have say, all 3000 series flight numbers for US?

Anyway, I guess we all have a lot of memorizing to do now ...
Old May 1, 2017, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
ACYYZ/SD, thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I memorize WS flight numbers because I've worked under them for years, but never really memorized much of the AC sked despite being a frequent passenger. I mean AC 156 has always been YVR-YYZ red eye for me and always departing the same gate. But beyond that, and AC 963, or was it 962, was the flight to BOG for a long time.
962 YYZ-BOG, 963 BOG-YYZ

I'm surprised they rouged that route. I work for a company with a lot of business in Colombia. Everyone at our company has essentially stopped taking AC, as have those I talk to at a few of our peer companies.

As for memorizing WS flights, I'm with YoYUL, I think that's quite the feat. Plus WS flight numbers seem to change a lot more and do a lot of segments on one flight number from time to time (e.g. YMM-YEG-YYC-YUL).
Old May 1, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by YoYUL
Memorizing WS flight numbers must be fun given that there's a lack of any logical sequencing with them. Mind you the same can be said of just about all US carriers.
I can't say there's a sequence, but there are patterns.

Anything thats 4xxx is a rescue flight.
Anything that's 3xxx is WS Encore.
Anything that's 7xx to YVR is from YYZ.
Anything 18xx is from various Hawaii.
Anything 2xxx is Mexican.

I digress.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
962 YYZ-BOG, 963 BOG-YYZ

I'm surprised they rouged that route. I work for a company with a lot of business in Colombia. Everyone at our company has essentially stopped taking AC, as have those I talk to at a few of our peer companies.

As for memorizing WS flights, I'm with YoYUL, I think that's quite the feat. Plus WS flight numbers seem to change a lot more and do a lot of segments on one flight number from time to time (e.g. YMM-YEG-YYC-YUL).
1. The WS flights change and it ruins my life! Each season they'll swap out like 1 flight and either reshuffle that number elsewhere, or just dump it for no reason it seems. For years you have the same flight operating the YVR-YYZ red eye, then out of the blue one day, they change it.

2. Can I please work for you ? I keep trying to figure out a way to work down here (as I post this from Medellin). TBH I liked the AC flight, though it was a bit far to go from YVR. Then I had a paid ticket which got rouged, so I got it refunded. I'm fine with Rouge, flew it to DUB and as long as you know what to expect it's not so bad. But I paid for mainline, I wanted mainline. They did seem to lower the average price. It's routinely $750ish from YVR now, as 962 it never dropped below about $800. Right now, the best/cheapest option seems to be Aeromexico, it's dirt cheap when bought in advance. Not the best airline, or best service and MEX is a steaming pile, but hey, for $575 I'll take it vs flying UA/AC.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Member

Effective tomorrow (May 1) a realignment and streamlining of the flight numbers is occurring...
Shirley there is some not insignificant cost to do this. I'm wondering what the rationale is for it.

From a project I'm working on:

Significant (coded) part (think flight) numbers use letter/number combinations to classify item characteristics into groups. These classifications are used for sorting and handling of components. These systems were often necessary for managing product data when few other efficient methods were available.
Significant digits are used to provide insight to an item's physical, functional and/or management attributes. Physical and functional attributes range from type of material to performance ratings. Management attributes range from the company that owns the design to the plant where the item is produced.
The problem with coded numbers is they restrict the organizations ability to improve and change processes related to the design, manufacture, supply and management of the items they identify. Because change is inevitable in any organization, no matter how well defined the numbering system is devised, it will break down over time.
... over time, the significant numbering systems tend to break down. Companies with more
simplistic products take longer to break down than those with more complex products. Significant numbers, thus, tend to loose their significance. They no longer do the classification coding function intended by their inventors. This is the prime reason for recommending as little significance as possible.
What is the ROI?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Shirley there is some not insignificant cost to do this. I'm wondering what the rationale is for it.

From a project I'm working on:

What is the ROI?
One thing I can think of...

Let's say domestic transcons were 100-199. 1-99 were already in use, and 200-299 were already in use.

Then they add a 101st domestic transcon.

What happens then? You end up with 1176, or worse, 1308.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
"Okay let's see. What flight are you on?"
"1308."
"I've never heard of that flight. Is that Air Canada?"
"Yes"
"To where?"
"Toronto"
"Oh wow that must be a new flight number.........oh hey it worked, here's your boarding pass."
So this naturally requires juggling a bunch of flight numbers. But if you've hit the limit on domestic transcon, and are getting close on Rapidair, why not preemptively fix everything? Rather than doing a small renumbering now, and a small one in six months, you make a reasonable effort to ensure you won't have to do this again for years.

Passengers don't care about flight numbers. My mom books a flight, gets an email, makes sure the times are correct. Then day of departure, she has a printout of that email, and hands it to the check-in agent.

Using OLCI, you enter name and origin, but never your flight number.

The only people who really need to know flight numbers are the employees, and I suspect this makes it much easier for them.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 1085 from TLV?

The wiki says this for flights in this number range

1000-1099 US All Haul Types

So I just saw AC 1085 on the FlightAware AC aircraft map

Is this a charter? Overflow? Ferry flight?

Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Looks like they added 1000 to 85. Replacement flight?
Old May 2, 2017, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Looks like they added 1000 to 85. Replacement flight?
On the AC Flight Status page, there is no AC 85 for May 2 or 3, but it is there for May 4. So maybe you're right.
Old May 3, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC 966 has been re-branded ACr1714

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.