Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Forced *checked* bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Forced *checked* bag?

I had to pick up a lost item at the check-in counter here in CLT (and attempt to get pre-check). Agent required me to give up my carry-on. "Super elite, it will be free" as if that is the point; I don't want to risk the failure rate transferring it. I grant the standard roller bag did not fit in the thingy, but it's a carry on size, the plane is wrong.

Had I just used the app, or printed the BP, I'd just walk through security and gate check things.

What is the rule here?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
The rule is it has to fit in the baggage sizer.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've cleared security dozens of time *this year* onto midget planes with this exact combo of roller bag and backpack.

Gate check I'm fine with, I'm almost sure I'll get the bag back.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I assume you mean Skycheck? Skycheck is still only available for carryon bags that meet carryon baggage restrictions. If your bag does not fit into the sizer, then it is not carryon bag compliant and therefore not eligible for skycheck. Thus it should be checked in as checked baggage.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by YYC009
I assume you mean Skycheck? Skycheck is still only available for carryon bags that meet carryon baggage restrictions. If your bag does not fit into the sizer, then it is not carryon bag compliant and therefore not eligible for skycheck. Thus it should be checked in as checked baggage.
^^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Ya but security is thinking the bag has to fit the known dimensions, on a smaller plane they allow the ability to drop off and put on that little table or leave by the door.

I actually think the AC rep is correct here.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:15 pm

If it doesn't fit in the sizer it needs to be checked.

You are right though. Many passengers bring items that are way too big for the sizer all the time, probably because they never speak to anyone during check-in because they use the kiosk or online check-in and you probably would have gotten away with it if you did the same as well.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by B407
If it doesn't fit in the sizer it needs to be checked.

You are right though. Many passengers bring items that are way too big for the sizer all the time, probably because they never speak to anyone during check-in because they use the kiosk or online check-in and you probably would have gotten away with it if you did the same as well.
+1

I still have the little plastic thing on my carryon handle that they were attaching to roller bags back when AC was on their carryon sizing binge a while ago. It is badly crumpled and almost completely faded from dozens of flights since then but I like to think it still wards off overzealous agents when I occasionally have to go see one at an airport
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:43 pm

"I've cleared security dozens of time *this year* onto midget planes with this exact combo of roller bag and backpack."

I wonder if a serial killer could use the same defence when they are finally caught.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Sounds to me like the Agent did the right thing and followed policy for once.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
. I grant the standard roller bag did not fit in the thingy, but it's a carry on size, the plane is wrong.
Is this some kind of jest? Surely you are aware that some smaller planes have smaller on board luggage compartments.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
"I've cleared security dozens of time *this year* onto midget planes with this exact combo of roller bag and backpack."

I wonder if a serial killer could use the same defence when they are finally caught.
People use this as a reason for complaining about being hassled at the border.

The more human interaction, the more likelihood of increased scrutiny. Smaller outstations are even better for this given the less desensitized they are, of lower volume (of pax) they deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.