Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Overnight Layover and Short-Checking Baggage?

Ive never flown AC before but am considering an AC itinerary (SEA-YVR-PVG) via a redemption with some UA miles. The option Im looking at has a 12-16 hour overnight layover in YVR. Will AC allow me to short check my baggage to YVR for the overnight layover and then recheck the baggage the following morning?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:23 am

Of course, and absolutely. In fact, they might not even give you the option of checking your bags all the way through given such a large overnight time between flights.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
Of course, and absolutely. In fact, they might not even give you the option of checking your bags all the way through given such a large overnight time between flights.
They won't even let you through-check bags with an 8-hour overnight layover, so for sure OP will have to pick them up in YVR.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
You may even be able to get a free hotel out of air Canada. look up the air Canada stop over program.

I did it in YVR you can recheck your bags right away or you can check one bag at the airport at night and one in the morning.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
You will not be able to thru check based on my experience. I flew YYZ-YVR-KOA last year with an overnight layover. I wasn't even asked, the bags were automatically short checked.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m happy to learn the bags can/will be short checked and I also very much appreciate the info for the Stopover Program as I was unaware of that.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by LesDorgo
You may even be able to get a free hotel out of air Canada. look up the air Canada stop over program.
On a UA redemption? Really? I'd be astonished..... Thought that only applied to higher buckets of [revenue] AC tickets?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
It's $49 in lower buckets (branded names). It makes no mention of redemption flights though.

Might be fun to try. Air Canada Vacations: Stopover
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:33 pm

I have never flown Air Canada. On most trips for the past 30 years I was able to check the bag through if the connection was less than 24 hours. On United in Jan. 2017 I was not able to check my bag through from MIA to Manila because I had a 14 hour connection in Honolulu. In August I have a flight from EZE (Buenos Aires) to Toronto, then connecting to Chicago after a 2 hour connection, then Miami. United now has a 12 hour rule. I am able to cut out the Chicago stop and fly directly to Miami. But this brings the connection in Toronto to 13 hours. If I need to reclaim bags in Toronto and take to the hotel I will not change from a 3 segment to a 2 segment trip. At 65 with a bad knee, and a retired attorney who has done discrimination work, thinking disability discrimination.

After 12 hours of travel the last thing you want to do is lug 2 large bags to a hotel.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
I have never flown Air Canada. On most trips for the past 30 years I was able to check the bag through if the connection was less than 24 hours. On United in Jan. 2017 I was not able to check my bag through from MIA to Manila because I had a 14 hour connection in Honolulu. In August I have a flight from EZE (Buenos Aires) to Toronto, then connecting to Chicago after a 2 hour connection, then Miami. United now has a 12 hour rule. I am able to cut out the Chicago stop and fly directly to Miami. But this brings the connection in Toronto to 13 hours. If I need to reclaim bags in Toronto and take to the hotel I will not change from a 3 segment to a 2 segment trip. At 65 with a bad knee, and a retired attorney who has done discrimination work, thinking disability discrimination.

After 12 hours of travel the last thing you want to do is lug 2 large bags to a hotel.
Generally speaking, AC won't hold onto bags overnight. If you're coming in at 8am and leaving at 8pm, I'd wager it can be checked through. If you're coming in at 8pm and leaving 8am, then no.

I have been told at least five times in YYZ that I can't check my bag in at 11pm-1am for a flight departing at 6-8am, flying J. It's fairly common in North America unfortunately due to 9/11 fears (many airports, particularly in the US, prohibit luggage storage or require stored luggage be xrayed first).

There is a luggage storage open early and late to store checked bags, very near AC checkin. It's around $10 for a large checked bag if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
There is a luggage storage open early and late to store checked bags, very near AC checkin. It's around $10 for a large checked bag if I remember correctly.
Excess Baggage
Excess baggage provides passengers at Toronto Pearson with professional baggage services.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Compo...=21474840993##
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I once flew SFO-YVR-YYZ-YOW.

YYZ-YOW was cancelled, and I was rebooked the next morning.

Baggage staff said there was no way for me to get my bags that night.

Definitely a special (and understandable) circumstance, but it is possible to have a bag stay overnight at YYZ. Even if it's not what you want
That is different in that they treat it as you and your bags have been separated (by the airline not the traveler). At that point it can go on any flight.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jerry305
Excess Baggage
Excess baggage provides passengers at Toronto Pearson with professional baggage services.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Compo...=21474840993##
There is one of these baggage services at YVR also.

What would be much better are left luggage lockers (things like these https://www.omnioninc.com/) They are still common in Europe but must be installed just outside the terminal building. Before 9/11 they were more common in North America.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:52 am

YYZ overnight layover with checked baggage?

Hi everyone,

I'll have a upcoming trip to YYC Calgary from YHZ Halifax coming up in March with a overnight layover in YYZ Toronto. Ideally I would preferred to not have a overnight layover in YYZ but the tickets was booked via Aeroplan as a fixed mileage business class ticket for both myself and my wife and there was no other options available at the time of bookings for the dates we wanted when we booked our tickets as it will be the start of March break for Nova Scotia.

I have traveled before with a overnight layover in YYZ before but have always been required to pickup our bags in YYZ before going onto our hotel for the night.

Now after imputing my booking details into the Air Canada mobile app for this trip in March, it says Layover in Toronto Pearson YYZ 10h 54m You do not need to collect your bags.

It was understanding I would have to pick up my bags as they dont hold bags overnight in YYZ, or have the rules since been relaxed? If this info in the app is correct, it will be great because it save us a hour waiting for our bags in YYZ as we will be traveling with a fair bit of luggage including ski bags and will mean we can go right to our hotel with hand luggage only.

I would be grateful for your input on this because when I called Air Canada they were not very helpful and told me to talk to the check-in counter in Halifax on the day of departure as they could not answer my question over the phone.

I also have another question if my flight was to be cancelled due to weather, it happened to me last year!! would I have to call Air Canada to re-book my flights or would I have call Aeroplan?

Also what are your thoughts on Air Canada On My Way, because I can add it to my booking for a extra 40.25 per person for the the flight to Calgary, and is there any real benefit to me by adding this?

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Last edited by halifaxtraveler; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:10 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.