Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Eupgrade failure. Thoughts and advice? (part rant) )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan and Flying Blue

So i waited till t-10 days and signed in.
Didn't get an upgrade, but was wait-listed.
Cest la vie....

Traveling home from YVR to YYZ... i check in online and see I'm wait-listed for business. Nice... get to YVR Airport... Go to check a bag... ask the question...how far down the list am I?.. your not on the list!
What? can you add me? yes I'll try... sorry I cant add you..system wont let me.

Call Altitude line. They say I'm on the list.
They say try with the Gate Agent.. I do...she says your not on the list.
I showed her the Altitude message... shoulder shrug.
get back to messaging the altitude folks.
they INSIST that I'm on the list, and that I should ask gate agent again.
400 pax all trying to get on AC034... I'm not going to be that guy I tell them.
They need to fix the $hit show they created. You wouldn't expect a guest in a restaurant to fix the restaurant problem !!

Any advice... or whatever... AC has taken so much away and nickled and dimed so much, I'm seriously thinking of saying status...

anyways..end of rant... any advice? contact Customer Service?...
cheers
Valk33

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 30, 2017 at 1:09 am Reason: profanity
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There are two lists.

One in reservations, and one in DCS.

Sometimes it doesn't transfer over. I don't know why. The last time this happened to me, I called the concierge, and he confirmed that was the issue, and fixed it somehow.

If you're on the res list, you'll get an error trying to get added to the DCS list.

One thing you can do is cancel the upgrade request through the website or over the phone, then they should be able to add you to the list at the airport.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1829439-ac-ft-tips-proper-rant.html

Missing a date, but not bad.

Good idea remove then re-add but that may drop you down the list. Though you would at least be in it.

AC are likely to use language along the lines of eUps aren't guaranteed and are a benefit so their failing IT isn't their problem. Planning on a nice YYZ to SYD in J? Now would be a good time to get a good will voucher for 5-20% off.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Good idea remove then re-add but that may drop you down the list. Though you would at least be in it.
At the gate, it's based on check-in time (i.e. sequence number), not request time, so this wouldn't impact the priority.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan and Flying Blue
Thanks for the input... my challenge is...

imagine using Starbucks Order ahead app..
You pre-order a triple shot unicorn whatever...
your phone says..Yes...you got it...
you get there ..and its gone...

you talk to a MANAGER... and he/she says

talk to the Barista... they can fix it...
NO THEY CANT IF THE UNICORNS ARE GONE>>
Same deal with upgrades...

Why am I asked to hassle a gate saying no, when the system says yes...

AC is messed up. The Ac IOS App crashed 3 times today.

AC Mod/Lurker/Agent/Fan/Whatever... on here.

Feel free to reach out to me. I'm done with your ..........

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 30, 2017 at 1:09 am Reason: profanity
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
At the gate, it's based on check-in time (i.e. sequence number), not request time, so this wouldn't impact the priority.
Can you remove the upgrade request without canceling OLCI? If not, do you retain the same sequence number when you recheck in?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Can you remove the upgrade request without canceling OLCI? If not, do you retain the same sequence number when you recheck in?
I don't know if you'd have to offload yourself, but you would retain the same sequence number when you check back in.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
So sorry, but its Air Canada, they don't care about the customer. When you called that AC person should have fixed the problem, you should NOT need to do anything more.

What you need to understand on "this board" many AC flyers, have lots of suggestion on what you should do.

reality if you can, get status with another airline.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
It's based on status. Neither check-in time nor request time enters into the equation.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
It's based on status. Neither check-in time nor request time enters into the equation.
Please elaborate on this statement.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:52 am

Lightbulb

Back when I lived in Canada I held status with AC, even SE for a few years. As of last year I live in US and fly with DL, pretty much every week. Initially status-matched to Gold, I have since earned it this year.

So, why am I chiming in? Well, the issue of upgrade waitlists is not a new one... If you dig through FT AP archives, the lack of reliability and visibility of the said waitlists has been a topic of our discussions FOR YEARS. The fact that AC has yet to fix it is, to me, mind-boggling.

Let me tell you how this works with DL... Immediately after I make a reservation in economy through my corporate travel agency, an upgrade request is generated by virtue of my status and my preference recorded in the DL SkyMiles. The upgrade request is for both Comfort+ (DL's version of premium economy) and First. Sometimes the upgrade clears prior to check-in. When it doesn't, the moment I check in I can - on-line, in DL mobile app, or on a screen at the gate:
1) see my place on the upgrade lists (one list for Comfort+, one for First);
2) see the number of seats available in both upgrade classes;
3) see when the upgrade actually clears.
Once the upgrade clears, the new seat assignment shows up in my mobile app, and/or if needed the gate printer spits out a new BP for me after scanning the old one. This happens with 100% consistency and reliability. There is no drama, no guessing, no uncertainty...and no need for me to become DL's shadow IT SME. I know that my name will be on the list.

Just saying...

Last edited by blue2002; Apr 29, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time.

In that order.

I mean I understand calling me out on things is a passion for some, but this isn't even hard to verify:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-priority.html

Or if you also think Ben is lying:
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...s/request.html
Click "How upgrade availability is determined for upgrades to Business Class"
Followed by "Within 24 hours of departure"

Originally Posted by blue2002
So, why am I chiming in? Well, the issue of upgrade waitlists is not a new one... If you dig through FT AP archives, the lack of reliability and visibility of the said waitlists has been a topic of our discussions FOR YEARS. The fact that AC has yet to fix it is, to me, mind-boggling.
The upgrade list is visible. And I'm not sure what you mean by "reliability". The only thing broken on the list was fixed less than a month after it was discussed on FT.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:09 am

And I'm not sure what you mean by "reliability".
Read the OP.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by blue2002
Read the OP.
Ah okay.

To be fair, this is the only technical issue I've ever seen with the upgrade list.

Not the only INSTANCE of this issue (it hit me once and a nominee once), but the only technical issue I've seen.

The big problem with this one is that it's hard to fix each instance if someone involved doesn't understand what's going on. Passenger is not on the onload list. Attempt to add, and you get an error saying "passenger already requested upgrade".

My only advice is to keep writing in about these things.

And the quicker you do it after the flight, the easier it is for them to go in and see what happened.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Honestly not being able to use separate account to e-up departure and return flight is a pretty big fail too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.