Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recent/upcoming flights: YQM-YUL-GVA; GVA-TUN; YQM-YYZ-YYC; YQM-YUL-FRA-SKG; SKG-ATH-YUL-YQM

I will be flying YQM-YYZ-YVR, but with a short overnight in YYZ.

JUL15 AC8943 YQM-YYZ 2030-2209 DH4
JUL16 AC101 YYZ-YVR 0700-0850 789

My question is the following: I will be staying at the Sheraton Gateway, but I would rather not have to collect my luggage at YYZ. In other words, I would like to through check my luggage and have it stay "overnight" in YYZ. I'm travelling with kids and it would be easier to just have everything we need for the short night in our carry-ons. Is this possible?

One AC agent says there should be no problem, while the other says that it will not be allowed as luggage cannot stay "overnight" in the airport. If this were a daytime connection, apparently the 8 hours in transit would not be a problem for my luggage.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:28 pm

Last few times I've tried this, going through YYZ, I wasn't allowed. I checked in at Jazz stations though (YXE, YQR, YPR), where they might not be able to, or might not be allowed to do any manual override of what usually is a domestic 4 hour connection bag hold limit. Even during the daytime, I wasn't allowed (ie: a 6 hour connection at YYZ!).

So YMMV.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K
So what exactly happens in cases like this (I'm interested since I want to do the same thing later this year)? Does some system(baggage handling?) simply determine that the next flight is too far away and put it out on the conveyor belt with everyone else even though the luggage is checked all the way through to the destination, or do they(AC at your starting departure point) not allow you to check the luggage all the way through in the first place?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by padawanflyer
So what exactly happens in cases like this (I'm interested since I want to do the same thing later this year)? Does some system(baggage handling?) simply determine that the next flight is too far away and put it out on the conveyor belt with everyone else even though the luggage is checked all the way through to the destination, or do they(AC at your starting departure point) not allow you to check the luggage all the way through in the first place?
You'll know at the origin. If they put a bag tag on it, they do take full responsibility for it.

Occasionally bags will arrive before passengers. I used to fly out of here so often that the bag guy basically knew me and was waiting, with my bag, as I exit the secured area, lol, in those cases where the bag travelled on an earlier flight.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
When we have a layover at YYZ our bags are not checked through to destination. We have to claim them at YYZ and check in the following morning. You can leave your bags at the Samsonite store in T1 (after check in before domestic security level 3) not sure if they are in T3 as well. https://www.torontopearson.com/Compo...tailerid=3250#
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
You can leave your bags at the Samsonite store in T1 (after check in before domestic security level 3) not sure if they are in T3 as well. https://www.torontopearson.com/Compo...tailerid=3250#
They have two locations in T3.
https://www.hhof.com/pdf/Samsonite_Luggage_Storage.pdf
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What are the rules on this for international? We're doing YYC-YYZ-BGI with overnight in YYZ, would prefer not to have to pick up the checked bag in YYZ.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What are the rules on this for international? We're doing YYC-YYZ-BGI with overnight in YYZ, would prefer not to have to pick up the checked bag in YYZ.
When I traveled with my peon friend YYZ YVR ICN all one ticket and with an overnight at YVR, she had checked bags and I asked the concierge staff to check them through. They all said this was not possible and that we had to retrieve the bags and recheck them back in prior to AC63 the next day, which we did. This was early 2013. Not sure if things have changed since. I doubt this is airport specific either.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I've always had to claim bags overnight at YYZ and YVR, most recently earlier this year. My understanding is that absent some kind of manual intervention like the concierge claiming your bag and storing it overnight, the baggage systems simply can't handle this scenario.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I once flew SFO-YVR-YYZ-YOW.

YYZ-YOW was cancelled, and I was rebooked the next morning.

Baggage staff said there was no way for me to get my bags that night.

Definitely a special (and understandable) circumstance, but it is possible to have a bag stay overnight at YYZ. Even if it's not what you want
zappy312 and p106_peppy like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
While you might try, as routinely do YVR-YYZ then Caribbean/Central America for work, have NOT had the experience that AC will through check bag when arriving late evening.

Only time through check is when leaving on red-eye, when cnx just few hours - just did this on the YYZ-LHR dayliner

let us know if you manage it, and have a great trip
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Not possible to check the bags through with the overnight. Very frustrating, given that our flight was ~45 minutes late and then we waited over an hour for bags because the cargo door on the 333 was frozen (those planes always screw me over with one mechanical issue or another), so it made for a very late night and a shorter sleep than it would have needed to be.

Concierges said that security regulations made it impossible. If that's the case, perhaps Canada needs to look at this. Even the Paranoid States of America can get its head around this - UA kept my bag overnight a few months ago on IAH-DEN (overnight stop)-YYC, and I very much appreciated not having to both wait around for my bag and then arrive early the next day to check it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:18 pm

I've experienced recently twice in different occasion.

1) US - YYZ - Domestic
When YYZ-Domestic flight was canceled, I had to pick up the bag and stored in a private storage

2) International - YYZ - US
As YYZ-US flight was canceled but already entered US zone (terminal F), I left the baggage and stayed at a hotel, which means entered Canada. ---

The later should be the special occasion and you won't be able to ask them to check in early in the previous day of the flight.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP
12 hr layover in YVR -- what happens to checked luggage?

We will be travelling ANC-YVR-YYZ. To avoid a redeye, we have a 12-hour layover in YVR, and plan to spend the night at the Sheraton Gateway in the airport.
My questions are: What happens to checked baggage during the long layover? Will we have access to it, or will it be checked through for the next morning's flight? If we will have access to baggage during the layover, will we have to pay a second bag fee to re-check it for the YVR-YYZ leg? If it matters, we have no status on AC.

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
The Sheraton Gateway is in YYZ, not YVR. I rarely check bags, so I have no advice there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.